• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD

What does "shrink" really mean?

First I'd heard it was going to be called 'Clone it all'
BTW you can always use Clown BD and BD rebuilder to shrink Blu-rays

I've seen the term "shrink" used pretty loosely when it comes to "reducing" the size of a DVD or BD. I don't think stripping out unwanted content ie; trailers, menu's, alt scenes, subtitles, and choosing non HD audio is "shrinking" a disc. However, selecting the main movie w/ HD audio container that is too large to fit the desired media needs to be "shrunk". I believe the process is called "transcoding". Self-contained programs I've used in the past are DVD Shrink (I loved this program) and CloneDVD. I believe both of these programs can actually "shrink" a disc using transcoding if necessary. Otherwise they can "reduce" the disc w/o transcoding if the selected content will fit the target media. A very nice option.

BD rebuilder and our beloved Clone DVD use "transcoding" to "shrink" a disc to the desired media size. I'm not sure Clown BD actually does "transcoding" or "shrinking", but rather "reducing" the amount of content to be copied.

When you 'shrink' something you make it smaller, no matter the means. If it makes it smaller then it's shrunk.

When you 'shrink' something you make it smaller, no matter the means. If it makes it smaller then it's shrunk.
I'm trying to find a way to differentiate a software program that reduces the number of pieces that make up a container, vs. a software program that can transcode all the original pieces to make them fit the target destination. Many of the BD solutions mentioned here at the Slysoft forums work very well as long as the 'main movie' does not exceed the size of the desired target media. For example, a BD 'main movie' that's larger than 23.x GB will NOT fit a BD25 blank and therefore cannot be copied. Other solutions like BD rebuilder use compression to make movies fit. Perhaps simply mentioning if a software solution uses compression or not would suffice? I know as soon as Clone 'Anything' is released my comments will become mute.

Haha there are other programs besides BD Rebuilder that will compress blu rays also, but I find BD Rebuilder to be the best, bug free alternative until the "Clone" is all ready and spiffy.

Actually, we need to classify things into three categories: (1) size reduction based on removal of unwanted material, (2) size reduction via transcoding, and (3) size reduction via re-encoding. BD Rebuilder separates audio and video and then re-encodes the video using the x264 encoder. Re-encoding is always better than transcoding. The best solution for reduction in size would be option 1 and 3.

Using the word "shrink" can refer to any of the three things I listed above or a mixture of them all but it's an overly general term. Yes, it is used overly loosely.

Well technically it's not overly used as all it means is to 'reduce in size' so it's used correctly in all 3 cases. What's lacking is the detailed description on how the shrinking is achieved. And I have to agree, 1 and 3 are preferable to 2.

Ok well what would be an example of transcoding then? I guess I'm a little confused on the technical lingo.

Several years ago BD media was so ridiculously expensive that backing up BD to BD-R didn't really make sense. Today, BD-R (SL) media is quite affordable. Therefore, the time for a Clone product is NOW. According to post #2 of this thread (1.5 years ago) slysoft is "moving along with the Clone product for BD." I really think it is time for a public announcement of some sort. I would think CloneBD or Clone It All or Clone whatever the hell you want to call it should be a top priority for slysoft right now. However, without even a beta release in all this time, how can we be sure it is a priority at all. What's going on slysoft? Can you give us any more info than it's "moving along"?

As far as I'm aware it is moving along, but they have to stop working on it every time a new variant of BD+ etc comes along and fix that first.. In the meantime you can use MikeR's Clown products or BD rebuilder all of which are free

Several years ago BD media was so ridiculously expensive that backing up BD to BD-R didn't really make sense. Today, BD-R (SL) media is quite affordable. Therefore, the time for a Clone product is NOW. According to post #2 of this thread (1.5 years ago) slysoft is "moving along with the Clone product for BD." I really think it is time for a public announcement of some sort. I would think CloneBD or Clone It All or Clone whatever the hell you want to call it should be a top priority for slysoft right now. However, without even a beta release in all this time, how can we be sure it is a priority at all. What's going on slysoft? Can you give us any more info than it's "moving along"?

I'm with you Stallen!!!!
I've been waiting patiently and come back here ever so often to see if it has been released or not. I made the plunge last winter and bought the entire Slysoft Suite when they had a great deal going on because it was to good to pass up. I've put off and put off on getting a BluRay Disk recorder until Slysoft comes out with their software. Only positive thing is that the BD Player Prices keep dropping as well as the blank media

Has CloneBD been longer in development than Windows 7?

Is CloneBD vaporware? Now that 25GB BD-R's are $2, and AnyDVD HD works, how about a preliminary version that simply and completely copies any BD 50GB based original to two 25GB disks without the geeky hassles of multi steps - tsmuxer etc? The VISA card is ready and waiting.

Do they even have beta testers testing a beta version now?

I mean it is surprising considering that BD-Rebuilder, ClownBD, and multiAVCHD have been making some significant progress on their tools to provide some form a BluRay backup but we hear very little from SlySoft on this front.

I believe they do, yes. I think I remember a while back them looking for testers. It was either for CloneBD or SlyPlayer but pretty sure it was for CloneBD.

Is CloneBD vaporware? Now that 25GB BD-R's are $2, and AnyDVD HD works, how about a preliminary version that simply and completely copies any BD 50GB based original to two 25GB disks without the geeky hassles of multi steps - tsmuxer etc? The VISA card is ready and waiting.

CloneBD is indeed vaporware. I've been waiting patiently. Slysoft let the boat sail for unknown reasons. :( The steps suggested here have way too high a learning curve when all your Blu-Ray problems can be solved with the highly intuitive Blu-Ray Cloner2 or DVDFab's Blu-ray to Blu-Ray. I went with Blu-Ray Cloner 2. Didn't install their decryption software. It plays well with AnyDvd HD. :eek:

CloneBD is not vaporware. Anyone making such claims doesn't what they are talking about and is either impatient, whining, childish, or has an agenda. The fact that people are impatient is not Slysoft's problem and Slysoft isn't going to release the product tomorrow just because some people can't wait. It's also simply not ready for release. The program is in development and has been for quite some time. It'll be done when it's done and it'll be released when it's released.

Last edited:
CloneBD is indeed vaporware. I've been waiting patiently. Slysoft let the boat sail for unknown reasons. :( The steps suggested here have way too high a learning curve when all your Blu-Ray problems can be solved with the highly intuitive Blu-Ray Cloner2 or DVDFab's Blu-ray to Blu-Ray. I went with Blu-Ray Cloner 2. Didn't install their decryption software. It plays well with AnyDvd HD. :eek:
Well done you for paying for Blu-ray cloner which is just a rip off of the free software that's already out there.
Their 'ripping' software only removes AACS from HD DVD's, and appears to use a very old method for getting decryption keys. You've basically just paid $60 for BD Rebuilder and Clown BD both of which are free

It's also simply not ready for release. The program is in development and has been for quite some time. It'll be done when it's done and it'll be released when it's released.

That I understand and no one wants a rushed release. I waited patiently for VideoRedo to support H.264 video but they also had a beta so that all the kinks could get worked out.

Also BD-Rebuilder is not ready for release either but there is a beta and people at least know something out there is working. The only beta tester request I know of was for SlyPlayer. Was there a beta test for CloneBD?

Back