• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Mediagate 1080P Media Player

BillieBog

Using cloneDVD and anyDVD, I have been putting my DVD's in iso files on hard drive for some time now. I bought this little media player from Amazon for under $100. My hard drive hooks directly to it. The player has an HDMI connection out that goes to my receiver and TV. The menu etc is a little primitive, but the playback quality is great. The remote is a little touchy and the cooling fan is loud--but is totally drowned out by the sound of the movie.

I am thinking about starting to buy movies on blu-ray discs. Does cloneDVD work for blu-ray? What kind of file is generated for the blu-ray disks?

Also, I was thinking of buying another media player for the bedroom TV. Is anyone aware of other products like the mediagate? I haven't been able to find anything else that plays iso files.

Is there a media player for blu-ray files?

Thanks,
Billie

Not familiar with media gate, it sounds similar to WD HD TV live and Popcorn Hour which can play blu-ray files, to a point.

I don't believe there is any media player that can play Blu-ray ISO images flawlessly, so you'll probably need a computer with blu-ray dive and anyHD to rip them to a image then a program like BD CLOWN (found here the the forum),???? for the moment i can't remember the name of the other program I use, or a MakeMKV type program that extract the core sound and movie in to one file (m2ts, ts, MKV) for the media player to play back.

I looked at the WD HD TV live specs at Western Digital http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735
and iso is not included in the video file types supported. Have you used it for iso files?

Are you creating blu-ray iso files? I just realized I will need a new disk drive to read blu-ray if I do this. Any suggestions?

I have been playing my iso files with Slysoft's virtual clonedrive. Will it play blu-ray iso files?

Thanks for the comments,
Billie 8)

It (WD HD TV) plays DVD ISOs, decent enough, didn't load the menu just played the movie. It did play a few Blu-ray ISOs too (again movie only), but those sometimes had trouble because of the HD sound or codec used for video.

I haven't tested this with new WD HD TV Live, mostly because I've converted most of my ISO files to smaller files keeping the movies or shows only.

I don't think WD ever officially supported ISOs, but their products could do it in a limited fashion. Keep in mind most of my experience with wd and iso are from the first WD Tv and those first firmwares, if they changed it I can't say.

Virtual CloneDrive works beautifully with Blu-ray ISOs. I use anyHD to make the ISO, Virtual CloneDrive to load it and arcsoft TMT 3 to watch it (powerdvd 9 too, you can use just about any media player that does bluray as long as the PC can handle it)

Far as Blu-ray disc drives go I really don't know, last ones I got were the LG's that read both HD dvd and Blu-ray. There are new and better ones available now.

Somebody here might have a few good suggestions for you.

Thanks.

The Mediagate displays the menu and you can arrow thru it and select different items. It is not totally functional and is sometimes hinky--but in general has been great.

With the price of hard drive storage going down, down, down, I haven't really tried to get rid of the extras on the disks.

The great thing about this subject is that my iso files do not become obsolete if I move to blu-ray as my future source. In fact, it sounds like the only "new" thing I need is a drive and maybe software to play the file. That has caused frustration--going from VHS (hundreds of tapes donated to the library), to Beta (fortunately I didn't get caught out with this format), to Laser (had about 20 or 30 movies--very short lived but a load of totally wasted money), to the current DVD.

Billie :disagree:

Back