• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD 2.9.2.5 beta

James

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
This beta version is intended *only* for SlySoft customers.
There is no trial period. It can only be used with licenses purchased online.

This is beta software, intended for experienced users. Have fun testing!
Feedback is welcome. Thank you.

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupCloneDVD2925.exe

Version 2.9.2.5 2009 08 12
- New: Increased performance of the transcoder
- New: Improved handling of layer break position
- New: Creates .dvd files for correct layer break handling
with Virtual CloneDrive and CloneCD
- New: Parses .dvd files for correct layer break position
when writing to dual layer media
- New: Show warning, if a single layer image file is about to be
written to dual layer media
- New: Added support for writers with drive letters "A" or "B"
- New: As some DVD players behave weird, if DVD playback stops,
all titles copied without menus will loop
- Some minor changes and improvements

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I mis-read the description of IfoEdit in figure.
Layer-break position is between the cell(V/C-ID=91/1) and the cell(V/C-ID=92/1) as you say.
(I remember above problem was found in RecordNow 7.21.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=851894#post851894
Feature of CloneDVD seems to be similar to RecordNow7 and Nero6.)

But the cell(V/C-ID=92/1) is multiangle cell. It is perhaps illegal. I've never seen it in comercial DVDs.

ImgBurn was same before, and fixed in ver.2.2.0.0.
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=77926
(author saying in post#2)

I confirmed CleneDVD 2.9.2.5beta.
Layer-break is changed and not before multi-angle cell.
Thank very much.

Regards.

I confirmed CleneDVD 2.9.2.5beta.
Layer-break is changed and not before multi-angle cell.
Thank very much.

Regards.

Great, thank you for testing.

About the feature of layer-break, I think it is need to be recognized the difference between +R/DL and -R/DL.
+R/DL is generally used and current feature is satisfied,
but -R/DL is always burned all L0(2,092,896 sectors), so current feature will be ignored.(it is common about other burning softwares.)
ImgBurn and PgcEdit have different setting about each of +R/DL and -R/DL.

(I think it must not be need to have the feature for -R/DL, though it is better.
because -R/DL is not suitable for DVD-VIDEO in the point that outerside is always used.)
I just think it had better to be recognized.

Regards.

Last edited:
About the feature of layer-break, I think it is need to be recognized the difference between +R/DL and -R/DL.
+R/DL is generally used and current feature is satisfied,
but -R/DL is always burned all L0(2,092,896 sectors), so current feature will be ignored.(it is common about other burning softwares.)
ImgBurn and PgcEdit have different setting about each of +R/DL and -R/DL.

(I think it must not be need to have the feature for -R/DL, though it is better.
because -R/DL is not suitable for DVD-VIDEO in the point that outerside is always used.)
I just think it had better to be recognized.

Regards.
You are correct. DVD-R/DL should not be used with CloneDVD and CloneCD, they both cannot set the layer break with this type of media. I don't know of any way to do this with DVD-R/DL media. How did ImgBurn solve this problem?

Another problem is with CloneCD and copying discs with parallel track path where the first layer is smaller than the second, this cannot be done with DVD+R/DL media. I think CloneDVD will find an alternate good layer break position, if possible.

You are correct. DVD-R/DL should not be used with CloneDVD and CloneCD, they both cannot set the layer break with this type of media. I don't know of any way to do this with DVD-R/DL media. How did ImgBurn solve this problem?
ImgBurn's feature is different from CloneDVD. It is possible that we can select layer-break cell if it satisfy some rules.
*+R/DL ; L0=>L1, L0=<2,086,912, L0+L1=<4,173,824, L0=multiple of 16 sectors(ECC block).
*-R/DL ; L0=>L1, L0=2,092,896, L0+L1=<4,171,712
It is done by adjusting starting sector of VIDEO_TS.IFO. (It is same as CloneDVD.)

I expeienced the commercial DVD which there is no suitable cell of layer-break for -R/DL. Its layer-break is among of cell, not boundary.

Another problem is with CloneCD and copying discs with parallel track path where the first layer is smaller than the second, this cannot be done with DVD+R/DL media. I think CloneDVD will find an alternate good layer break position, if possible.
I've experienced to test such DVD with ImgBurn.
When burning from DVD-Video files, there is no problem. It can be select suitable cell and adjust starting sector.
When burning from ISO file, it can't adjust starting sector, so layer-break position is among of cell, first boundary of VOBU and ECC block over half of size.

Regards.

