• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request: Option for AnyDVD to Auto-Update

TechFarmer

I have 3 HTPCs connected to flat panel TVs. They do not have keyboards attached. About once a week, I have to remote-desktop into each one and download/install the latest version of AnyDVD HD. It would be fantastic if AnyDVD could download and install these updates in the backgroud so that I don't have to go through this repetitive manual process.

I understand this may cause conflicts with some antivirus software. So pop-up a warning message when checking this option box to enable this feature. This will not be a problem for me, because my HTPC are for movie playback and do not have keyboards attached or anti-virus software installed.

I don't want beta software on my HTPCs. I'd be fine if the auto-updated waited 1 week after a new official release is available to auto-update, just to avoide any bugs. But as fast as updates come out, it would probably auto-download any fix before I even knew there was an issue.

I understand this feature isn't for everyone, but it sure would be nice for me if an option were made available.

Thanks for the great software!

I was just about to start a thread requesting this feature!

It's a constant chase to continuously update AnyDVD every couple of days. It seems like just when I get my computers up to date, the little nag balloon pops up again with yet another update.

I love the constant attention that Slysoft is giving to AnyDVD, but it would be really nice if the updates could be automated.

I have 3 HTPCs connected to flat panel TVs. They do not have keyboards attached. About once a week, I have to remote-desktop into each one and download/install the latest version of AnyDVD HD. It would be fantastic if AnyDVD could download and install these updates in the backgroud so that I don't have to go through this repetitive manual process.

I understand this may cause conflicts with some antivirus software. So pop-up a warning message when checking this option box to enable this feature. This will not be a problem for me, because my HTPC are for movie playback and do not have keyboards attached or anti-virus software installed.

I don't want beta software on my HTPCs. I'd be fine if the auto-updated waited 1 week after a new official release is available to auto-update, just to avoide any bugs. But as fast as updates come out, it would probably auto-download any fix before I even knew there was an issue.

I understand this feature isn't for everyone, but it sure would be nice for me if an option were made available.

Thanks for the great software!

I too would like to see this. I have a Windows Home Server running MyMovies software. There is a setting in MyMovies that allows you to always keep AnyDVD updated with the latest version. It handles downloading and installing the new file for you. This would be nice to have this going on my desktop machine as well.

I personally would not like to see this added to keep the complexity of the code to a minimum. Add another feature and yet something else that can break. Just my opinion. Don't take it person.

This has already been asked before. If you use the search function you'll find threads about it and the reasons why it hasn't been implemented (setting off antivirus software etc)

This has already been asked before. If you use the search function you'll find threads about it and the reasons why it hasn't been implemented (setting off antivirus software etc)

Yeah, that's true, but I think the auto-update thing would help if it would only update the BDPHash.bin file, which is the "main engine" for BD decrypting anyway.

Thus my suggestion to pop-up an "antivirus software warning message" if the auto-update option is selected. Not everyone runs antivirus software, especially on dedicated HTPCs.

The MyMovies software can auto-update AnyDVD on Windows Home Server and it works very well. It would be nice if Slysoft could figure out how to do this for the rest of us running it on a desktop.

Yeah, that's true, but I think the auto-update thing would help if it would only update the BDPHash.bin file, which is the "main engine" for BD decrypting anyway.

No it is not, that is for BD+.

No it is not, that is for BD+.
But most of the updates lately have been for BD+. Perhaps you could auto-update that file along with its AACS equivalent, with full updates required if something else has to be changed (i.e., the logfile format--though that's happened on BD+ updates as well--or a feature change).

True, we are still sitting on MKB 12. Prehaps that would be indeed nice feature to have.

Most Anti-Virus software have an option to allow programs to update without causing an issue. If someone is running software that won't allow it, then they can disable the automatic update function.

Those of us that could would most likely be glad to have it auto-update. This includes the betas.

Most Anti-Virus software have an option to allow programs to update without causing an issue. If someone is running software that won't allow it, then they can disable the automatic update function.

Those of us that could would most likely be glad to have it auto-update. This includes the betas.

I agree. As many people as there are using AnyDVD, the antivirus companies will figure out pretty quickly that they are giving false positives and fix thier issues. They should be be ones adapting their software to the what their users want, instead of Slysoft adapting their software to the antivirus companies who don't know there is even a problem.

This was the reply from Chris in Slysoft support back in August 2008

Hi, an auto update with autostart bears the risk of triggering security tools (like virus scanners, firewalls etc.). We receive enough e-mails each update for other reasons, therefore we have refrained from offering such a solution (yet).
I can totally see his point. There's probably more people out there who don't know what they are doing than do, who'll tell it to auto update and then start complaining when AV and firewall software starts going off and then blame Slysoft for it and start hammerring support with emails and need walking through how to set up their AV software.
One answer would then be to post guides for AV settings, but people ignore guides and FAQ's as it's just easier to start a new thread than read them.
Having been on here for the past year or 2 it's amazing how many times the same simple questions come up over and over again and how people completely ignore the FAQ stickies which tend to answer most problems and I doubt this would be any different.

I completely understand that Slysoft's tech support time is important to them. But my time is also important to me. Please don't misunderstand me, I don't mean to be disrespectful. The wants and needs of the customer should be put first.

If there is an issue making this unsuitable for the larger customer population, create a work-around that only the technically-savvy can figure out. For example, include a batch scrip that could be run every night by Windows Scheduled Task to look for a new version and download / install it if available. Or create a "silent install" option (setup.exe -q) to make it easier for someone else to do this and avoid user interaction.

There has to be some better balance between keeping un-informed users from causing themselves problems and helping technically-advanced users with solutions to common issue. A solution that doesn't cause support requests from the uninformed for Slysoft.

I too would like to voice my support for this feature.

I would imagine that the majority of customers keep up to date with the current version. If that is the case, then the bandwidth savings from not serving up the webpage and downloading an installer package should be worth the implementation costs alone.

Thanks for making such an awesome product.

-Alex

I too would like a feature that would allow me to auto update.
I'm confident that I could simply leave the slysoft product to update, and I'm not bothered about virus alerts and the like.

For me this is a larger issue on my MCE machines where access to the backdrop is locked down so it cant be messed with.

I'm also confident that even if slysoft made an error and released a 'dodgy' version by mistake, there would soon be a corrected version released.

I guess I simply want the update process to go away. (although not the updates, obvioulsy)

This was the reply from Chris in Slysoft support back in August 2008

I can totally see his point. There's probably more people out there who don't know what they are doing than do, who'll tell it to auto update and then start complaining when AV and firewall software starts going off and then blame Slysoft for it and start hammerring support with emails and need walking through how to set up their AV software.
One answer would then be to post guides for AV settings, but people ignore guides and FAQ's as it's just easier to start a new thread than read them.
Having been on here for the past year or 2 it's amazing how many times the same simple questions come up over and over again and how people completely ignore the FAQ stickies which tend to answer most problems and I doubt this would be any different.

If this feature is requested so frequently, maybe it's worthy of consideration.

It's not requested by that many though, probably about 20-30 out of the thousands who use the software

It's not requested by that many though, probably about 20-30 out of the thousands who use the software

Can we set up a poll?

I vote yes with an option to turn this feature on or off.

Back