• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Program Compatability Assistant message W7 RTM

skypx

I am assusming this will be fixed once W7 is available in October? I'm using W7 RTM (yes it's the legal version) and whenever AnyDVD HD is installed the message comes up. I've done some testing and I don't think it presents a problem, but it might scare some users.

Attachments

• anydvd hd message.jpg
    anydvd hd message.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 66
Vista sometime does the samething. Just choose second option in message window :)

I really don't think it's a general AnyDVD problem.
By that, I mean a repeatable demonstrable failure; I suspect it may only occour under certain circumstances, perhaps UAC related?

I got no such error installing 6.5.7.1 on Win7 RTM build x64.
But I suspect I had already turned UAC off at that point.

I've only done one win7 test installation to date, so I can only provide one data point.

--
SC

I just downloaded 6.5.7.3 beta and recieved the same message with Windows 7 RC x64. I have not had this with any other version of anydvdhd.
________
Starcraft Ii Replays

Last edited:
Did the same for me, but it's still installed properly.

A W7 issue? I don't think so. Don't want to blame Slysoft, but it might be that the installer code needs to be W7 compatible.

That's what I was thinking also. Hopefully the solution will be easy to implement. ;)

I do.

Well, W7 code is final and there will be no significant changes until SP1.

W7 just supposes that AnyDVD was not able to install itself properly and the message is all that it says.
The message wouldn't appear, if there would be no problem. ;)

What I'm wondering about is why it says, "Unknown Program" and "Unknown Publisher".

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

Well, W7 code is final and there will be no significant changes until SP1.

W7 just supposes that AnyDVD was not able to install itself properly and the message is all that it says.
No, the message says that AnyDVD perhaps, maybe, might not be installed properly. And W7 is wrong. ;)

I have been getting the same on Win 7 RC, but never had any real problems, so I just didn't mind. I thought my RC had become somehow corrupt like the first beta did when I installed it, but glad to know it's not that.

No, the message says that AnyDVD perhaps, maybe, might not be installed properly. And W7 is wrong. ;)

Well, I trust and believe you. :)

But Microsoft isn't going to change the code for Slysoft and why would W7 bring up that "error" message if there's no problem?

Maybe there's an explanation in the MSDN library or in a KB article.
Or there's just one tiny little bit of code in the installer that W7 doesn't like.

Well, I trust and believe you. :)

But Microsoft isn't going to change the code for Slysoft and why would W7 bring up that "error" message if there's no problem?

Maybe there's an explanation in the MSDN library or in a KB article.
Or there's just one tiny little bit of code in the installer that W7 doesn't like.
You tell me. ;)
BTW, in my tests I don't see this problem with W7 RTM.

Look closer. It is not an "error".

Look closer. It is not an "error".
Absolutely correct. If 7 works the same way as Vista (and it probably does), if you exit the install process by clicking Cancel you get this "error" message. It automatically pops up if the install program, upon exiting, reports anything other than absolute, 100% success (i.e., non-zero error code).

Since in this case Vista doesn't know for certain what caused the installer to terminate, it assumes it could have been an XP compatibility issue and offers to reinstall with appropriate XP compatibility settings (for example, a forced UAC prompt before the installer launches) if you select the first option. If that's not what you need--either because the installation actually succeeded, or because you intended to cancel--just choose the second option (as Hawk said in post 2 of this thread).

As far as the "unknown" entries at the top, IIRC those fields come from the installer's Microsoft signature. Microsoft tends to change those with every new Windows release; SlySoft's current signatures are likely for Vista and earlier, so it's not surprising that 7 returns "unknown" at present.

Last edited:
You tell me. ;)
BTW, in my tests I don't see this problem with W7 RTM.

I've seen it with Vista, and I'm sure I could get W7 to do it since they are near identical in many ways. I'll try it.

But my understanding is it comes from how the install interacts with the stuff Windows Vista/7 does to make it look like a user has installed programs into Program Files and other directories they don't really have permissions to write to.

I think it happens if you quit the installer in an unusual way or if after install you launch and quit the program you just installed a couple times. It makes the OS think you're doing this because the program isn't working correctly and thus it offers to fix it for you.

I think if you had an installer program that was fully compliant with the proper locations that files are supposed to be installed to under Vista and W7, instead of it using it's backwards compatible XP fakery, then it wouldn't ever put up this window no matter how quickly you quit and launched the program you just installed.

But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'll try to reproduce it on a W7 machine at some point, I can't really do it on Vista since my Vista machine already has Any DVD HD installed and it won't ever come up after you've used an installed program a couple times and it is convinced it is working okay.

Back