• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual Clone Drive #101

idaho

I have searched but found nothing; sure that this has been asked before...
I know Clone Drive works and works well, but how does it work?

Simply; (From a previously created .iso video file) Does using the Clone Drive load an .iso image file onto the System Drive and play from a file created on the System Drive, or does it it 'grind' -away (in real-time) on the HDD that the .iso image file is originally on? Further, If I have a SSD system drive in my computer (and "if" it actually plays from the newly created file from the System Drive) there would be no HDD running while playing said .iso video?
Hope that makes sense...:confused:

VCD is an optical drive emulator. It simulates a real optical drive, but instead of like a real one where you actually insert discs you feed VCD ISO image from on your hard drive (or one of the other supported file extensions). That iso is then loaded into the virtual drive and you get to see the content of the iso as if it were a real physical disc inside the drive. Since it acts as a real drive (but isn't one) any movie player will get to see it, as the drive is listed in windows explorer.

PowerDVD, Windows media player, totalmedia theatre, they all see the drive. To play a movie iso is simple. Load the ISO into VCD, fire up your software dvd player, select the virtual drive > hit play. All done

VCD simulates an optical drive, Windows still reads the data off the drive you have the image stored on.

So yes, the hard-drive is running and being accessed while data is being retrieved from the image.

VCD simulates an optical drive, Windows still reads the data off the drive you have the image stored on.

So yes, the hard-drive is running and being accessed while data is being retrieved from the image.

That's what I was looking for...soo; If the video.iso file is on the System Drive and VCD is also on the System Drive (with the System Drive being a Solid State Drive) it would appear there would be no Hard Disk Drive running as all the operations would be spooling off the Solid State Drive...eh?

That's what I was looking for...soo; If the video.iso file is on the System Drive and VCD is also on the System Drive (with the System Drive being a Solid State Drive) it would appear there would be no Hard Disk Drive running as all the operations would be spooling off the Solid State Drive...eh?

Easy way to look at it is that VCD mysteriously added another drive to your system and just as mysteriously transformed an .iso file into a physical disk. When you mount the .iso file with VCD it replicates the action of inserting a disk. Just doing that, if PowerDVD was your default auto play option would cause it to load and start playing the "disk".

The only physical drive access going on is reading from the image file, VCD once started doesn't access the drive by itself. It is in RAM.

Windows itself is much more drive intensive than VCD.

Back