• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 9... start your bashing in 3, 2, 1...

Cyberlink Power DVD 9 - any issues?

Will the new Cyberlink Power DVD 9 Ultra work with current versions of AnyDVD HD?

Any warnings or anysuchlike?

Thanks!

As it's only been released today I doubt anyone knows yet

Did PDVD 7 and PDVD 8 disable WinAero before?

Curious,
BurnerHEAD

Will the new Cyberlink Power DVD 9 Ultra work with current versions of AnyDVD HD?

Any warnings or anysuchlike?

Thanks!
For me it doesn't work at all. With or without AnyDVD. :bang:
(Vista, ATI4850, Catalyst 8.12)

Apparently PDVD 9 integrates directly with MCE. That way I could play blu-ray directly from MCE without dropping out of MCE and into PDVD. If that is true it would be a very welcome addition.

Des anyone know if this is true?

I wonder what is so cool about Windows Media Center and why other software companies care that much about integrating their programs with it.

I tried to configure it once to be able to watch video from the composite input of the TV tuner. It perfectly showed the picture during the setup process, but on the next screen said I could not configure it, because it could not find the remote which is able to switch channels on a device connected to the composite video input!!! I think those funny guys who designed/programmed Windows Media Center, never saw a normal TV in their life! Because if they did, they would know that TVs have a dedicated button on their remotes which allows watching video from composite/component/HDMI etc. inputs, and they don't care about switching channels on whatever is connected to those inputs! Switching channels is only for TV's own tuner! And Microsoft's program misses this basic feature of all TVs!

So, for me Windows Media Center is absolutely useless program which I will never ever use. And, consequently, PowerDVD's integration with it is useless too. I tried several alternative programs which allow watching/recording TV, but finally settled with AVer Media Center which more or less fits my needs and it looks nice too. Unfortunately, it only seems to work with AVer's TV cards.

Last edited:
For me it doesn't work at all. With or without AnyDVD. :bang:
(Vista, ATI4850, Catalyst 8.12)

I love software players. They all give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. :rolleyes:

Especially when graphic driver and software player updates break everything . . .

On a positive note you can still have PowerDVD7 and PowerDVD8 installed and use them after installing PowerDVD9. I have none of the issues that I experienced with the latest PowerDVD8 updates.

PowerDVD9 is PowerDVD 9.0.1501.0 however if you look at the details it is DVD Version 8.1.5207.71.

The UI is better. I haven't had a chance to test much other than mounting a protected image of a BD and it worked perfectly. I won't be able to do too much until I get some other stuff dealt with.

My First Impressions (regarding the Audio part):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=15951992&postcount=12

Setup: Vista 32, ATI 4870 - Catalyst 9.2, Realtek 2.13 for ATI, HDMI Connection with a Pioneer SC-LX 90 Susano receiver and 7.1 speakers.

I noticed also that the ‘’Show Info’’ now has more info regarding audio:

Actually it reports the original Audio Stream (ex DTS Master Audio 5.1 – Bitrate …) but also the ‘Output Stream’ which now seems not to be limited at 16/48 but at 24/48!

I tried an LPCM 24/96 track and the output stream was 24/48.

With a 16/48 track the output stream ‘remains’ 16/48 (so it seems that no ‘default upsampling’ is taking place also).

My main problem is that when setting powerdvd to decode multichannel audio streams to LPCM I am getting sound only from my 2 Front speakers!

Actually the output is not the stereo stream but it rather sounds like a ‘crazy’ mix of the original stream (ex. dialogues are coming only from the Front Right speaker).

With the same settings / drivers etc both PDVD 7 and 8 play fine (of course with the well known restrictions) all multi channel streams.

When checking speaker mapping from Vista everything is OK.

My receiver has 8 LEDs each one lighting up when the corresponding input channel is active and all of them light up when PDVD starts.

I also noticed that now, under Audio Settings, there is only the ‘USE HDMI’ option and not the options for ‘2-8 speakers’ (which were available in PDVD 7-8 versions and worked the same way as the ‘Use HDMI’ option in PDVD 8 (solving also btw the Rear – Side speaker mounting problems – totally different situation compared to the current one)).

I also noticed that, during playback, the Info tab shows my Sound Card ‘Realtek HDMI Multichannel Output’ but the status is ‘Not in Use’.

I re-checked / re-installed everything (also set Speaker config through Vista at 5.1) and I can only assume that the guys at Cyberlink worked their magic for one more time.

Anyone else with the same setup (ATI 5-7.1 LPCM) / problem? Any ideas?

Just installed pdvd9.

It seems reclock doesn't work on it. I try some different method to access to pdvd9 but simply it doesn't start.

The first BD I try to use is Daredevil italian. Anydvd hd work, but if I try to use "Disable BD Live" pdvd tell me that the digital sign is invalid, ask me if i want to continue and then freeze.

On this page: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/movie-playback/powerdvd/features_en_US.html

if you scroll to the very bottom, it says:

Supported Audio Formats

DTS-HD* (7.1 channels)
DTS-HD (5.1 channels)
DTS-ES*
DTS Neo:6*
Dolby TrueHD (7.1-channel)
Dolby Digital EX (7.1-channel)
Dolby Digital Plus (7.1-channel)

* Only available via Advanced Audio Pack

Does it mean they are going to charge extra money for DTS-HD 7.1? Even those people who paid $100 for Ultra version?

