• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

GameJackal v3.1.2.2 release

FYI, games which once had working profiles and have stopped working since I updated include:

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Far Cry
Tribes: Vengeance
Alice
Painkiller
Mafia
Vietcong
Deus Ex - Invisible War
Aliens vs Predator 2
SWAT 4 - The Stetchkov Syndicate expansion
Thief - Deadly Shadows
Rome - Total War

The failures are mainly of the "please insert CD" or "conflict detected" variety (which were circumvented by older Game Jackals).

What did you upgrade from? And do they work if you re-profile?

What are the procedures for upgrading to GameJackel? I have all the other program packs.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

What did you upgrade from?
I've been using Game Jackal for about a couple of years. The profiles were made with various earlier versions.

And do they work if you re-profile?
Variable. Max Payne and I-War 2 had stopped working too, but I updated their profiles and they worked. Chronicles of Riddick still doesn't work after updating its profile. I haven't tested the rest.

I've tried running the remainder of my profiles, and here's a full list of my once-working and now-failing profiles, along with the type of failure.

Some of them actually crash on start-up now (i.e. I get a Windows error dialog saying "foo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.... Please tell Microsoft about this problem... Send error report..."). I've tested all but one of those cases with the CD in the drive (not running them through game jackal), and they work fine. My Startopia disc eludes me.

Alice (insert disc)
Aliens vs Predator 2 (doesn't start; no error)
Baldur's Gate (insert disc)
Baldur's Gate 2 (insert disc)
Black & White (crash; tested OK with CD)
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (insert original disc instead of backup)
Deus Ex - Invisible War (conflict detected)
Far Cry (insert disc)
IL-2 Sturmovik Complete (insert disc)
Jane's Attack Squadron (insert disc)
Leadfoot (insert disc)
Mafia (crash; tested OK with CD)
No One Lives Forever 2 (doesn't start; no error)
Operation Flashpoint (crash; tested OK with CD)
Painkiller (insert disc)
Project EDEN (insert disc)
Rome - Total War (insert disc)
SWAT 3 (insert disc)
SWAT 4 - The Stetchkov Syndicate expansion (doesn't start; no error)
Startopia (crash; not tested with CD)
Thief - Deadly Shadows (insert original disc instead of backup)
Tribes: Vengeance (insert original disc instead of backup)
Vietcong (conflict detected)

I know that you guys need detailed information in general to help, but there's a real problem here when so many profiles stop working over time, and it's quite discouraging thinking that even if we go to the trouble of posting the information you need, it might break again in a future update.

There comes a point when it occurs that downloading a No CD crack would be preferable to going through the profiling and re-profiling hassle, because I know that the crack will always work (which is naturally what I'm looking for from a 'No CD' solution).

I'm extremely happy to spend time providing information if I know that it will result in a profile that will work permanently.

I'm pretty unenthusiastic about spending that time if I know that the profile might easily stop working when I update game jackal.

I had posted this as an initial response:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=24287

If an approach like that is possible with Game Jackal, I hope you guys will seriously consider it, as it would prevent all failures of this sort.

We know up front that Game Jackal doesn't support all games; so if we create a new profile and it doesn't work, that's okay. We get that, and we're prepared for possible failure at that point of the procedings. But once we've created a profile and it consistently works, I think it is disasterous P.R. for your product if that profile stops working in the future.

It's annoying enough for me when I have all the discs nearby (except for Startopia, which seems worth mentioning again at this point), but consider people gaming on their laptop away from home, or who have left their CDs in storage/with parents/whatever on moving, because everything was working fine.

Right now, I couldn't recommend Game Jackal to anyone as a sufficiently reliable solution. Which is a huge shame, because it's basically awesome.

Fix the upgrade issue, and I'll sing its praises again.

When we release each new version of GJ we test to ensure the update does not break profiles from a previous release. However some users will experience issues at times. The problem for us is that to move forward and support newer games, we need to modify things... and (as I just said) we do our best to maintain compatibility with each release. Now when GJ went from v2 to v3 there was a major change to the architecture that could have caused some problems, but for GJ to support Tages this was a necessary change.

I've been using Game Jackal for about a couple of years. The profiles were made with various earlier versions.
Can you offer any insight into the previous versions?
Variable. Max Payne and I-War 2 had stopped working too, but I updated their profiles and they worked. Chronicles of Riddick still doesn't work after updating its profile. I haven't tested the rest.
Can you try re-profiling, not updating.

The problem for us is that to move forward and support newer games, we need to modify things... and (as I just said) we do our best to maintain compatibility with each release.
Which is exactly my point.

You work hard at backwards compatibility (and I genuinely do appreciate that), but the problem is too big. No matter how much testing you do, you will continue to inadvertently break profiles that would have continued to work, had the user not upgraded game jackal.

That is why I think that any profile tagged as 'working' needs to be processed by the version of game jackal that the user was running at that time they tagged it.

It would be so much better for your end-users, and never again would you have to suggest things like this:

Can you try re-profiling, not updating.
I'll try re-profiling a couple of titles and let you know how it goes. Obviously I'm happy if it works as a short-term work-around, but you shouldn't ever have to suggest it.

(Okay, I'll try to leave that topic alone for a bit now!)

Can you offer any insight into the previous versions?
Somewhat. These are the installers I have archived, but I may have used others as well.

Game Jackal Retail (v2.8.17.495).exe
SetupGameJackal3006.exe
SetupGameJackal3013.exe
SetupGameJackal3015.exe
SetupGameJackal3016a.exe
SetupGameJackal3112.exe
SetupGameJackal3114.exe
SetupGameJackal3120.exe
SetupGameJackal3122.exe

Back