• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request: Option for AnyDVD to Auto-Update

James comes through again. I for one think the popup that a new version is available is enough but an auto update will do just fine.:rock:

Just regsitered to second (or maybe 3rd - perhaps even n'th) the request for this feature...

By the way, I was thrilled when I was watching a Blu-ray on my HTPC and the Slysoft tray icon stole focus and popped-up an update notification. Just what I was hoping to see while watching my movie. Not.

That's odd. Have you disabled AnyDVD's tray notification icon?

Any UP-dates?

Or is there an alternative way to do it? As in auto-download the new version to a folder on a server and then have Windows run a silent-install?

Last edited:
Not likely

I don't know what James was thinking three years ago but I do not see anything like an automatic install or even an automatic download and "park" coming any time soon.

YOU may know what you are doing and where to look for such a download and you may also not mind if a program rings the doorbell and is doing its thing without you in the loop.

From 5 years plus doing this support thing I do not hold much from such automatic things other than notification which you can turn off as you like.

One does not need a sophisticated crystal ball to imagine the horror scenarios of automatic updating.

I'm gonna chime into this thread just to say that if people are too lazy to click a download link in the mails you get from SlySoft when the software is updated, then they maybe just don't deserve owning a computer at all.

The actual system is fine, don't waste your developer time just for a few lazy people, but keep on the good job on enhancing your fantastic software instead.

I don't know what James was thinking three years ago but I do not see anything like an automatic install or even an automatic download and "park" coming any time soon.

YOU may know what you are doing and where to look for such a download and you may also not mind if a program rings the doorbell and is doing its thing without you in the loop.

From 5 years plus doing this support thing I do not hold much from such automatic things other than notification which you can turn off as you like.

One does not need a sophisticated crystal ball to imagine the horror scenarios of automatic updating.

Even though AnyDVD is quite a benign program I would not want it updating automatically. Automatic updates cause jerky ISO playback and that's not wanted.
When I want to create some ISO's I simply come to this forum and install the latest BETA.
I hope that automatic updating is NEVER implemented !

AnyDVD is good enough right now. It doesn't need the bell and whistles like Fengtao's stuff to do the job.

Simplicity is the key, and what keeps AnyDVD humming along.

:D

I'm gonna chime into this thread just to say that if people are too lazy to click a download link in the mails you get from SlySoft when the software is updated, then they maybe just don't deserve owning a computer at all.

The actual system is fine, don't waste your developer time just for a few lazy people, but keep on the good job on enhancing your fantastic software instead.

People, the post title says OPTION for automatics updates, not MANDATORY automatic updates. The option can be deselected by default.

MyMovies for Windows Home Server has been auto-updating AnyDVD for several years now and I've never had a problem because of it. But I have to manually remote desktop into my HTPCs and update AnyDVD on them. I have better things to do than manually update software on multiple computers. The true cost of ownership is the amount of your life something consumes and "keep my software updated manually" is not on my bucket list.

multiples?

. I have better things to do than manually update software on multiple computers. The true cost of ownership is the amount of your life something consumes and "keep my software updated manually" is not on my bucket list.

How about adding some licenses to your "bucket list" and do the ethically correct thing to start the new year?
Where did you read that we sell this stuff as shareware?
Read the EULA: http://www.slysoft.com/en/terms.html

How about adding some licenses to your "bucket list" and do the ethically correct thing to start the new year?

Frank, Happy New Year to you and the guys/gals at Slysoft, and a question: Could you (if you wanted to) blacklist the license of the person that posted before you for clearly violating the EULA for AnyDVD?

(No disrespect meant to that person, by the way.)

The software he's using looks promising, and I'm thinking of using it, but I'm certainly not going to violate the EULA for any of the Slysoft products, since you already know I have multiple licenses for all of the Slysoft products.

:)

Frank, Happy New Year to you and the guys/gals at Slysoft, and a question: Could you (if you wanted to) blacklist the license of the person that posted before you for clearly violating the EULA for AnyDVD?

(No disrespect meant to that person, by the way.)

The software he's using looks promising, and I'm thinking of using it, but I'm certainly not going to violate the EULA for any of the Slysoft products, since you already know I have multiple licenses for all of the Slysoft products.

:)
Who said he didn't have multiple licenses? (Frank, do you have ALL his email addys? ;) )

Keeping discussions on topic and trying to improve the usability of software are also NOT on my bucket list. Thus my dwindling participation in the forums over the years.

My original dream was to have an appliance-like HTPC at each TV as the single, easy-to-use interface for all of our media. I've largely given up on this and decommissioned most of my HTPCs. If I could, I'd get rid of all my Windows computers, but there is still some functionality that can't otherwise be replicated. Thus I still carry the torch for making HTPC software more user (and family) friendly while consuming less of my time.

For the record, in total, my household has purchased far more licenses than we are using or are likely to ever use again. Given that these are lifetime and not perpetual annual licenses shouldn't invalidate the request for new features; both do date back quite a few years.

By the way, I'd asked Brian Brinnerup some years ago about making a stand-alone AnyDVD updater instead of bundling it exclusively in the home server version of MyMovies. Understandably, there were other priorities. However, it does appear the next major release will unify the client and server versions of MyMovies and perhaps the AnyDVD auto-update feature will make its way to the desktop versions of Windows. Still, I think having the feature within AnyDVD would be preferable, but I'll take whatever I can get at this point.

Last edited:
Actually, I thought it has always been posted here that it's technically okay for one user to have one license and have the software installed on more than one personal machine. The only restriction being that it's not _running_ on more than one machine at any given time...

That's been mentioned by the developers/mods here in this forum several times (because people have specifically asked, and have simply been told to make sure it's not _running_ on multiple machines at once)... Is that no longer an accepted thing to do?

(Not trying to argue, just generally curious if that's something that still gets recommended...)

People, the post title says OPTION for automatics updates, not MANDATORY automatic updates. The option can be deselected by default.
And my point is that "options" also give more work to developers, using time they could spend improving the software instead.
If there ever was an "auto-update" option, I would use it. But I don't see it as needed, I see it as a waste of developer time.

Answer: yes

Who said he didn't have multiple licenses? (Frank, do you have ALL his email addys? ;) )

He has a single AnyDVD license from 2006 which he upgraded to HD in 2007 and yes, we can verify things like this. He does not own more that one license on his name and there is no other license at his postal street address and the latter item is one way to check if another resident there has licenses under a different name but living at the same address.

This got my attention: But I have to manually remote desktop into my HTPCs and update AnyDVD on them. I have better things to do than manually update software on multiple computers in his post and I doubt he has all but one turned off or disabled. A flagrant announcement of multiple real-time use can not go by without a comment. Things may take their normal course here anyway but I just wanted to draw his attention to it.

This has nothing to do with the update request and if James wants to integrate this option then that's fine.

Last edited:
I'm curious what ever happened with this feature request? Was there a technical issue why it wasn't implemented?

Back