• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is there a chance of switch to Linux Base.....

krueger_jeffrey

As you know that Microsoft has killed Windows Media Center... I've been watching SiliconDust and waiting to see what MyMovies.dk will be coming out as an alternative to get away from Microsoft... I know SiliconDust is adding DVR services to Linux base O/S & Kodi and hoping that MyMovies will follow what they are doing...

I would like to see SlySoft come out with there products for Linux base system...

Short annswer no

Linux is open source and requires every thing with it be open source ELBY and SlySoft products are mostly proprietary and will not outsource code otherwise who would buy.

Linux is open source and requires every thing with it be open source ELBY and SlySoft products are mostly proprietary and will not outsource code otherwise who would buy.

I didn't know Linux had such requirements. Aren't some closed source Microsoft/Adobe applications available on some distros? (Skype/Flash etc)

Last edited:
I too would like to see a Linux version. Microsoft is actively pushing users away from their OS, and aims to be the third most popular OS behind Linux and Apple.

Unfortunately, the reality is that it will probably never happen. While closed source software DOES exist for Linux, releasing SlySoftware under Linux as a closed source app would require SlySoft to support all the popular distros, and their updates. If the app were open sourced, then the community would likely build the software for all the different platforms. Also, they would likely need to find and hire additional developers to support Linux. Even if they created a version which supported, say, Ubuntu, all the non Ubuntu users would want a copy for their favorite distro.

If Linux ever became a monolithic OS like Windows, we would probably get a lot more support for different applications. But then, it wouldn't really be Linux any more. Kind of a catch 22.

One POSSIBLE solution is for SlySoft to open source most of their code, while keeping certain parts of their code closed source, possibly in proprietary libraries. If done correctlly, it would allow the community to provide support for different distributions while keeping the important bits of code closed source.

Back