• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Shrek Forever After - The Final Chapter

SoonerLater

I'm not sure whether I found a new protection or the rare defective, but brand new, disc.

Using AnyDVD 6.7.5.0.

I/O Failure reading traditional DVD while attempting to rip to hard drive. See attached screenshot and logfile.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.5.0_Info_E_SHREK_FOREVER_AFTER.zip
    146.6 KB · Views: 15
  • AnyDVD - Shrek Forever After.jpg
    AnyDVD - Shrek Forever After.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 16
I ripped the UK version of this disc yesterday without any problems at all this was with AnyDVD 6.7.5.0.

Sometimes hit and miss, this one is miss

I'm not sure whether I found a new protection or the rare defective, but brand new, disc.

Using AnyDVD 6.7.5.0.

I/O Failure reading traditional DVD while attempting to rip to hard drive. See attached screenshot and logfile.

This disc is likely defective. Not at all uncommon today at all.

"File IO 3" means the drive doesn't respond anymore and there are permanent READ errors.

It stops on a sector, without progressing. If there is no data coming from the drive to decrypt,AnyDVD cannot continue decrypting.

This usually happens with a defective disc (scratch or a production error beneath the coated surface).

Insert the DVD. Open the Windows Explorer (Windows + E key). Navigate/browse to the DVD drive.

Copy the Video_TS folder somewhere to your hard drive.

Wait until the copy process is done. This give the DVD drive the chance to retry damaged sectors a few times.

If it was successful, open CloneDVD or your burning program and let it read from that folder on the hard drive.

This minimizes read errors during the trans-coding process.

When you encounter such a message in the future, don't simply click it away. Instead eject and reinsert the DVD, if necessary several times. Eventually the drive will get across the erroneous sector.

Note: if this procedure does not work, Windows itself will post an error message on its own, not AnyDVD.
To mean, the READ error is recognized by the Windows Operating System, so in this case you can forget trying to get the data off this disc on your machine

Copy the Video_TS folder somewhere to your hard drive.

To those reading this.
Remember, this process will not work on DVD's containing structural copy protections.

It is however, a valuable tool / test for all other DVD's suspected to be defective.

-W

Same issue.

I'm having the exact same issue. I also saw it on the twilight eclipse DVD. I noticed that it is only happening on the US rental only DVD(s) and seems like a new copy protectiion. I tried everyhting that was recommended and nothing is working.

Might be the "same issue" , but you need to post a logfile from that disk to see if someone can help you. ;)

Here's my log file with same issue.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.5.1_Info_E_SHREK_FOREVER_AFTER.zip
    142.6 KB · Views: 7
Here's my log file with same issue.
You might want to set your drive region.
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Here's how:
Right click the fox on your system tray. Exit Anydvd
Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
Click "properties".
You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
Select the region that you're in
Start Anydvd

Last edited:
Thank you. Just tried that and still got the same issue. The process dies in the VTS_07_1.vob file every time. The DVD has no scratches and is fully playable with no problems.

Last edited:
Thank you. Just tried that and still got the same issue. The process dies in the VTS_07_1.vob file every time. The DVD has no scratches and is fully playable with no problems.

Fully playable - from the same drive you want to read it?

Yes using the same drive.

Strange. Still, I believe it is a damaged and / or dirty disc and / or drive. I don't see anything suspicious (protection) in VTS_07_1.vob

Strange. Still, I believe it is a damaged and / or dirty disc and / or drive. I don't see anything suspicious (protection) in VTS_07_1.vob

It's possible. Just find it strange that 2 epople have the same error on the same type of disk at approximately the same percentage of the rip. When using other software it seem to also stops in vob_07_3.vob

Not really. It's a sign that a batch of disks are badly manufactured near the outer edge.

Agreed - but wouldn't that make the disk unplayable or at least cause issues when watching it? I'm able to watch the disk on my PC using the same drive but unable to rip it. That's what makes it very strange.

Anthoer quetion - noticed that the layer break VTS key is the same as the key for VTS_07 key (where I'm having problems). Does this imply a potential layer break issue with this disk? Thanks.

Last edited:
If you check out SamuriHL's bad disc guide, it will most likely tell you that watching it and ripping it are two completely different things. Players can skip bad sectors while rippers need to be able to read every sector, so ripping will encounter errors when watching won't.

Agreed - but wouldn't that make the disk unplayable or at least cause issues when watching it? I'm able to watch the disk on my PC using the same drive but unable to rip it. That's what makes it very strange.

Not strange at all.
Ripping a disk is bit for bit with CRC error checking - playing a disk is just dumb playback - it'll gloss over a glitch.

-W

First thing I do if a backup doesn't work is run Nero Discspeed to see if the disk is faulty.........errors running AnyDVD and CloneDVD are rare and if there is an error I find 90% of the time Nero Discspeed tells me there is a bad sector on the disk and yup brand new out of the package discs too.

I have the same problem the process stops at VTS_07_1.vob
I've tried Clone DVD, Shrink DVD, and tried to burn to hard drive with AnyDVD.

This piece (VTS_07_1.vob) is part of the main movie in title 19.

Since this is the same error as SJK I don't think this a physical error... unless there are many bad copies with the same error in the same place.

Still sounds like a bad batch to me. Identical errors in identical places is actually pretty normal with a bad batch. I know I had no trouble with this title when it came out.

Also, Read the stickies to learn how to post an AnyDVD logfile to this board - without a logfile, it's almost like you didn't really post.

-W

Back