• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My Media Centre Habits - A happy customer. Suggestions and comparisons please!

ggn06awu

Many conversations started here and elsewhere seem to brush over the bigger picture. I wanted to share my set up in the hope that anyone could suggest meaningful improvements I could make and to help others see what I did...

Requirements

• Very Low Power
  • Quick to boot
  • Quiet
  • Lots of Disk Space
  • Minimum one disk redundancy
  • Easy to attach more storage when money/space dictates
  • Blu-Ray / HD capable
  • Easy platform to rip my enormous DVD and growing blu-ray collections.
  • Certainly not (very easily) capable of "ripping from a popular postal rental service every few days" *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*

So the following hardware configuration was my $0.02 at getting that:

Hardware

1x Asus E35M1-M PRO DUAL-CORE E350 DDR3 Zacate (£83)
1x 64GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive (£68)
3x Seagate 3TB Barracuda SATA 6GB/s 64MB 7200RPM 3.5" Hard Drive (£130 each)
1x ValueRam 4GB (1X4GB) DDR3 1066 (£16)
1x LG Electronics 10x Internal BD Combo Retail Kit (£42)
1x Nice Zalman case with 8x hot swap bays. (£120 used)
1x 350W PSU, Be Quiet Efficient Power Supply (£56)
1x Old Microsoft Media Centre remote and receiver. (god knows!)

Obviously I needed to buy a metric shit ton of little bits for my setup, cables etc. I've also had a little trouble with powering the thing, power button is a bit odd and doesn't light up all the time, and bringing the motherboard BIOS up to full power causes odd resets, so I think my PSU is right up against its limits at times. Worth it for now, as it was a reasonable price, very very quiet and gold standard efficiency - a nice mixture of features.

See the attached picture for an idea of my box.

Software:

• Windows 7 Pro - Sadly (£100ish)
  • FlexRAID (amazing software RAID) ($49.95 USD)
  • AnyDVD HD (See here!)
  • MakeMKV (free, for now)
  • XBMC (free)

Ripping habits: Manual, single drive operation. I tend to try and use MakeMKV for DVD's, as I can't seem to find a nice way of just pulling the movie out of a DVD from AnyDVD as elegantly. Blu-rays are a different beast, and I only find AnyDVD HD is good enough to reliably give me these discs onto my hard drive. Only Warrior failed to rip recently, otherwise it's been flawless. I've ripped > 600 of my own DVD's, and certainly haven't been regularly ripping from a popular postal rental service along side.

All in all I've been very happy with this set up. I now need to find a way to switch the box on using my Logitech Harmony 895 remote control (£60) macros, alongside everything else.

Anyone recommend improvements?
Do you have similar desires at home, how have you gone about it?

Tangentially: The Zacate E-350 boards are shockingly badly supported on Linux (i've built a thin client style machine for the bedroom off a similar board). Don't buy these unless you are super ready for the headache. OpenElec works for now but I've lost the control I wanted, so I might give it another stab in a few months when the community might have improved. Last resort, Windows.

Attachments

• media box.jpg
    media box.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Does a more powerful power supply could help?

It all depends on your setup. Why do you think you need a more powerful power supply? Having a more powerful power supply unit won't help ripping DVDs or processing DVDs with CloneDVD. It all has to do with your CPU and memory. Can you give us some more info on your setup?

In theory your PSU should be fine, with that setup I'd be surprised if it was pulling more than 250W. You could just get a meter and test how much power it's using under full load. If that checks out then I would look to either an overheating issue or faulty component.
Check the temperature inside the case against the operating specs of the Mobo.
Try running memtest for a few passes to check the RAM and unplug all the drives except the primary and see if you still get the reboots, if not then start plugging in each drive in turn, and running for however long it did take to get your reboots

Back