• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Blu-ray Rental Service

dellsam34

I have been buying a lot of blu-ray movies in the last few years and trying to cut down on buying movies that are only worth watching one time so no need to add them to my collection, I was just wondering what service has the largest library of blu-rays for rent, Thanks

Best DVD Rental Service

Been very happy with Love Film, very rare that what is top of my list does not come through the door shortly after i return the last batch.

Depending on how fast you watch them and return them i suspect that they have a holding procedure to delay them a little, generally the turn round is excellent.

Down side is they do not usually have films made by Universal, does not seem to apply to all films but certainly major releases do not appear for rental untill some time afterward.

Blockbuster do have Universal movies but ther top ticket system is not what they claim and turn round seems very, very slow.

Best option woluld be for you to use both selectively, generally use Love film, use Blockbuster when there are a few films available that are not on Lovefilm.

RedBox, not a very good selection each week, but sure can't beat the price on Blu-ray for region A.
I can't remember exactly, but I think including tax, it was $1.43 each day of rental.

New releases for the week usually come on Tuesday, but some on Friday.
:agree:

Standard definition is even cheaper, something like a $1.10 per day.

Going to check out LoveFilm. I left blockbuster when something like 40% of their stores shut down, and they went to mailing, also other DVD fans told me of their bad turnaround mailing service.

That's not cheap by any standards. Compared with a subscription to Netflix with Blu-Ray option would save more in the long run on your wallet. Redbox will charge you late fees regardless and that adds up. Also you get a rental queue with larger selection to pick from.

I have been buying a lot of blu-ray movies in the last few years and trying to cut down on buying movies that are only worth watching one time so no need to add them to my collection, I was just wondering what service has the largest library of blu-rays for rent, Thanks

That will depend on where are you located? If US I would say look into Netflix aka I don't work or get paid by them. Would be a better service if your looking into rental before really wanting to buy the Blu-ray to keep. It's a subscription based service but will save you more money then daily rental fees from RedBox. And Netflix gives you more to choose from including new ones.

All you really have in the USA is Blockbuster & Netflix, the problem though is they often don't get the new releases that are not mainstream, like for example if a movie has been out on DVD for some time then finally a Blu-Ray gets released... Netflix and Blockbuster don't get it. They also don't get a lot of Blu-Ray releases from many of the independant studios, like E1.

Sorry forgot to mention my location, I'm in California and yeah looks like Bluckbuster and Netflix are my only two options, Which one of those has more blu-ray selection, I don't mind slow turnarround mailing service because I only watch movies on the weekends.

All you really have in the USA is Blockbuster & Netflix, the problem though is they often don't get the new releases that are not mainstream, like for example if a movie has been out on DVD for some time then finally a Blu-Ray gets released... Netflix and Blockbuster don't get it. They also don't get a lot of Blu-Ray releases from many of the independant studios, like E1.

And you thinking people want independent studio releases? People want blockbuster movie releases regardless of whom has it but just cause independent studios release in blu-ray that you think makes people want to get them when they are not highly acclaimed. I really wander what your talking about. Why would they want movies not mainstream they are in the business of making money and putting out independent studios blu-ray and it doesn't bring money to them is a foot in mouth decision and won't make money for their share holders. They only get it if the Big studio release it to them or if they are on their first order list to get them how you don't know that is beyond me. Just cause a movie is released on DVD and doesn't get Blu-Ray release means it not a popular movie and why put it on BR when it won't make money. That's simple business 101 and also BR unless it was produced in BR format to begin with is basically up-scaling of DVD resolution that will just be as good as BR being made from DVD format. So don't think a BR movie is all that good unless it was made with BR format from beginning to end otherwise it visually watching will just be same as DVD upscale player.

Sorry forgot to mention my location, I'm in California and yeah looks like Bluckbuster and Netflix are my only two options, Which one of those has more blu-ray selection, I don't mind slow turnarround mailing service because I only watch movies on the weekends.

Forget BB they are going dead and won't last long...RedBox unless you got money to shell out each late day for each movie don't even go for it. Netflix you get subscription level and keep long as you want and return to get the next item in queue without late charges. Redbox is good if you watch and return that day but just calculate each day charge over a month and you basically can use that late fees or fees to get a Netflix subscription plan of which you can have up to 500 queued movies and extra more if you want BR and you have 500 mix and matched DVD and BR movies to get. So if you watch alot of movies Netflix would be your best option. Forget about streaming....unless you got Fiber or T3 lines and no disruption or broken fiber your viewing times will be at their mercy.

I like Netflix. They have a huge selection, fast turn around and the disks are usually clean. Redbox is ok for the occassional rental when you want a new rental release that Netflix may not have yet, but Redbox disks can often end up with a lot of fingerprints and scratches after it's been rented a few times. It's a good idea to rent from Redbox when the titles are first available. Netflix has an inspection step after a disk is returned so dirty or bad disks are rarer.

I haven't tried Blockbuster, but from what I've seen, they don't seem to have nearly the selection that Netflix has.

