• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

GWW-H20L marginal DVD performance

Stormcrow

Hi, all.

Here's a data point for reference.

The kids have scratched a DVD ( Mummy returns ) so it skipped badly in the PS3. I've run it through my SkipDoctor disk polishing machine dozens of times, and have managed to get it to the stage where it plays OK. But I decided to image it as a precaution.

My new i7 system has a GWW-H20L, which I love. Crank up Imgburn to make an ISO. Slowish read speeds during the undamaged section, and then multiple re-tries at the scratch point, which often worked. Got to 80% and then the re-tries failed.

Decided to try another drive, so threw it in the kid's Dell box with no-name DVD-Rom drive. Blasted through it with barely a hesitaion at the scratch points. ISO is in the can, all is well.

So moral of the tale: always try another drive if you have marginal media. And don't assume that a cheap no-name drive will perform worse than a fancy drive.

--
SC

I always do this my old but very expensive DVD drives from way back when, whilst slow seem to handle almost any media. I guess the low cost mass production devices of today simply stay in spec whereas the antiques were built to last.

I've found the same for Blu-ray as well, I have a Sony BDW-100a which seems to play just about anything I throw at it whereas the same discs aren't always even recognised in my 2 Pioneer Blu-ray drives

I crossed flashed my GBWH to a GGW in order to play HDs. Does anyone know how to play a HD as all the power DVD stuff does not work or media player. Do I need to rip it with ???? to my hard drive in a ???? format that I can play?

Thanks in advance,

You either need a version of PDVD that will play HD DVD or TMT

Back