• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Encountered a problem!

so what I gather from our conversation is that AnyDVD probably screwed up in the process of ripping the DVD and that I should rip it again (once I get the DVD again) using CloneDVD2. Right?

Ill have to spend money to get Clonedvd2 NOW :(

I also wanted to ask you guys whether my methods for DVD backup are the most efficient? I'd like to know how you folks do it?

Well FixVTS just finished processing and I tried opening the files through Shrink again but to no avail :( !

So looks like I have to get the DVD again.

Don't Worry

I am happy...sometimes confused or temporarily grumpy..but that happens to the best of us. Very happy in particular when SlySoft has an update that fixes my issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

I would like oogabooga to be feeling the same way & sometimes a long shot is the only shot you have left. Say thanks to your team for actually participating in the forums. It is kinda cool and it keeps us informed!

@oog, sorry it did not work for you. Yes get a hold of your disk again and try again after a clean install. You may be surprised. There are so many methods of back up it is hard to say what is best and what is not. But I do like the SlySoft products because they are on top of the updates and seem concerned that it is working for their customers. If it still fails after re-trying the original disk. It may be a bad disk and need to be returned.

Last edited:
so what I gather from our conversation is that AnyDVD probably screwed up in the process of ripping the DVD and that I should rip it again (once I get the DVD again) using CloneDVD2. Right?
If FixVTS can't fix it - yes.

Ill have to spend money to get Clonedvd2 NOW :(
You won't regret it.:D
But you can try the 21 day evaluation version first.

I also wanted to ask you guys whether my methods for DVD backup are the most efficient? I'd like to know how you folks do it?
Webslinger was nice enough to put a little sticky on the site:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=328

I solely use CloneDVD2 to rip, if Shrink fails to open the discs directly from the original disc.

This is my preferred method (I usually set Anydvd to "Jump Directly to the title Menu"):

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=2366&postcount=1

For single layer blanks, I'll just use Clonedvd2 and split across two discs. I hate transcoding. I also hate encoding, for that matter.

Good news! Just found the original disc!!! So James how do I rip using Clonedvd2?

Good news! Just found the original disc!!! So James how do I rip using Clonedvd2?

1. Have Anydvd running on your toolbar. Stick the original disc in your optical reader.

2. Select "Clone DvD" from Clonedvd2's startup menu.

3. Select your optical reader in "dvd video files"

4. Choose the titles you want to backup

5. Click "preserve menus" if you want to preserve the menus.

6. Select "dvd-5" if you want to compress. Select "dvd+/-r dl" if you don't want to compress.

7. Click next

8. Select the audio and subtitles you want to backup.

9. Click next

10. Select "dvd files" for the output method

11. Enter the output directory. Click "Go"

1. Have Anydvd running on your toolbar. Stick the original disc in your optical reader.

2. Select "Clone DvD" from Clonedvd2's startup menu.

3. Select your optical reader in "dvd video files"

4. Choose the titles you want to backup

5. Click "preserve menus" if you want to preserve the menus.

6. Select "dvd-5" if you want to compress. Select "dvd+/-r dl" if you don't want to compress.

7. Click next

8. Select the audio and subtitles you want to backup.

9. Click next

10. Select "dvd files" for the output method

11. Enter the output directory. Click "Go"

Sweet! Its ripping as we speak! But one question! I dont have a Dual layer burner, and I noticed you instructed me to select DVD+/-R DL in the Quality drop down menu, so how will I burn this DVD onto the disk then?

You will then need to open the freshly ripped title in clone or shrink and edit your audio and subtitles and then burn as usual.

I noticed you instructed me to select DVD+/-R DL in the Quality drop down menu, so how will I burn this DVD onto the disk then?

I didn't tell you to do that. I told you to make a choice (depending on what you need to do).

You know, if you want to just burn to a SL disc, then in step 10 choose your burner instead of dvd files, and in step 6 choose "dvd-5".

Keep in mind Slysoft products do not do bitsetting nor change booktypes of blank media. If you need to change the booktype to dvd-rom (for compatibility playback purposes), do this first if you need to (some burner's own software that comes packaged with the burner will do this instead, by default):

"Change the booktype of the +R DL media to "dvd-rom". Use Nero cd-dvd speed to do this if you have to: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
This is a free program. (Click "Extra", then "Bitsetting". Make the change to "dvd-rom" and click "set".)"