Layer break mumbo jumbo

For those of us that do not understand all of the technical layer break mumbo jumbo; :bowdown:

Is it ok to use this new beta version of Clone DVD?

Thank you!

For those of us that do not understand all of the technical layer break mumbo jumbo; :bowdown:

Is it ok to use this new beta version of Clone DVD?

Thank you!

Yes, the new beta is okay to use. Using DVD+R media is recommended if your drive supports it. This is especially recommended when dealing with DL blank media.

Yes, the new beta is okay to use. Using DVD+R media is recommended if your drive supports it. This is especially recommended when dealing with DL blank media.

Alrighty then, thank you!

In regards to using Clone DVD vs CloneCD, is Clone Cd still recommended if using DL discs, or does it not matter now?

Alrighty then, thank you!

In regards to using Clone DVD vs CloneCD, is Clone Cd still recommended if using DL discs, or does it not matter now?

I also should have noted that people should use recommended and known good media. Refer here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=549.

To answer your question, both products have their strong points.

CloneCD can only make a 1:1 backup minus removed protections. You cannot shrink the output to fit on a single layer disc if the original disc wasn't a single layer disc. You do, on the other hand, retain the layer break as it was on the original disc. You also can copy non-Video files if the disc contains more than just DVD Video. Among those things are the JACKET_P folder and possibly autorun garbage.

CloneDVD does not retain the layer break. You can remove unwanted video titles, video angles, audio streams, subtitles, and/or menus. You can compress/transcode your backup to fit on a single layer blank when the original was not a single layer release. When making a backup CloneDVD ignores everything that isn't located in the VIDEO_TS folder so no other material on the original DVD is copied over.

Both products serve important needs but the decision on which is best really comes down to the person using the software and what they seek to accomplish when making backups. Many people have registrations for both products but that's up to the individual.

Has the idea of adding a simulation feature to CloneDVD ever been discussed?

It's not so important, but just for the sake of completeness.

I also should have noted that people should use recommended and known good media. Refer here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=549.

I use Verbatim (Made in Singapore) DVR-R DL and the reason I choose "-" is because they have a higher write speed of 4x compared to the Verbatim (Made in Singpore) DVD+R DL which only has a write speed of 2x, but have written to these at 4x and even 8x with no errors.

I use Verbatim (Made in Singapore) DVR-R DL and the reason I choose "-" is because they have a higher write speed of 4x compared to the Verbatim (Made in Singpore) DVD+R DL which only has a write speed of 2x

No, that's misleading. MKM 001 (Verbatim +R DL) is rated up to 6x, and 4x is perfectly fine with those discs, despite the fact the bold printing states 2.4x on the label.

And MKM 003 (also Verbatim+R DL) is rated up to 10x.

Last edited:
When I have to copy a movie where the original DVD uses parallel track, I use AnyDVD to rip to image, and then burn the ISO with Imgburn. Imgburn will give an error message about the image not having been mastered correctly, and then I just let it calculate its own Layer Break. So far so good. From what I've seen, most of the DVD's that have used parallel track have a non-main-movie section at the split, like say a special feature.

az_raiden

When I have to copy a movie where the original DVD uses parallel track, I use AnyDVD to rip to image, and then burn the ISO with Imgburn. Imgburn will give an error message about the image not having been mastered correctly, and then I just let it calculate its own Layer Break. So far so good. From what I've seen, most of the DVD's that have used parallel track have a non-main-movie section at the split, like say a special feature.

az_raiden

Dont use anydvd to rip. CLoneDVd is a better and fast ripper.

az_raiden

You can just use CloneDVD 2.9.2.5. It will calculate a wonderful layer break position. And it will first try to position the layer break between files.

Dont use anydvd to rip. CLoneDVd is a better and fast ripper.

AnyDVD has no problem.
It is wrong to rip DVD of parallel track as ISO. Other rippers will have same result.
Because DVD of parallel track permit L0<L1, though +R/DL should be L0>=L1, and LBA of ISO is same as original DVD and can't be adjusted.

CloneDVD is not ripper. It re-creates ISO from decrypted files by AnyDVD in background. It's LBA is different from original DVD. So it has no problem.

Regards.

No, that's misleading. MKM 001 (Verbatim +R DL) is rated up to 6x, and 4x is perfectly fine with those discs, despite the fact the bold printing states 2.4x on the label.And MKM 003 (also Verbatim+R DL) is rated up to 10x.

Looks like +R here i come :). How can I tell the MKM version?

Last edited:
Back