• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request: Option for AnyDVD to Auto-Update

I just had to dismiss a couple dozen repetitions of the popup announcing an updated version, so I'd like to reiterate my request for an auto update feature. I love the updates, but I also believe that the purpose of computers is to do tasks for us, not to create tasks for us.

gimme a break...they send out emails...you can't be that lazy that you cannot download. come on.

I prefer they keep development going on useful features....

gimme a break...they send out emails...you can't be that lazy that you cannot download. come on.

I prefer they keep development going on useful features....

Let's not go down a path that leads to bad things...

A new version comes out and people get a notification within AnyDVD if that have that option enabled and an email. People can select to update or not. People can opt to disable the "annoying" update notification or not.

As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".

...I prefer they keep development going on useful features....
What is useful is a matter of opinion. There may not be hundreds of people requesting this feature, but I am also sure that there won't be anywhere near as many complaining about it if it does get implemented.

I would also really really like this feature. It could be made optional, so people who don't want to use it could turn it off. But the idea that anydvdhd could just download a new update, install it and restart anydvd without intervention or computer restart is very appealing.

again...ohh brother....

but if it needs to be implemented it has to be after sly player, cloneBD, the mobile update people want, etc...People will complain more about those than some update feature

Let's not go down a path that leads to bad things...

A new version comes out and people get a notification within AnyDVD if that have that option enabled and an email. People can select to update or not. People can opt to disable the "annoying" update notification or not.

As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".

Have you ever tried disabling it? The hilarious thing is that when you update AnyDVD, that setting gets reset and it resumes harrassing you again.

again...ohh brother....

but if it needs to be implemented it has to be after sly player, cloneBD, the mobile update people want, etc...People will complain more about those than some update feature

To be honest, I don't care about Sly Player, or cloneBD, or anything mobile. Those sound like major projects, and also non-issues as long as AnyDVD is operating. All Sly Player would really be good for is playing HD-DVDs, and let's face reality, you're never going to buy a new HD-DVD ever again. An updater is not a major project, and quite frankly I don't understand the large amount of resistance to it from the devs, if that is indeed who is speaking against it.

ok, i can write a c# .net program that will download the file and install silently...

is anyone interested.

you'll need UAC disabled i think..

i'll look at maybe running it as a service or something and see how that pans out...

still looking for a good way to check the versions (to only do this when a new verson is out)

is there an rss feed from slysoft or anything?

Bless you, that would be better than nothing. I don't know if it's necessary to run it as a separate program, but if it won't be properly rolled into AnyDVD, it's a good work around. I have an anti-virus app and several other freeware programs that update themselves automatically, and they don't require UAC to be disabled.

Maybe if it works, the devs can be dragged kicking and screaming into including it in the AnyDVD package. Considering that AnyDVD is paid software, you should get a cut.

What makes you think that the Slyplayer will only be ggod for HD DVD, at the moment none of the Blu-ray players available play back discs properly, so it will be extremely useful for playing them back. There's probably a lot more people who'd want Slysoft to concentrate on that rather than an auto update feature

Have you ever tried disabling it? The hilarious thing is that when you update AnyDVD, that setting gets reset and it resumes harrassing you again.

Yes, I have disabled it before and it's not hilarious that it resets when a new version is installed. There is a very valid reason why it resets the setting. It takes all of a few mouse clicks to disable it again.

Why does the update check reset? Well, the feature indicates if new versions exist and the reason it is reset is because people love to disable settings like this and then later when they come here with a problem we find out they are about 6 months behind in updating their software. Troubleshooting when the resulting problem comes down to an insanely outdated version of software is a waste of time.

There's probably a lot more people who'd want Slysoft to concentrate on that rather than an auto update feature

Count me as one of the people. I consider an internal auto-updated to be superfluous. Time could be better spent working on more critical issues related to AnyDVD and Slysoft's other projects.

What makes you think that the Slyplayer will only be ggod for HD DVD, at the moment none of the Blu-ray players available play back discs properly, so it will be extremely useful for playing them back. There's probably a lot more people who'd want Slysoft to concentrate on that rather than an auto update feature

I don't think that's factual. I have never had any trouble playing Blu-rays with PowerDVD, as long as AnyDVD HD was running in the background. The reason Sly Player would only be useful for playing HD-DVDs is because the latest version of PowerDVD does not play HD-DVDs. That's pretty much it. Sly Player would be a huge amount of effort only to duplicate functionality that is already available with other software. That makes it a low priority in my mind.

