• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Layer break issues on standalone player

gga01

Hi,
I recently used CloneDVD to copy DL-DVD's (movie only).
Now on several cases my standalone Panasonic hangs up at the layer break.

Copying after burning the CloneDVD-output via e.g. Nero doesn't cause that problem.

Any hint?
Thanks

well what's the media type you use ? Crappy media can cause results like that

CloneDVD changes the layer break position. Where it puts it may be noticeable, may not be. Usually media and/or burn speed is a bigger issue. I'm not sure what Nero does with the layer break. CloneCD will make a 1:1 and keep the layer break where it was. Might try that and see if you have the same issue.

Hi,

Copying after burning the CloneDVD-output via e.g. Nero doesn't cause that problem.

Any hint?
Thanks

By the way, since you're only doing the movie only, do you really need a DL disc? Most movies can be put on a SL (DVD5) with very little, if any, compression when choosing the movie only.

Umm.....
He was talking about burning the CloneDVD output with Nero - vs burning the CloneDVD output with CloneDVD.

In both cases the laywer break position is set with CloneDVD - only the burning software changes.

-W

Umm.....
He was talking about burning the CloneDVD output with Nero - vs burning the CloneDVD output with CloneDVD.

In both cases the laywer break position is set with CloneDVD - only the burning software changes.

-W

Immaterial. The issue is 1) Was the layer break change noticeable, 2) Was the "pause" caused by the media or burn speed not the layer break change, 3) Is a DL disc even needed, 4) Do they want to try CloneCD and keep the layer break where it was if needing/going to use a DL disc. No need to nit pick, the reply was still valid.

"CloneDVD changes the layer break position. Where it puts it may be noticeable, may not be. Usually media and/or burn speed is a bigger issue. I'm not sure what Nero does with the layer break."

Seems like a comparison of sotware driven layer break positions to me...

My underlying "whine" is that people are not taking the time to really read or assimilate what the OP's are trying to say.
Insted they are throwing out cookie cutter answers - that may or amy not apply to the situation as explained.

You're right that a DL disk isn't needed for movie only.

-W

Last edited:
Hi,

Any hint?
Thanks

Thanks to Clams, this is probably the reason - media. I used to use DVD-R DL discs (Verbatim), till I realised even after a perfect 1:1 copy a noticable pause would occur during the layer transition / layer break. These were burnt at 8x on Verbatim DVD-R DL. Due to Clams info I read further info proving that DVD+R DL have better error control and a movable layer break (unlike the -DL format where its locked in position). I then burnt a movie on DVD+R DL, and then the pause / layer transition issue never occurred again.

This proved it was the -R DL fixed layer break position which was causing the problem.

The OP didn't say they were using DVD-R DL discs, they said they were using DL-DVDs. The DVD-R DL format is for the most part useless. Webslinger had been speaking against them for years.

The OP didn't say they were using DVD-R DL discs, they said they were using DL-DVDs. The DVD-R DL format is for the most part useless. Webslinger had been speaking against them for years.

Oh yes.. Mr. Slinger was very outspoken about DVD-R DL.
I believe it's because they cannot be booktyped, as well as the fixed layer break issue.

-W

I use DVD-DL's for movie only if those movies need compression beyond ~10-15% (that's the case for most movies > 2 hours).
At higher compression levels certain artefacts are recognisable. Even if DL's are much more expensive, it's worth in terms of quality.

I'll try +R and lower write speed (4x).

Thx. to you guys

The term DL-DVDs refers to DVD-DL discs, it just that someone used the incorrect term in the wrong manner. Some people dont refer to the names of the types of media as written.

I use DVD-DL's for movie only if those movies need compression beyond ~10-15% (that's the case for most movies > 2 hours).
At higher compression levels certain artefacts are recognisable. Even if DL's are much more expensive, it's worth in terms of quality.

I'll try +R and lower write speed (4x).

Thx. to you guys

FYI - If your referring to Dual Layer discs, the correct term is DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL, not "DVD-DL". I would recommend (as I do) only purchasing +R DL in future. I write to +R DL at 8x no higher as this causes errors.

Back