• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Leave PC running or shut it down?

creeper6996

How many of you leave your computers running 24/7 and how many of you shut it down when not in use or overnight? I've heard it's better for your puter to leave it running 24/7, but I always choose the "save electricity" method.

Gets shut down while at work and overnight. Too much electricity.

stays on 24/7 but goes into standby after 1 hr of no activity and monitor shuts off in 30 mins of no activity

Many years ago, I too use to leave my PC on 24/7. However, I live in the lightning capital of the world called Florida. My region can be notorious for its nasty weather.

Plus, the way I figure it, your PC components have an average life span of xxx hours. Why let it run for countless hours (unless your downloading huge stuff on a regular basis) when your not using it. But then again some will argue the fact that each time you boot your system creates a strain on components. Go figure...

I no longer leave my PC running around the clock. As a matter of fact, I will even go as far to unplug every electronic device I own when I know a storm is coming. Even with surge devices and battery backups can not prevent a nasty spike turning your equipment into taffy. I've learn by experience...:agree:

:bowdown: WE'RE NOT WORTHY:bowdown:
SLYSOFT is the SHIZNIT!!!

My computer stays on all the time but goes into the sleep mode after a half an hour of non use. The sleep mode uses very little electricty. :)

All of mine are turned off when I'm not using them. I do leave my monitors on all the time.

hi!

@work: PCs are running 24/7, only the monitors get shut off. The Terminal-Server runs also 24/7.

@home: My PC get into hibernation mode. I takes no electricity at all and my PC starts very fast.

Regards,
BurnerHEAD

depends whether i can be bothered to shut down or not, usually leave it on for the two weeks i'm home, a good few restarts in between

hi!

@work: PCs are running 24/7, only the monitors get shut off. The Terminal-Server runs also 24/7.

@home: My PC get into hibernation mode. I takes no electricity at all and my PC starts very fast.

Regards,
BurnerHEAD

nearly the same :D
@home i always shut down after working or gaming ;)

Depends on what's running. Sometimes off at night sometimes on all night and day for a few days.

Thanks guys and gals, I appreciate all the answers. I just got a Plextor 760 DVD burner and everytime I restart the puter, I have to hold the eject button down for 3 seconds before burning or it will be in slow mode. I realize that it's not much work, but I have a horrible memory and won't remember to do it.

For you hibernators, what happens if you're transferring 500 GBs of files from one HD to another, and it takes longer than 1.5 hours? Hibernate doesn't stop what's going on at the time, right?

Thanks guys and gals, I appreciate all the answers. I just got a Plextor 760 DVD burner and everytime I restart the puter, I have to hold the eject button down for 3 seconds before burning or it will be in slow mode. I realize that it's not much work, but I have a horrible memory and won't remember to do it.
That doesn't sound good. Can you RMA it?

I could, yes, newegg is awesome, BUT, I've heard from other Plextor 760 owners that it's par for the course. It's normal.

I could, yes, newegg is awesome, BUT, I've heard from other Plextor 760 owners that it's par for the course. It's normal.
I don't have one so whatever you say. Still doesn't sound good. I have 10 drives here and none of them need for me to do that. No Plextor's though.

Good luck!

I don't have one so whatever you say. Still doesn't sound good.

This affects reading only--not burning. Holding down the eject button disables riplock (or enables speedread). In theory, using Plextools to enable speedread should work, but I've never tested it, and some here claim enabling the feature via Plextools won't work). I use my Plextor burners to burn only; I refuse to use them to read.

Creeper6996, just get a dvd-rom drive, and use it as your reader. Problem solved

Last edited:
Thanks. Maybe someone with one will read this and tell me different, hopefully.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=49767#dvdrw-dvdrwnvidiaide

"Q: My Plextor DVD recorder only reads DVD-Video discs at 2x! Can't I make it go any faster than that?
A: Yes, you can 'unlock' the drive by making sure the drive is empty and closed. Then press and hold the drive's eject button for about three seconds until the drive's LED flashes green three times. Release the eject button so that the drive's tray will open. You can now insert a DVD-Video disc which will be read at full speed. When you eject the disc or when you cut the drive's power, the PX-708A / PX-712A / PX-716A will be reset to 2x reading again. Update: As of PlexTools Professional version 2.14 the Plextor DVD recorders can be unlocked via the "SpeedRead CD/DVD" option. This is the easiest way to enable SpeedRead."

IMHO, Plextor drives are way over-priced and way over-rated. You can buy a Liteon or Pioneer at very reasonable prices ($40 or less OEM/retail). Head on over to newegg and check it out...

:bowdown: :bowdown: WE'RE NOT WORTHY:bowdown: :bowdown:
SLYSOFT is the SHIZNIT!!!

For those of you who use the sleep or hibernate function, is there a certain button or series of buttons you can push to turn it on immediately. I have mine set to hibernate after 2 hours of inactivity, but at the end of the night, it'd be nice if I just force it into hibernation/sleep. The only thing I saw that might work is "standby."

Back