Last edited:
oh ok! I hope this works now! Ill keep you guys posted!

Thanx for the help everyone!

@James

If this works I'll buy CloneDVD2 :D

Its awesome how slysoft setup this forum where their team comes and answers questions from NOOBS like myself! SLYSOFT KICKS A** :bowdown: :bowdown:

I didn't tell you to do that. I told you to make a choice (depending on what you need to do).

You know, if you want to just burn to a SL disc, then in step 10 choose your burner instead of dvd files, and in step 6 choose "dvd-5".

Keep in mind Slysoft products do not do bitsetting nor change booktypes of blank media. If you need to change the booktype to dvd-rom (for compatibility playback purposes), do this first if you need to (some burner's own software that comes packaged with the burner will do this instead, by default):

"Change the booktype of the +R DL media to "dvd-rom". Use Nero cd-dvd speed to do this if you have to: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
This is a free program. (Click "Extra", then "Bitsetting". Make the change to "dvd-rom" and click "set".)"

Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood! So if I choose the options you said then I can simply clone a DVD? That would be awesome! not having to rip it onto my HD and then making another image!

But you mentioned that this compromises quality of the DVD? How so? If you dont mind explaining? Thanx.

Also I have no idea what "bitsetting" is? If you can explain or give me a link where it is described, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanx again for your time.:)

Ok CloneDVD2 worked like a charm! Thanx again Webslinger.

*buys CloneDVD2" :D

Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood! So if I choose the options you said then I can simply clone a DVD? That would be awesome! not having to rip it onto my HD and then making another image!

Yes, you don't need to rip to your hard drive first before using Clonedvd2. You don't need to rip to your hard drive first before using Shrink, either, for that matter. With Anydvd you don't need to rip to your hard drive first before using most burning applications.

But you mentioned that this compromises quality of the DVD?

Shrink, Nero Recode, and Clonedvd2 transcode video in order to compress the data onto a single layer disc. The more you compress, the worse the video quality is. Check your quality bars.

Also I have no idea what "bitsetting" is? If you can explain or give me a link where it is described, I would greatly appreciate it!

Basically, most standalone dvd players can handle dvd-roms. When you use a dvd+r, for example, standalone dvd players may not be able to play them, until you change the booktype from "dvd+r" to "dvd-rom". In my previous post, I outlined how to do this. This isn't a very thorough description, but really that's all you need to know.

Last edited:
Yes, you don't need to rip to your hard drive first before using Clonedvd2.

Shrink, Nero Recode, and Clonedvd2 transcode video in order to compress the data onto a single layer disc. The more you compress, the worse the video quality is. Check your quality bars.

Basically, most standalone dvd players can handle dvd-roms. When you use a dvd+r, for example, standalone dvd players may not be able to play them, until you change the booktype from "dvd+r" to "dvd-rom". In my previous post, I outlined how to do this. This isn't a very thorough description, but really that's all you need to know.

So if I dont want to compromise quality then what do I do?

Sorry! I know I'm just being annoying now :p

So if I dont want to compromise quality then what do I do?

Please read http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=2442&postcount=45

Basically, if you don't want to compromise quality, you use Verbatim +R DL blanks, Clonecd, and Anydvd.
You can also substitute Clonedvd2 with Clonecd here, but Clonedvd2 cannot retain the original layer break position.

Or you can split the movie across two single layer blanks using Clonedvd2. Clonedvd2 can retain menus over split discs. Shrink can't. Shrink can split more precisely though.

Sorry! I know I'm just being annoying now :p

No worries. I'm here to help.

Last edited:
Ok thanx again everyone for your help! I will definately recommend AnyDVD to everyone I know! :D

CloneDVD2 sucessfully "Cloned" a DVD without me ripping it to HD! Sweet.

Ok thanx again everyone for your help! I will definately recommend AnyDVD to everyone I know! :D

CloneDVD2 sucessfully "Cloned" a DVD without me ripping it to HD! Sweet.

Actually CloneDVD2 ripped the DVD instead of anydvd doing it. Just so you know.:D

Back