Can someone please test a Blu-ray disc with DTS HD MA 7.1 track to see if it downsamples it to 5.1?

And how was it in PDVD 7 and 8? I think it didn't downsample anything in latest versions of these programs, though I'm not sure.

EDIT: you can use blu-raystats.com site to get the list of all discs with DTS-MA 7.1 audio, then just look through the list to find ones you have.

EDIT 2: PDVD 7.3.4617a says "DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1" on such discs (e.g. "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian") when I activate "Show Information".

Last edited:
Just installed pdvd9.

It seems reclock doesn't work on it. I try some different method to access to pdvd9 but simply it doesn't start.

The first BD I try to use is Daredevil italian. Anydvd hd work, but if I try to use "Disable BD Live" pdvd tell me that the digital sign is invalid, ask me if i want to continue and then freeze.

I just tested with another BD-Live disc. Yes, it throws up the message you mentioned. I clicked on No and then it merrily went on to play the disc.

This seems to be more of a warning message that the content may be unsafe from reading the message.

Here's the message box for others to see:

attachment.php

Attachments

• BD-J.jpg
    BD-J.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 155
Just try with another bd live disk, IronMan italian. The message is shown, but after press "no" the playback start. Probably the first freeze is a isolated problem of daredevil. Not really a big problem...

On this page: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/movie-playback/powerdvd/features_en_US.html

if you scroll to the very bottom, it says:

Does it mean they are going to charge extra money for DTS-HD 7.1? Even those people who paid $100 for Ultra version?

Can someone please test a Blu-ray disc with DTS HD MA 7.1 track to see if it downsamples it to 5.1?

And how was it in PDVD 7 and 8? I think it didn't downsample anything in latest versions of these programs, though I'm not sure.

EDIT: you can use blu-raystats.com site to get the list of all discs with DTS-MA 7.1 audio, then just look through the list to find ones you have.

EDIT 2: PDVD 7.3.4617a says "DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1" on such discs (e.g. "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian") when I activate "Show Information".

It only plays 5.1 channels though, I tested with Saw IV which has a 7.1 track. No audio from rear speakers. Looks like we are going to have to pay extra for a function we already have in PDVD8 and PDVD7. I am still awaiting support confirming if this is still the HD track or the DTS core. It doesn't sound like it but would not suprise me.

Ok first impression people. I have questions. :) I'm truly dead set against giving those jerks more money, BUT, a couple things intrigue me about PDVD 9. So I'd appreciate some impressions on these topics as you might persuade me to give these morons one more chance. (Look, I felt 8 was the worst money I've ever spent. All the promises of bitstreaming audio were broken and functionality was removed. What was the point of 8?)

First, the sound. I'm hearing sound is vastly improved? No down sampling on HDMI 7.1 LCPM through an ATI card, perhaps? This has my interest. So my question here is...how does the sound quality compare to TMT? I'll assume that the reclock issue will eventually get worked out. Anyway, I want to know on the same setup going to the same receiver, etc how PDVD 9 audio compares to TMT with the same movie. Something like Dark Knight would be a good test of what I'm looking for.

Second, and this is the bigger one to me, upscaling dvd's. Ok, NOW you have my interest. Currently none of the software players upscale. It can be done, but, not with PDVD or TMT and really, those are the only ones I care about at this point in time. TMT is supposedly getting upscaling at some ponit. However, they've also been working on stabilizing the product for months now and that effort is largely unrealized. So, if PDVD can do decent upscaling, that'd be a reason to throw money at them.

I refuse to pay for something that removes functionality and generally breaks every time they touch it. But I AM willing to pay for improvements.

It only plays 5.1 channels though, I tested with Saw IV which has a 7.1 track. No audio from rear speakers. Looks like we are going to have to pay extra for a function we already have in PDVD8 and PDVD7. I am still awaiting support confirming if this is still the HD track or the DTS core. It doesn't sound like it but would not suprise me.

You've GOT to be kidding me. What is wrong with them? Can they just not help themselves? I was actually contemplating the idea of them doing upscaling of DVD's and better audio support and maybe thinking about an upgrade. However, THIS certainly puts a big check in the NEGATIVE column...

As mentioned on avs:

It makes sense.

Most likely it is dts core.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 and concluded that DTS HD MA 7.1 decoding was broken and probably we where still being served good old DTS core.

It seems that now they are actually admitting the problem by removing DTS HD 7.1 from the specs.

So with PDVD 7 or 8 you have souund from all 7 speakers, right?

Alright, because I try to help as many people as possible on the forums, I broke down and bought this damn thing. I can't promise I'm going to use it as my main player, but, at least now if people are running into problems I can check it with this thing on my own setup. (And let's face it, I hate 8 with a passion so this HAS to be better than 8...right? chirp chirp chirp :D) I'm installing it on my HTPC right now. We'll see how it goes. Personally I still like TMT, but, I know a lot of users prefer PowerDVD or can't get TMT to work so I want to be able to assist.

Back