• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

So, how do you guys store all of your backups / mp4's / mkv's?

lostkiwi

I'm in a predicament.

I've been collecting bluray sets of shows for quite some time now - I'll rip them to hard disk using AnyDVD, and then convert them to Mp4 using handbrake.

The problem is, I've now almost filled up my secondary 3TB hard drive, and I don't have the physical space in my PC to add another drive. Not only that, I also don't have the mp4's backed up (I do still have the original blurays though, so no biggie)

So, what solution do you guys use for storage? My obvious option would be to purchase a few external harddrives and store them on that. Another more robust solution would be to get a full blown 4 drive raid system, however I'd have to sink quite a lot of money into a system like that. Probably at least half a grand including the drives.

Are there any other options I'm overlooking? And what generally do you guys do in this respect?

Cheers

you can never tell when a hd will crash. Personally, i keep a hard copy in paper sleeves in a drawer, plus anothe printed hard copy in dvd cases, while at the same time, saving an iso file on my hard drive. This is probably overkill to most, when a 3tb drive crashes, which will hold a lot of movies @dvd-5 iit is really better to be safe than sorry.

Difficult to carry a 3TB hard drive to a friends house to watch a movie.

Cheap standard size CD case, with movie printing on the disk, spline printing red for Blu-ray and black for standard definition, front and back covers of the movie. Stores all size disks DVD-5, DVD-9, BD-R

One large bookshelf stores the entire library. What would you rather go bad, one 3TB hard drive with MANY movies or one DVD/Blu-ray disk with one movie. Software players can play from a home grown back-up disk if you have an optical drive.

I'm not sure what you mean by carrying a 3tb drive to a friends house - They are very small in size - You would just then need to plug it into any USB device, such as a gaming console, newer DVD players or newer TV's, and you could access all shows/movies without swapping any media. Not that it matters though since I wouldn't actually ever play my media at a friends house, or if I did I'd take the original bluray over.

I literally have boxes full of blurays - I am actually trying to move away from more discs, not have more :/ Not just to mention, but the amount of shows I have would roughly equate to 60 BD-R discs even when stored as mp4's.

I could actually buy two 3TB hardrives for around $300 and then keep 2 copies of all of my shows, one offsite, would would then also provide a backup with a hard drive failure. But the problem is, that would be a temporary solution - Next year I will no doubt have another few Terrabytes worth of shows, and the cycle would continue of having to buy another hard-drive. Which is why the raid option is appealing, but expensive.

I was hoping that someone else had a more graceful solution.

On HDD's (External) I have a few HDD's holding the same titles and put them back in their box for storage in case something happens to my HDD's I use to watch.

I have a NAS/Desktop setup. I have like 7 -3tb drives full of movies. I don't watch like what you doing but then again I burned most of my movies to play back on DVD/BD media to play back without the protection. I don't convert my movies in iso format to others to preserve the movie and contents itself so if the need ever arise I can burned the image back to DVD/BD media. As for watching over friend house I think you can still burn back to BD media and still be able to enjoy the movie themselves having portable drives you could drop or loose it or format it by accident and loose all your movies. Not saying you can step/break/sit on your own media as well either.....

I'm in a predicament.

I've been collecting bluray sets of shows for quite some time now - I'll rip them to hard disk using AnyDVD, and then convert them to Mp4 using handbrake.

The problem is, I've now almost filled up my secondary 3TB hard drive, and I don't have the physical space in my PC to add another drive. Not only that, I also don't have the mp4's backed up (I do still have the original blurays though, so no biggie)

So, what solution do you guys use for storage? My obvious option would be to purchase a few external harddrives and store them on that. Another more robust solution would be to get a full blown 4 drive raid system, however I'd have to sink quite a lot of money into a system like that. Probably at least half a grand including the drives.

Are there any other options I'm overlooking? And what generally do you guys do in this respect?

Cheers

buy a bigger computer case. it's not that difficult to move all your stuff over. you may need a new power supply for more cables.

Well.. I don't have that many to store, but what I do have, is full VOB backups on one drive... and I burn to disk the ones my kid wants and those I want to keep off the drive just in case.

Seeing as media can be lost just as easily as a drive, I've been considering burning all my media someday to the M Disks. I haven't tested any of them out yet, I only have one that came with an LG drive I purchased. The BD drive I bought was OEM from the store, so it came with just the drive.. they are supposed to be more permanent then standard disks, so if they burn well, and play well, at least I know I have something to fall back on in case I need to put them back on a drive.

Only time I compress and encode to MP4, or M4K (same format right?) is so my kid can watch the movies on my cell. Pretty much takes your 4.5G file down to around 650MB on the average, so it saves space.. but I don't like wasting all that money and time losing quality.

Now... for those DVDs that I buy, and don't want to store.. I simply back them up and put them in a DVD case.

Only time I compress and encode to MP4, or M4K (same format right?) ...

Do you mean MKV rather than M4K?

Is so, then it's kinda the same, in that that is simply the container, which itself doesn't directly affect the quality of the media that it contains - The actual quality of the content itself would theoretically be the same if they both were encoded using the same codec (typically H.264).

Mp4's as a container is more universally supported, however MKV's have more support with subtitles and chapters and such.

I guess a hypothetical example, if you think of a book, MP4 & MKV would equate to the cover and index page. The actual story itself is common to both.

The best way to preserve the original quality of movies and not having to worry about runing out of space or a disaster of a hard drive crash is to backup to a blu-ray disc or DVD in case of DVD format, You may have a wall full of discs but it's a peace of mind.

Back