The only downer with any of those services is that they don't do 3D yet. A lot more titles are coming out in 3D. I found a couple of rental places online that do 3D but they are expensive (e.g. around 5-6 bucks a day or more). Hardly worth it.

I don't watch a lot of movies, barely 2 movies/week and I don't care who gets the movie first, or if it was released few weeks ago or few months ago, and lastly I don't watch DVD's anymore only blu-rays; it's called entertainemet and I have to entertain my eyes, I've spent $600 on a 7.2 THX Onkyo home theatre system and $1600 on a 1080p Sony projector and I have to put every dollar that I've spent to work, My main concern on my first post was who have the largest selection of blu-rays, I however visited a lot of forums and they seem to agree that blockbuster has the largest selection on hand and they have a local store 3 miles from where I live so I can take the disc there and exchange it without having to wait for the mail, Netflix is still another choice if somebody who used both confirms otherwise.

Last edited:
One thing you might want to consider regarding Blockbuster is their online/by mail service: you get a BD via mail you can then go to a brick and mortar store to exchange it. Blockbuster's by mail service has different BD stock than is available in-store, more titles are available by mail. Blockbuster online service doesn't charge extra for getting BDs, Netflix does charge extra to be able to rent BDs in addition to DVDs.

Ok, Thank you all for your input, I just signed up for blockbuster $10/month one disc at a time with unlimited return and/or exchange at store, W'll see how it goes.

Ok, Thank you all for your input, I just signed up for blockbuster $10/month one disc at a time with unlimited return and/or exchange at store, W'll see how it goes.

We can commiserate together. I left Netflix when they raised their rates back when and went over (actually returned) to Blockbuster by mail. I regret the decision since Netflix doesn't offer at 3-at-a-time rental any longer and Blockbuster has been pretty horrible. Slow website, slow turnaround, long wait times, broken media (a lot more than with Netflix and, unlike Netflix, the next copy counts toward your queue again) just to name a few problems.

2012 has been a hard year for Blockbuster. Beginning with the major closings of stores and distribution centers at the beginning of the year, Blockbuster went straight into the toilet culminating with a point in the summer where they just stopped sending out movies for a week or two (they say it was because they moved the location of the servers). Since that really bad low point they've come back a little but are a long way from acceptable.

You might ask why I'm still with Blockbuster? Bottom line is, I complain constantly to Blockbuster, and often times they offer a credit to make up for all the problems so I get a discounted service. If I had to pay full price I would have left long ago. At one point, I was begging them to send me bonus discs instead of giving a credit because I had two months! of credits already.

I hope your experience is better.

Will Netflix allow one to join just the Blu-ray portion, or do you also have to pay for streaming? I went to their site, and it was ambiguous, but gave the impression that the disc by mail program was an add-on to their streaming service.

Will Netflix allow one to join just the Blu-ray portion, or do you also have to pay for streaming? I went to their site, and it was ambiguous, but gave the impression that the disc by mail program was an add-on to their streaming service.

Yes, you can just opt for the DVD/Blu Ray options. You can rent from 1 to 8 disks at a time. There is no 'just blu ray". You select both DVD and Bluray rental option or DVD only. But streaming is optional and not required.
For USA subs, the prices per month are as follows:
1. 1 DVD or BD $9.99
2. 2 DVD or BD $14.99
3. 3 DVD or BD $19.99. etc.

It's $8/mo for streaming only and if you want to add streaming to the above options, I think it's about $5 more per month. It's 2 or 3 dollars a month cheaper for DVD only (no blu rays).

edit: The prices in 1-3 are for unlimited rentals per month. My experience is that if you try to return disks more than 2 or 3 times a week, they wil throttle the rentals to slow you down (i.e. they just pretend they haven't received the disks back for up to about 6 days). But what ever plan you have, you can return that many disks about 2-3 times a week before they might kick in a throttle back once in awhile.

Netflix's profit margin is higher with just the streaming, that's why it seperated the streaming from the disk rental. Before that the base sub was 1 disk out at a time and streaming for 9/mo. They raised the prices of everything when they seperated streaming from the disk rentals, and lost a lot of subscribers and the stock price took a huge diive following that move.

But if you are sensitive to the limits that Netflix artificially puts on their "unlimited" plan, then the turn around is excellent. I can typically get new rentals 2-3 times a week with no problem.
For those that only watch a couple of movies a month, they have cheaper plans for that.

Last edited:

Let us know how that goes. IMO if the turn around time via mail is slow, that cancels out any benefit of having a local retail store and will stick with Netflix if that is the case.

Netflix pushes new customers to go streaming, the management seems to be trying to kill off the DVD business. They sure don't make it easy to sign up for a disc only membership, but it is possible. The Netflix blog gave a link for disc only subscription:

Especially as people have larger and larger TVs at home, they want the best available picture quality possible. And streaming will never do that.

Not only that, ISP's nowadays setting a data cap so you are limited on how much you can download or stream, The other day one of my friends was complaining about $35 surcharge on his internet bill because of his family members use netflix and youtube daily.

Back