• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

help with software of Clone CD-creating digital backup file

lmc

I know that this is most likely awesome software that Slysoft has created when the developed Clone CD - but I am plain ole' stuck when trying to creating a back-up digital file of a very small, 4 track CD - I want JUST the digital files and do not want a file that is ready to burn to a disc. I am asking for assistance form one of the group moderators to take the few minutes time that it would take to walk me through to create this digital file of this very small cd that consists of 4 tunes that are about 3-4 minutes long each.

Maybe we could use the Slysoft "chat" forum to do this in or some other direct, real-time method of tutoring me through this software. I do have Yahoo, facebook (with the im option installed), AOL, and also, Microsoft IM.

Please help me with this - I know that it is something very simple that I am missing in both the directions and when I attempt to use the actual software.
Thank you for your assistance, fellow Slysoft Members, and thank you in advance for the courtesy of your consideration regarding this simple problem.
lmc

CloneCD is used for 1:1 back-ups or to an image. It can't be used to rip individual tracks. If they are audio files (cda), you should be able to use Windows Media Player to rip the files to wav or mp3. Does that not work?

Last edited:
CloneCD can't do what is wanted.

I'd recommend taking a look at Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de). Use it to rip the tracks from the CDs to your HDD and you can even convert to mp3, aac, lpac, wav, etc, all in a single step while ripping. I would recommend ripping to mp3 and using the LAME mp3 encoder as the option but the decision is pretty subjective and depends on how much of an audiophile you are.

Btw, a cda file is really a pointer file to data. It's a Windows invention in how the disc is viewed.

I'm going to move this to the Third Party Product forum so people can provide non-Slysoft input.

more info about disc

Wow! I think that I am really confused about CloneCD and what it is supposed to do.
First, I want to explain that, although I purchased it when I purchased my complete bundle of Slysoft software, I have never tried to use it until Wednesday. Wednesday was also my birthday - so cut me some extra slack for super silly questions, okay? :p

What exactly is CloneCD for if it isn't for ripping or backing up audio files? One of the respondents explained that it was strictly for 1:1 backups - and my understanding of 1:1 backup is that this means exact duplicating - no ability to change file size or quality, etc.

Based on that same person's comments, it sounds as if CloneCD only works with entire albums - did I understand this correctly?

So, for example, say I wanted to make a mixed CD of tunes that I had on a variety of CD's - I couldn't do this with CloneCD?

Actually, the thing that I needed to do was to make an exact duplicate/copy of a CD - 1989, Jane Weidlan, "Fur" - I wanted to back it up because it is no longer available in the cut out bins, and it has a lot of surface scratches - little, tiny scratches, but when I am driving and playing it, these fuzzy little buff scratch marks do allow or cause some skipping - so I wanted to back it up like a did one of my favorite movies that accidentally got really scratched up by the center post in the case - when it popped off of it and the DVD floated in that case for days while I kept it in my briefcase before watching it during the weekend at a friend's house. I found that my Slysoft software will work through scratches and make a perfect backup copy of a messed DVD that I own. So, I add this detail to make sure that somebody doesn't bust on me for mentioning what I am doing since my backup creation is legal.

Re: the CD "Fur" by Jane Weidlan - I believe that this CD will fit perfectly on a blank CD because it has no extended plays, etc like my blasted Eminem CD that I simply had to repurchase because the disc has more than 74 minutes of music on it - so my backup trick for smoothing out repairs couldn't work for musicians that do something with a DL or somehow add more than 74 minutes of music on a CD.

Now, knowing this detail, would my CloneCD work with this disc that I am currently trying to backup? If so, how do I do this - since I couldn't find directions that walked me through it, step-by-step.

Also, exactly what are CloneCD's purposes, limits, strengths, etc? What does it do, and what other products do I have to use in conjunction with it to get it to do what it does?

Thank you for your responses and your patience with this - it must seem like a simple question to SS pros.
lmc

CloneCD can't do what is wanted.

I'd recommend taking a look at Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de). Use it to rip the tracks from the CDs to your HDD and you can even convert to mp3, aac, lpac, wav, etc, all in a single step while ripping. I would recommend ripping to mp3 and using the LAME mp3 encoder as the option but the decision is pretty subjective and depends on how much of an audiophile you are.

Btw, a cda file is really a pointer file to data. It's a Windows invention in how the disc is viewed.

I'm going to move this to the Third Party Product forum so people can provide non-Slysoft input.

DLD, above, in your quote, the things that I either don't understand or have a question about are highlighted in red.

You mention "rip the tracks from the CDs to your HDD" - HDD? I guess that I don't fool around with audio as much as I do with video and I don't understand what an HDD is (High Definition D.....) I just have players in my car, I can use my computer, DVD and PS2 for playing CD's - so I am unsure of what an HDD is and how it works with a CD. I do, however, have some grasp on quality, size and how each of these factors impacts the other. I understand that a wav file is nearly an exact duplicate regarding quality and that it takes up more space on the HDD. Mp3's are compressed files that are typlically very compatible with small music players and that even the data or metadata about each tune is usually programmed in such a way with Mp3 files that the song titles can actually be displayed on the instrument that is playing the files, including iPods, car stereo's etc.

Never heard of LPAC, I think that I've heard of acc extensions but I don't know how they apply to music file.

Regarding "ripping to an Mp3 and using the LAME encoder" being an option, my main objective is to create a wav quality file, a file that allows my players to recognize each track - so that I can select by forwarding or hitting the back button, any song of my choice - I want to make sure that the songs are at least numbered correctly according to how they are listed in the cover of the CD. Why would I encode and create an Mp3 file to achieve something like this - which I believe is basically making a basic, high quality CD? Also, would you explain when or where I might come across a cda file? It almost sounds like those small files that are used with downloading torrents.

I understand that you are busy, but if you have a moment to explain these things I would appreciate it DLD. I've literally made only appx. 7 or 8 CD's in my lifetime - and I don't have the same software that was included in with that first computer that I had nearly 15 years ago! It has been a very long time since I've made a backup CD and since I had the CloneCD software, and I work with CloneDVD frequently, I figured that it would be easy and that both software packages worked in similar ways. I am surprised at how different CloneCD seems to be from both CloneDVD and my memories of how I used to use the software to back-up CD's years ago.

If you don't have the time to explain, I understand, DLD - lmc

Back