Yes, I have disabled it before and it's not hilarious that it resets when a new version is installed. There is a very valid reason why it resets the setting. It takes all of a few mouse clicks to disable it again.

Why does the update check reset? Well, the feature indicates if new versions exist and the reason it is reset is because people love to disable settings like this and then later when they come here with a problem we find out they are about 6 months behind in updating their software. Troubleshooting when the resulting problem comes down to an insanely outdated version of software is a waste of time.

Then why even bring up the fact that the nag can be disabled? For that matter, why even give users the ability to turn it off? It is apparent that the devs don't want the user to disable it, since it automatically re-enabling itself is considered a feature and not a bug. Also, the problem you described with people having outdated software would be handily solved if the software updated itself. Imagine the support resources that would be saved. An auto update makes everyone's lives easier, on both sides of the wall.

Do you feel that the users somehow owe it to the software makers to do regular manual maintenance tasks?

Yes it is factual, at the moment none of the players play back Blu-ray discs to their full potential, none of them will play back properly, TMT3 has problems that mean you have to take a file from TMT2 to get a clearer picture and each version of PDVD has different problems when it comes to Blu-ray playback. Try reading around before making such sweeping statements, it doesn't take much searching in the forum to find people who have issues with PDVD, such as discs not playing back, incompatible graphics card messages, TrueHD only being seen as 2 channel, audio being downsampled.... just because you haven't noticed doesn't mean the issues aren't there

Then why even bring up the fact that the nag can be disabled? For that matter, why even give users the ability to turn it off? It is apparent that the devs don't want the user to disable it, since it automatically re-enabling itself is considered a feature and not a bug. Also, the problem you described with people having outdated software would be handily solved if the software updated itself. Imagine the support resources that would be saved. An auto update makes everyone's lives easier, on both sides of the wall.

Do you feel that the users somehow owe it to the software makers to do regular manual maintenance tasks?

If I had a choice the option for automatically checking for a new version wouldn't be an option at all. It would always be on. Now, why be able to disable the checking for new versions? There are some people who are very security conscious. The ability to disable the check helps them sleep better. There are also people who have HTPCs that are never connected to the internet so having it attempt to check is of no value. They can simply disable it.

The large amount of people who benefit from AnyDVD simply querying for the existence of a new version versus the few people who have an utter fit about having to disable it every time it resets makes its existence a non-issue. If someone wants to disable it then by all means disable it. Obviously, the developers would prefer people don't.

Bumblebee auto-updates AnyDVD. It's the official solution.

thanks, where can i get a copy?

wish i'd known before would have saved me a few hours coding... :)

thanks, where can i get a copy?

wish i'd known before would have saved me a few hours coding... :)

Bumblebee is available in this thread; it's currently a sticky in this forum.

I tried Bumblebee and, unfortunately, it currently does not automatically update AnyDVD. :(

It does make the update process faster and easier, but the user still has to click to confirm the download and then go through the installer process. It also streamlines the update process for Virtual Clone Drive, which currently lacks any type of update notification.

The auto-update program you created is an ideal solution, because it automatically updates AnyDVD with zero user interaction. This is the functionality I was looking for. Slysoft doesn't allow third-party software to be posted in the forums for fear of Trojans, viruses, etc. I hope the auto-updater finds a home in the future.

And ultimately, I hope that Slysoft adds some type of a true automatic update to their software. In my opinion, HTPCs need to become more like TiVos and other dedicated consumer electronic devices that sit under a TV and less like computers with a mouse and keyboard sitting on a desk.

SilentInstall = REG_DWORD:1 at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SlySoft\Bumblebee

But this still leaves you with the install request (and elevate dialog on Vista). And additional reboot messages. Neither of them I will remove.

I want to revive this. Again, I understand the risks, potential problems, etc. involved. But I still think that the option to enable an automatic update for full releases would be very nice. HTPCs that only serve one function could just be updated without telling anyone they are downloading anything, or confirming, or any kind of notification. Just get us closer to the Kaliedescape type user experience a lot of us are looking for.

I would really like a good auto update feature to be added to AnydvdHD.

Back