• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Freeze-up's/ slow response

OBMDH6

I am currently using 2 identical DVD burners (lite-on 20x) and both have lite-scribe capabilities. When I'm burning a DVD in one drive I simultaneously burn the lite-scribe label in the other drive. I've noticed this has caused some "freezing up" and "slow response" of my mouse pointer and drives at times. Both drives are on the same IDE cable, I'm wondering if moving one drive to a different IDE channel (cable) might help alleviate some of these problems. Also wonder if SATA DVD drives/writers would be a better way to go , or perhaps using one SATA drive and one IDE??? Any thought greatly appreciated. Thx

I copy with one drive, burn with the other while doing other things on the PC quite regularly and I don't experience any problems...... both IDE drives on the same IDE channel.
If the second drive was installed aftermarket, that is a possible cause of your problem. Pre-built PC's come with decent power supplies but are, as a rule, only adequate to power what the PC manufacturer originally installed in the PC.

Drives

That's not the case, I built my own PC and I'm currently using a 750w psu. I might mention the fact that these temporary "freeze-ups" seem to be happening briefly as I load a disc and the PC is accessing the media. In other words...If I'm using Clone DVD to copy in drive D and load a disc into drive E to burn a lightscribe label , Clone DVD will freeze up for several seconds. Given this scenario, I return to my original thought, and wonder if putting the second drive (E currently "slave") on a different IDE channel or switching to a SATA DVD drive could do away with this quirk ??? I think this may be something that is unavoidable when using one IDE channel and access times may vary with different brands of DVD drives. The system I have built for myself is as follows: Mobo is a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and I'm running a 6600 core 2 duo with 4 gig's of GSkill ram (Windows actually likes 2 gig's), as I mentioned my PSU is a Thermaltake 750 watt modular with 120 mm fan, the HD is a 150 GB Raptor X SATA and as I mentioned my DVD drives are Lite-On 20x lightscribe units with the most current drivers.

Only one device on any ide cable can be active at any one time. (That is why you should never put source and destination devices on the same ide cable, unless you have no other option. Harddrive/reader, reader/burner, and hardrive/burner . . . Each device in each combination I just mentioned should be on separate ide channels/cables; most harddrives are using SATA now, so the hardrive doesn't really matter anymore as most don't use IDE)

If you're using two burners on the same ide channel at the exact same time, then it's pretty obvious why you're experiencing issues. If you stick two burners on the same ide cable and use them at the same time, only one can be active at one time (so you'll see on burner being active--and then other burner being active . . . this should switch back and forth rapidly . . . the problem is you'll also be engaging your buffer underrun protection, which may produce poor quality burns). Switching one burner to SATA may improve things for you, but keep in mind, you'll have to deal with additional drivers (which may cause more headaches) in addition to possibly having to check off "safe mode" in Anydvd (getting Anydvd to work with some SATA burners--in addition to external USB drives, I find, is a little more time consuming).

Last edited:
2 burners on one IDE channel

That would certainly answer allot of questions, and I thank you. Since I'm using a SATA HD and have an unused IDE channel ,I quess it is just a simple matter of moving the "slave" DVD drive to it. When doing this, do I need to put the jumper back to the "Master" position or simply leave it in "slave" ??? Thx, Dan H.

Freeze-up's/slow response

It would seem that did the trick but leads me to my next question. "In theory", when using 2 IDE channels I would think you could use 2 instances of Clone DVD copying 2 different DVD's at the same time. Unfortunately I'm finding this isn't the case as I keep getting an error message stating: "unable to delete file: C:/CloneDVDTemp/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB . I think it's because both drives would have to share the same temp file which is used to write to, is there anyway around this ??? Thx, Dan H.

Freeze-up's/slow response

I might also mention one thing more, since I've installed my second drive to the IDE connection my old HDD used to occupy, I'm noticing the DVD copy speed has really slowed down (nearly doubled). I went into my system device manager and insured "DMA if available" is selected on all channels but unfortunately I didn't get a system hardware change message. I did reboot just the same but it's still very slow compared to the other drive. I might add that both drives are identical Light-On 20x (IDE) DVD burners.

Unfortunately I'm finding this isn't the case as I keep getting an error message stating: "unable to delete file: C:/CloneDVDTemp/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB .

I suspect in the output method screen of Clonedvd2, you probably have "Delete temporary video files after writing" checked. Please ensure it's unchecked.

I did reboot just the same but it's still very slow compared to the other drive. I might add that both drives are identical Light-On 20x (IDE) DVD burners.

But is DMA actually enabled on both channels? Please ensure that's the case.

Try running only one instance of Clonedvd and burning using the "slower" burner. Is that fast now? The thing is, when you run two instances, the overall speed will be slower, because you're likely accessing the same files at the exact same time on your hard drive. I'm not sure there's a way around that.

But I suspect the freezing with your mouse/system, etc., is no longer an issue, right?

Freez-up's

The freezing up and mouse issues are gone, you were right on the money with your suggestion. Many Thanks

Freeze-Up's

I did see your suggested sollution and thanks for that. I think I may be getting ahead of myself a bit here. I have to tell you that after moving my second DVD drive to my old HDD channel it continues to copy very slow. I attempted to copy a DVD in each drive (one drive at a time) and the drive I moved to the seperate IDE channel is slow . I went back into the device manager and made sure DMA was selected but for some reason it is still slow. I guess my question would be, how can I check to see if DMA is infact enabled for that drive ? Thx

I did see your suggested sollution and thanks for that. I think I may be getting ahead of myself a bit here. I have to tell you that after moving my second DVD drive to my old HDD channel it continues to copy very slow. I attempted to copy a DVD in each drive (one drive at a time) and the drive I moved to the seperate IDE channel is slow . I went back into the device manager and made sure DMA was selected but for some reason it is still slow. I guess my question would be, how can I check to see if DMA is infact enabled for that drive ? Thx

If both primary and secondary ide channels are listed as using DMA, then it should be enabled. It's also possible there might be a limitation in your bios somewhere (although, I think this is rare now). You might want to check your motherboard's bios settings.

Oh wait. Are you using an 80 wire ribbon cable (UDMA 80 conductor type)? If not, maybe you need to.
It's possible your old hard drive didn't use one (depending on how old it is).

Here's a picture that may help you (they are both 40 pin cables with the 19pin blocked off, but the number of wires differ):
http://www.mikeshardware.com/pics/ide8040pin.jpg

A 40 wire cable to me seems a likely culprit.

Last edited:
Re:

I'm using the correct cable, for some reason the IDE DVD drive I connected to the HDD IDE socket is not being detected in the bios but oddly enough it works....albiet at a much slower speed than the other drive. This is really a buggy problem, I'm begining to think I was better off running off the same IDE channel (LOL).

I'm using the correct cable, for some reason the IDE DVD drive I connected to the HDD IDE socket

Oh, is it specifically labelled HDD IDE?

is not being detected in the bios

It's possible you're experiencing some sort of bios issue (have you enabled autodetect device or something similar for that ide channel in bios?). Have you checked for a bios update?

If you switch back, you'll have the freezing issues again, in all likelyhood.

Last edited:
Re:

Yes it's labeled specificlly HDD and is color coded blue, I recently switched to a SATA HDD which freed up the IDE HDD connector. I'm guessing it can only be used for an IDE HDD ???
The Mobo I'm using is an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe socket 775

Re:

I do appreciate all your efforts. I have posted the question to a forum on the web that deals specificlly with that motherboard in the hopes someone will have an answer. I'll be sure to post my findings for others to see. Again, Thanks Allot , Dan H.

Back