• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playback freezing in places

Change the type of media you are using. I've had the same
problem in the past & even though it may be quality media
it may be your writer doesn't like that brand. Ex. I've used Ridata & rarely had a problem, but had freezing problems
with Verbatim. Find a medium that works well with your
writer & stick with it. This is the easiest & cheapest place to start. Other factors can cause freezing problems, as
previous threads mention & another could be a fragmented
hard drive. Also, your home player may not like this brand of disks. Have you tried it in more than one? Does it freeze
when watching on your computer? More details are required
in your post!:eek:

Other potential problems: Insufficient Ram, dirty or damaged original media, DMA not enabled for the writer,
Virus or Spyware problems, incorrect or out of date Contoller, Chipset drivers, Bios, & malfunctioning Burner.:(
I am using 2 different LG burners. models # GSA - 4163B & 4167B using Ridata 8X media with no problems. I also have 2 Gigs of Kingston memory, Intel 3.0E Soc.478, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, ATi X850XT Platinum Graphics, & 1 Terabyte of harddrive space divided X 4 drives. 2 x Sata
Seagate 320's & 2 Ide Maxtors 160 & 250. Soundblaster
Audigy 2 ZS PLatinum & OCZ Modstream 520 watt PS &
Thermaltake CPU fan.

Always check your media first. Buy a small quantity of another brand and see if you still have the same problem. There can be one or two bad blanks in a batch or the whole batch might be bad. Also, make sure your player is designed to play recorded dvds. The better the player, the better chance the discs will play.

Like someone else said, paper labels will cause the same thing. If you're using paper, try this: Take a hairdryer and remove the label, clean the DVD then play it. If it plays without freezing, that's your problem. I found this out the hard way.

I've gotta say there are some good answers to your question here, the firmware updating, the multi-tasking and the disc quality being the most important. Another couple of things, try defragmenting your drive and also just burning the discs to say 4gb as most of the errors happen on the final bit of the disc. If that works try taking them to about 4.2gb but don't worry too much as the quality change will be minimal.

rbaron, it's unlikely your media if it's genuine TY, and it's not CloneDVD2 IME. I have read through your thread and paraphrasing all the info you have supplied so far, it doesn't provide much to go on. There are three "most likely" scenarios which come to mind.

The kind of problem you are experiencing is more usually attributable to the way the ISO has been written to the blank. If the written disc is the problem, then the disc playback will behave the same in all players. If it's the player, then it'll only be in that particular player. So there's the chicken or egg test.

Startiing with the easist to explain first.

The first is simply the probability of a worn out burner (motor or laser) or simply a faulty burner if it's new and causing this problem on burnt titles consistantly. Seldom is it firmware bug related IME, but there's an outside chance it could be, especially if you're using a hacked revision. I had a problem with one of the firmware revisions on my Pioneer once, but its effect was to make the drive behave erratically at one particular burn speed with particular media which probably wasn't correctly entered in its table. You can discover your burner's firmware revision reported at boot or with it's flashiing util.

Read the further considerations before jumping to the conclusion it's a faulty burner.

It might also be a malfunctioningg power supply providing insufficent or intermittent power or inconsistant voltage to the burner when it spools up to write, especially if you're writing at faster speeds. This can be observed from your burner's behaviour if it appears to be having trouble trying to accelerate to speed and fluctuating in maintaining it.

Those are both less likely, but both possible.

Next, IME using pretty much every popular ripping and burning app out there including DVDdecrypter, DVDshrink, Nero Recode 1 & 2, DVDfab decrypter, plus others and of course CloneDVD2, the most common cause of stuttering / intermittent freezing during playback not being a fault of a faulty or flawed playback device per se, is multitasking with your PC when actually burning. It doesn't matter that DMA is enabled and functioning on your DVD-RW drive, when bus contention and demand from other intense HD activity occurs, it will take precedent which insofar as I can determine appears to effect the HD's data delivery rate. If it drops below a satisfactory level for the writer's buffers to maintain adequate data for the burn rate, it can result in a visible pause during playback, possibly because of the way the writer handles the empty buffer and data delay during the write. Some mobo chipsets traffic handing of HD contention are more prone to this than others.

Multi-tasking when ripping to ISO on your HD, with or without compression, won't effect a stutter in the consequent burn IME, but using the PC for anything during the actual burn of ISO to DVD blank during the burn can, including something as simple as an anti-virus or windows auto-update or auto-mail server check running in the background without your awareness or in your absence.

