• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unlocker now officially supports Windows 64-bit

Be sure to not accidentally select to install the Bing toolbar or eBay shortcuts during the installation process. This stuff helps the developer if you install it but if you really want to help out then maybe donate. I find no redeeming factors in the addition of toolbars and shortcuts for eBay in software installers.

Last edited:
Thanks for this DrinkLyeAndDie but shouldn't it be version 1.9.0 and not 1.6.0 as stated ? http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/changelog/

Yeah... ahem. Apparently my brain was not processing things correctly. I flipped the 9 and it turned into a 6. Unfortunately, this isn't an uncommon mistake for me to make. I corrected the version number mentioned in the first post. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited:
It's a good program. I was glad to see they finally made it work for Windows 7 x64. A good example of this program being useful. When installing Windows 7, if you choose the custom install and had a previous version of Windows installed, it would overwrite it and create a folder called "Windows.old" with all the personal stuff that was in the previous OS. All fine and good. There is a problem though when trying to delete this folder if on this previous OS, there were any games installed that used SeCuRom. Everything in the "Windows.old" folder would delete except for two SeCuRom files that looks like Arabic text. Being that they couldn't be deleted, the "Window.old" folder itself could not be deleted. Well good old Unlocker 1.9.0 did the trick just fine to get rid of those two pesky files. Makes the job much easier when you have the right tools.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great link. I've been using the SysInternals command-line "handle.exe" to close files that Firefox or Google Desktop are still keeping open handles to. This is sooooo much easier...especially since I'm using UAC.

Microsoft SmartScreen

Microsoft SmartScreen blocks this web page when using IE stating that it is dangerous.Any one else have this issue?.(and i know it is not)

No problems when using Firefox.

Eset ( nod32) find that download site infected. I can do with this tool.:p

FWIW, it's showing as clean with both Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x and Microsoft's Security Essentials.

This is a really great tool.. I also have used it for years. I have found it can't release some system handles, like Windows Search, but it does indicate the processes and if you want immediate gratification rather than using Unlocker's supplied option to delete on reboot, you can temporarily stop some services (Windows Search is no problem to do this with) in Task Manager or Computer Management.

One feature I seem to remember from the past, that I am not getting in W7x64, is that Unlocker used to automatically pop up when you tried to delete or move a locked file and just provide the option to unlock it then. My memory is fallible though.

I found Unlocker useful when I was running XP, files quite often were locked by programs and never freed when I exited, but now that both of my regular PCs are using Win 7 I am finding fewer and fewer times a system lock is not easily explainable by some program still running. Not once have I had a lock retained when the program was stopped.

Back