• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

3D TV question

mbo

Hi,
I've Sony receiver which is HDMI3 certified. From the HDMI specification, the HDMI1,4 is required for 3D signal transfer. Now, does it mean I will need to upgrade my receiver or do I need just 1.4 certified cables?

Thanks

Even if you would have 1.4 cables, your receiver only sends 1.3 then.
Probably your Sony receiver is going to get an update. BTW which model?

the panasonic dmp-bdt350 or dmp-bdt300 has 2 hdmi outputs.

1 is a 1.4 hdmi to your 3D tv input the other is a 1.3 output to go into your receiver for the audio.

i started another thread to see what people thought of these 2 units but no replies yet

the bottleneck at this time appears to be no 1.4 hdmi receivers in the market yet

Last edited:
Even if you would have 1.4 cables, your receiver only sends 1.3 then.
Probably your Sony receiver is going to get an update. BTW which model?

Hi,
the receiver is Sony STR-DA5300ES. Is it possible to upgrade the HDMI ports just with firmware upgrade?
Thanks

Hi,
the receiver is Sony STR-DA5300ES. Is it possible to upgrade the HDMI ports just with firmware upgrade?
Thanks

There is no universal answer: HDMI receiving part must be constructed with FPGA instead of ASIC chip, FPGA must be connected to enough memory that is fast enough, firmware must include not only main ROM update but also other programmable chips... lots of factors. Only a Sony engineer would know for sure.

Hi,
thanks for the info. It's time to contact Sony I think :agree: ...
Cheers

There is no universal answer: HDMI receiving part must be constructed with FPGA instead of ASIC chip, FPGA must be connected to enough memory that is fast enough, firmware must include not only main ROM update but also other programmable chips... lots of factors. Only a Sony engineer would know for sure.

FWIW, 3D can travel over 1.3 cables just fine. I can confirm this with the New Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player and a Samsung 3D television (PN50C8000). The 3D looks identical (and pretty impressive) over 1.3 and 1.4 cables. I've tried them both. The HDMI connections on receivers can not be updated to 1.4 with firmware. The 1.4 spec is a new physical HDMI connector. The problem with current HDMI 1.3 receivers is the video processing. The many of the current 1.3 receivers want to "process" the 3D video and is not capable of doing so. Aside from getting a new receiver, the solution is a firmware update to allow 3D signal to Pass-Through the 1.3 receiver. The receiver needs to be able to recognize incoming 3D video and disable processing. If the receiver doesn't attempt to process the 3D video, it can pass through a 1.3 HDMI connector just fine. This is in the works for the DVDO Edge and iScan DUO video receivers (both of these receivers have HDMI 1.3 inputs and outputs):

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/dvdo_edge/
"HDMI 1.4a specifies a large number of 3D formats, and it specifies a smaller number of formats whose support is mandatory for 3D displays. EDGE and iScan Duo will pass the mandatory formats through from input to output, based on the specifications.

Availability: Q3 2010.

We will continue to update firmware as needed to provide compatibility with as many products as possible."

Of course, as 3D evolves I'm sure companies such as Anchor Bay will develop video processors that can actually "process" and improve the 3D video.

Last edited:
That's good info stallen. I think most receivers (except, notably, the HK 254 and 354, and possibly current HK ones) don't reprocess video though. My Pioneer VSX-01TXH doesn't and most Pioneers, if not all, don't. Hence you get complaints about no OSD but some (including me) think no reprocessing is better. Are you sure though that in this case the 3D image can go through unscathed? Doesn't the HDMI chipset have to be able to pass those higher frequencies in the first place?

The whole HDMI cable "version" is pretty much all marketing. They're certified for higher speeds, but that doesn't mean that lower "version" cables can't do those speeds either. Especially shorter lengths that most people use

It is been a while since this post but some update here.
I contacted Sony and the answer was that it is not possible to upgrade the HDMI to 1.4a by firmware. It is possible by some hardware replacement but not reccomended. Well, I tought I will need to buy new receiver.

However I found out (as pple here probably know by now) that Nvidia cards series 430, 450 and 460 can output audio via DVI. So problem solved now. HDMI to TV and DVI to receiver, 3D picture and HD audio streaming. All works great that way.

Thanks

Back