In over 1000 separate titles burnt this year, I've experienced only a very few (2, perhaps 3?) freezing or stuttering results, and they were initially before I discovered that multi-tasking during the burn to blank always runs a risk of inducing them.

Here is what I do for successful results. I always rip to HD first, and I always burn at max rated speed of the media, which these days is usually 16x. I always use quality media, previously TY but with a preference these days for Verbatim and dedicate the PC soley to the task of the burn (to blanks) whilst that actual activity is taking place.

And just to reiterate, when ripping the original disc to ISO on the HD, you can do multitask as much as you want. It won't incite stutter or freezing in the resultant ISO. My results are consistantly flawless.

Hope something in there is of assistance to you. GL. 8)

PS: I use SONY & Pioneer burners.

What program do you use for the ripping? Also, what program do you use to burn the ripped movie to your dvd's?

Thanks....

This all stopped happening when I stopped applying labels. Sounds so simple, yet since I 've stopped with the labels, the "Digitizing" is gone!

This all stopped happening when I stopped applying labels. Sounds so simple, yet since I 've stopped with the labels, the "Digitizing" is gone!

When you say "labels" you mean the paper kind yes?

Because I get the printable kind and my ink jet printer prints on the dvd disk.

Thanks........

Make sure that the "quality" bar does not run into the red, or even the lower yellow, zones. If it does, you may have to split the DVD file into 2 parts or use a double layer DVD, or cut out unwanted previews, bonus features, etc. I've had a couple of bad copies when I didn't follow this rule.

I am not sure that I know how to dial down the speed of my DVD writer.??

If I need to replace my DVD what is a good one to buy?

I have an HP machine with Lightscribe. Would I have to buy one from HP?

Thanks.....

I have worn out my DVD burner's more than once. I bought, for my three computers, external DVD drives, 16 speed. They are not expensive and connect through USB or Firewire, depending on which you buy. Really handy and when worn out, easy to replace. I bought Sony's but there are cheaper ones on the market.

Hi All

It could be the media, but more than likely the write speed. I have had this problem in the past with both. I found when freezing occured mid movie, it was the media. When freezing occured at the beginning of the movie, it was the write speed. Try writing at 4x, then work your way up. If not try different media. And of course shut down all programs (not essencial) running in the background.

I agree. Two more suggestions. Use only Verbatim DVD's. The quality is much better and the DVD itself is 40X more scratch resistent and not given to wearing out over time. Secondly, always shut down your background applications. There is a simple program out there called "End it All". It's free, google it. Caution though, when using it select Close all, not Kill all. Kill all is permanent.

Sam's Club sells the 100pk. of printable Verbs for $39.xx, and the regular ones are about $32 (I think).

I had this problem with some disc. Now I use Sony (Japan only) and I had not had any problems with freezing. I also use Imation dvd-R and it works also.

I had this problem with some disc. Now I use Sony (Japan only)

the sonys will code out as Taiyo Yuden

and I had not had any problems with freezing. I also use Imation dvd-R and it works also.

thats some of the worst media you can buy

2 Simple Solutions

For Rbaron and all Slysofters ONLY(haha, yea right),

OK. After reading through all this, I have to say that there is a couple simple solutions you all should know about. But first buy some Sony stock like I have. And of course, these are not the only solution as many will tell you, but you will agree it is SIMPLE.

First, buy a SONY DVD player they can be as low as 59 bucks and up to 1300 bones for the highest end players. The key is that most of Sony's DVD players have a trademarked technology called...are you ready for this?......this will solve ALL the playback problems of scratched, warped, off-balanced, and most importantly burned DVD-Rs for stand-alone players...it's called Sony's Precision Drive 3 System. It's as easy as that and it WORKS! TRUST ME.

The second solution is get a better burner. I use my dinky Vaio laptop's Sony DVD writer and I have had no problems playing the DVDs written from it(I've already burned almost 250 DVD on it!). So either buy any Sony writer or one that other, more tech savvy, guys on this forum recommend as a quality writer.

Also, FYI, I have had CD STOMPER paper labels on ALL my DVDs that go back about 13 months, and they still play perfectly. I started off with Memorex DVD-R 16x, then Sony DVD-R 16x(Japan), then Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4x(shiny top), then TY DVD-R 4x(inkjet printable), then found out the TY(inkjet printable ONLY) deteriorated after only 4 months, then never bought TY again, and now I am using only Sony DVD-R 16x (Taiwan). The oldest Sony DVD-R(Taiwan) I have is about 9-10 months old and I am reporting no problems with glue deteriorating the movie.

Hope this helped.

Aloha

Back