• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Freeze ups BD backups

mcdcad

anyone have any answers to freeze up problems aside from the obvious ones. dirt,scraches, hdmi cables etc. I have backup dozens of BD's on my Plextor PX-B940SA firm ware updated played them all back and they all worked fine. I just recently started to play them again and I'm now having freeze problems in the movies. I have tried store copy's and they work fine in the same unit a Sony BDP-S350. I was inclined to think that the player was the problem, but after preforming all the testing I feel its not it's not. This brings me back to when I first starting backing up DVD's a hundred years ago. I use BD Rebuiler and Any DVD HD. Always worked fine. Maybe it's just not an art yet like back in the day with DVD's.

Well whats the brand of blanks you're using for your bd backups ?

If they played perfectly fine originally (as you said) but now they don't play correctly you would likely either have a player that is dieing, your disks are getting scratched or you have a dust bunny inside your player that is interfearing with operations.

or his discs could be degrading, I had this with Traxdata discs, a few months after burning them more than 50% had problems

freeze ups

Thanks for the replies. The disk's are Verbatim. That's all I use. I played 2 of the movies on a different, newer Sony player and they played fine. So I'm inclined to believe it's the player, although I have no problems playing the store bought disks on my old one. As far as degrading goes all the movies I had problems with are less than 6 months old.

I had a problem with Verbatim BD-R (25gb) as well, I don't think they are as bad as Memorex but I have had problems with the Verbatim backups...play fine at first but as you start skipping chapters it gets skippy and eventually freezes up totally. I would recommend keeping the data on external hard drives and burning via a BD-RE and keep cycling until BD-R's become a more reliable form of data storage.

i do have the same problem before with memorex first /second generation bd-r
since then iam using verbatim and now iam using windata iam very surprised windata is very reliable bd-r media :clap:
coming to the branded disc i do have bad experiece on verbatim 5-10 bd-r out of 100 bd-r ( iwould say most of them are my fault)coasters

I wonder why do they degrade though when we just burned and storage

I'm not sure why they degrade either but I know I read on the internet that some of the brands of blank Blu-rays were guility of using too soft a plastic on the writing surface and that recently they all started using a harder longer life plastic to improve aging and to help limit surface damage.

The article never said which brands had been using the 'too soft' plastic.

I've used a ton of Memorex and haven't had any problems with movies not wanting to play later, but I do tend to burn the 'movie only' so maybe that has helped me.

Verbatim and TDK were definitely using softer coatings as they tend to mark very easy when put in DVD wallets

Thats why I have two hardware blu-ray players connected to my HDTV thru HDMI. If I have problems on the blu-ray or standard definition disk I check it out with the other blu-ray hardware player.

Works great to see if your back-up disks are going bad or see if your blu-ray player is wearing out.

I have gone to all blu-ray hardware players now, no more standard definition or upscale players. Since the non-cinavia hardware players with the right firmware are still under $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 blu-ray players as well, my PS3 and an LG. Most of my copies won't work on either player after a while. The discs (Memorex especially) are definitely degrading...the movie will start off fine, but if you skip to the end chapters it refuses to load and then freezes up, where before they used to play flawlessly.

But the players are also a factor because my Dark Knight copy was working fine on my PS3, but it wouldn't load at all on my old 60gb launch PS3 - it kind of reminds me of how some old CD players only read certain brands of CD-R's, when CD-R's first took off.

As you said, your disc have probably degraded to the point where the systems can barely read them or not even at all. Verbatim has very good track record and is usually still playable after YEARS.

Back