• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Iniital problem information: rewriting discussion

Frank

SlySoft Support Team
Someone commented on media going bad. ((you?) I just bought a stack of Gold archive DVD's because I find that most of my DVD's 6 or 7 years old are gone. Directories listed but no content. Bummer thousands of pictures
Have a nice day

I might have mentioned that somewhere. It's metal memory that causes that deterioration and the degree of the "gone" effect depends on the depth of the initial pits which is why I am a firm believer in good blanks and slooooow burning.

I agree with you and Clams 100% that it is time to "Spring clean" some of the stickies, especially those in the AnyDVD threads. Overkill is a polite label.
When time permits I will attempt to compress/condense those and make things a little more believable.

I agree with you and Clams 100% that it is time to "Spring clean" some of the stickies, especially those in the AnyDVD threads. Overkill is a polite label.
When time permits I will attempt to compress/condense those and make things a little more believable.

Frank, all we really need is ONE sticky that says:

Read this before you post.

Then inside it is merely the instructions as to:

1) how to explain the problem.
2) HOW TO POST a LOGFILE.

All the pre-emtive stuff does not ever work and detracts from the attention to the only 2 things they really need to get help.

-W

PS: I bet if you ask James - he'll agree with me on this - really.

Yeah ...

Thanks for the tip.
I started on one of those already and it's like opening the door, throwing a grenade in and closing the door ..... then clean up. He meant well and in the old days such stuff might have been helpful. I'll try to get to that and reduce that even further in keeping with the keep-it-simple.

Last edited:
Yes I know. But now as fast as the other ones. As I an 90 it's not my problem anyway.

Throw the hand grenade and nuke it ALL.
I know I'm asking for a little faith here - but as I've mentioned, I was around and involved at the very dawn of internet multiplayer gaming and the associated help boards. Human behavior has not changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesmai

Here are "The rules" - they are not "mine" - but they are immutable.

One sticky will get read by the most people - the shorter the better. (Value X people)
Two stickys will get read by 1/2 X people - reducing the value by 50%
Four sticky's will get read by 1/4 X people - (at this point you may as well have no sticky's at all.)

From the support standpoint there is also a great value to being able to say with righteous conviction:

"You took all the time to register for this help board and you can't bother to read ONE freakin' sticky thread so as to help us help you??"

-W

Update to the latest beta (with link)
Reset AnyDVD to defaults (with instructions how)
If you still have trouble - here's how to post a logfile. (with instructions)

That's it. Any further potatoes will exponentially detract from the above meat. :)

-W

Last edited:
Ok ok

All taken under advisement. I have, by the way, partially nuked a lot of "fluff" as I find it and I promise I will do my best to jump over the shadow....

All taken under advisement. I have, by the way, partially nuked a lot of "fluff" as I find it and I promise I will do my best to jump over the shadow....

Still need the "How to set a region code" for AnyDVD as well. Not that anyone will read it and follow it, but an unset region code is still a problem.

Still need the "How to set a region code" for AnyDVD as well. Not that anyone will read it and follow it, but an unset region code is still a problem.

Agreed, but "of much lesser damage" as opposed to a lack of a logfile and lack of info info on the methodology of the rip/copy/burn.

Set AnyDVD to defaults
Post a logfile...

And THEN we can tell them if it's a possible region code fault.

Pre-emptive strikes are actually counterproductive, due to information overload on the n00bS.

-W

Only the steps required for every and any problem with backing up a DVD should be part of the FAQ, not having a region code set for a drive is not happening with every problem reported. There should be just a few steps noobs need to read and do to get help. The following is an example, not a requirement ;)

1. Get and install the latest version of AnyDVD (provide an updated link for each release, beta or official as is done with BD+ thread)

2. Set AnyDVD to Default. (Explain how to do that)

3. Insert problem DVD, let if finish scanning and create a log file (instructions on how to create and post a log file)

4. Details on what the problem is, including how the OP is creating the backup, and what the exact error is if there is one.

4a. if using CloneDVD, provide a CloneDVD log as well (instructions on how to create and post this as well)

5. Have Patience! Remind posters that problems can take time to resolve, and may require additional information.

Simple steps, easy to follow, will go a long way to help new people with problems to provide the information needed to solve most problems as quickly as possible. Not all problems can be resolved this way, such as a new protection, but most will get solved quickly with a minimum of fuss and angst.

Another thing to consider while redoing the FAQ there could also be some clarification of things for the regulars (not in the FAQ necessarily) such as using or not using AnyDVD to directly create an ISO image file from a DVD for example.

And with that said, maybe this FAQ discussion should be moved into a separate thread so we are no longer hijacking a troubleshooting thread. :p

Last edited:
OK, the next step

I did a de-fluff on the FAQs, renamed the thread and unstuck the other things.

I did a de-fluff on the FAQs, renamed the thread and unstuck the other things.

Looks and reads good so far, now we see if the noobs will bother to take the time to actually read something that might help them. ;)

It is as it is

Why am I reminded of leading horses to water and not being able to make them drink? :p

I've was into diagnostic/human factors development for a long time and fought with that all the time

I've was into diagnostic/human factors development for a long time and fought with that all the time

And fighting with it still. Rework the FAQs to help people, and right out of the gate we have someone who flat out showed they never bothered to do a bit of reading. I had to laugh at your righteously indignant reply, you said what I felt while reading the OP's query. :clap:

Back