• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Optiars BD ROM 5500A Not Reading Blurays?

Johno75

Hi Guys,

I have this bluray drive in my laptop which i bought in 2007/2008 OPTIARC BD ROM BC-5500A 1.B4 AUG17,2007

I am running anydvd-hd 7.1.6.0 and lately none of my bluray discs will read and appear in the drive. cd's and dvd's are fine but not blurays. This happens with older bluray releases as well as new ones.

Now what could be the cause of this. I was thinkng that my bluray drive is dying but if it reads cd's/dvd/s perhaps it's not? if it is the drive dying can anyone recommend a suitable replacement drive (bluray burner this time maybe instead of just bluray reader)

Would it be an anydvdhd issue??

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers
Johno

The Blu-ray side of the drive uses a different laser head to the CD/DVD's so it's quite possible that it will still read/write CD/DVD's and not Blu-ray's.

If you want a replacement internal then the Samsung SN-506AB isn't too bad, or you could get the same model as a slimline external that writes via USB Samsung SE-506BB

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply mate. Much appreciated.

I don't suppose there's anyway to test the drive to make sure it is the laser etc as don't really want to buy a new drive if not needed.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Identical to the OP, except my drive is a BC-5500S.

Is it just coincidence both our drives started failing around the same time?

Update: I was able to get my drive to read a bd.

Steps I took to get it to work:
1. downgraded to 7.1.5.0
2. placed bd in drive
3. exited anydvd software
4. open windows explorer and click on bd drive letter.
5. the drive pops open. I closed it. Then Windows recognized the bd.
6. I then started Anydvd and it started it's process of reading the bd.

Next, I will try going back to the current version of Anydvd.

Update: I updated to the current version 7.1.6.0. After rebooting, Anydvd recognized the bd immediately. All seems to be well. I will post updates if it starts acting up again.

P.S. I just ordered a LG BE14NU40 thinking my bdrom was failing. Now trying to decide if I want to cancel the order, or just go ahead and get it.

Well the OP could test that by uninstalling AnyDVD HD and seeing if the discs are then seen. If not then it's still most likely he has a failing drive

Thanks guys. Ill give all that a go tomorrow as at work now. Where can I download version 7.1.5.0 as you can only download current version which I have from slysoft site can't you?

Just try removing AnyDVD HD and see if you can then see the Blu-rays in explorer, if you can't then it's the drive

Update: It's not reading bd's again. I'm leaning towards the bluray portion of the drive failing at this point. I'll post again when my new LG drive arrives. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

I disabled anydvd and some Blu-ray Discs still don show up in windows explorer so its pretty much definite my drive is dying.

Will look for a new drive when I get some time.

Got my new LG BE14NU40 today. I popped in one of the BD's I was previously having problems with and the new drive recognized it right away. I'm convinced the issue all along was a failing drive, NOT the AnyDVD software. I hope this helps anyone else having similar issues.

Sony LAPTOP drive BC-5500H

Update: It's not reading bd's again. I'm leaning towards the bluray portion of the drive failing at this point. I'll post again when my new LG drive arrives. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

I have somewhat different problem. My drive does not read any bluray dvd from foxconnect.com! BC-5500H.jpg

If you like trying to fix it yourself:

Try cleaning the lens on the old optical unit with rubbing alcohol and a cotton tip if you can reach it with the door open and case off.

Back