• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip to Image with AnyDVD vs. using ImgBurn -- any difference?

Stiltz

Is there any difference between using AnyDVD to rip to image versus ripping to Video TS and then using IMG Burn to create the ISO file?

Thanks

Is there any difference between using AnyDVD to rip to image versus ripping to Video TS and then using IMG Burn to create the ISO file?

Thanks

Yes. "Rip to video dvd" is better when using dvds containing structural protection. "Rip to image" was implemented primarily for Blu-ray and HD-DVD users, since those discs don't contain structural protection.

I'm using it mainly for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD backups.
So if I'm converting to ISO in the end does it just make sense to rip it to iso directly from AnyDVD HD or should I rip to Video TS and then use IMG Burn? (ie. is the end product identical whether I use AnyDVD HD or IMG Burn?)

Thanks again

Yes.. for Blu-Ray and HD sure. Not SD-DVD's which is what this forum is all about.
The HD forum is down the hall a few forums - check the index. :)

-W

Yes.. for Blu-Ray and HD sure. Not SD-DVD's which is what this forum is all about.
The HD forum is down the hall a few forums - check the index. :)

-W

I moved the post. It was originally in the AnyDVD HD forum. However, given that the OP mentioned the VIDEO_TS folder I moved it to the AnyDVD forum, instead, since SD DVDs were being discussed.

the result is not exactly identical. afaik imgburn directly copies the disk content so the original file system is maintained. in contrast anddvd generates a new file system.

the result is not exactly identical. afaik imgburn directly copies the disk content so the original file system is maintained. in contrast anddvd generates a new file system.

"rip to image" does not generate a new file system

So if the overall goal is to get a get an unmolested iso file is it better to solely use AnyDVD HD or should I convert to folder structure first then use IMG Burn?
Thanks

Wrong.

alright. but there must be a difference as you say the ripper is more suited for dvd's with structural protection. that's why i thought there must be any kind of alteration when using the ripper instead of imgburn.

maybe there was a misunderstanding. i also thought the "rip to image" function does the same as "rip to video dvd" but instead of storing the files on the hdd it puts them into an image. but that's obviously wrong now.

Last edited:
alright. but there must be a difference as you say the ripper is more suited for dvd's with structural protection. that's why i thought there must be any kind of alteration when using the ripper instead of imgburn.

maybe there was a misunderstanding. i also thought the "rip to image" function does the same as "rip to video dvd" but instead of storing the files on the hdd it puts them into an image. but that's obviously wrong now.

The only thing similar is that both result in the files being on the HDD. Rip to Harddisk... is akin to doing a full-disc rip with CloneDVD. It remasters and such when necessary in removing garbage. Rip to Image... is more akin to a CloneCD rip but I'm not sure how similar the results are and they aren't as clean as Rip to Harddisk... due to the special stuff that takes place isn't being done.

Personally, I wish, if it were possible, that James would add a check into the usage of Rip to Image... so that it couldn't be used on SD DVDs and that a pop-up window would say it's purpose is for HD/BD discs.

And, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected and rightly so. :)

Though i do make an ISO of DVD's every now and then so if it does the same thing for BD and DVD as far as making an ISO of the disk there is no reason to take it out. That would mean I would need to use IMGBurn to make DVD ISO images and it is nice just using Slysoft stuff (AnyDVD HD and VirtualCloneDrive) for playing ISO images.

So if the overall goal is to get a get an unmolested iso file is it better to solely use AnyDVD HD or should I convert to folder structure first then use IMG Burn?
Thanks

1) For standard definition dvds, it's better to use "rip video dvd to harddisk". If you want to create an .iso (for some unknown reason), then use a third party product to do so after using "rip video dvd to harddisk". Or if you want to do everything in one step, just use Clonedvd to create the .iso with Anydvd running in the background.

2) For Blu-ray and HD-DVDs, there is no functional difference between using "rip to image" or using imgburn with Anydvd running in the background--except that Anydvd produces an extra .dvd file containing text info that may be useful when using Virtual Clonedrive. Also, it's possible that imgburn rips faster or vice versa; I have no idea.

1) For standard definition dvds, it's better to use "rip video dvd to harddisk".
Arguable. ;) The "rip to image" function is the way to go to get as close to the original as possible (including filesystem flaws, original layer break location).
But I agree, *usually* "rip Video DVD to Harddisk" is the better choice.

And the best choice is to use .... CloneDVD to rip. :D

And the best choice is to use .... CloneDVD to rip. :D

Yeah, especially for .iso creation with standard dvds, I think there's a fairly big advantage to using Clonedvd, since with Clonedvd .iso creation is done automatically.

What do you guys mean by structural protection?

If I rip it to video files with AnyDVD, how does Imgburn reconstruct the files into an ISO and ensure a 1:1 copy for the video files? Basically I want to reproduce a DVD 1:1 minus the copy protection. What's the difference with using DVD Decrypter as a front end configured to work in conjunction with AnyDVD?

Structural Protection is when the movie doods actually screw with the "dos" file structure of the DVD to make it unreadable by conventional means.

When it's done scanning AnyDVD reports "found and removed structural..." if there is any of that crap going on.

-W

Once the files are ripped to the HD using AnyDVD open ImgBurn and go to Read Mode. It will then read and files and save the files as an .iso wherever you tell it to. You then go to Write Mode to burn those files to DVD

Rip to Image... was originally created for HD-DVDs and BDs and not SD DVDs. As such since there is no such thing as structural protections on HD-DVDs or BDs then when Rip to Image... is used you end up with output that couldn't exactly be considered fully sanitized. It hasn't been remastered and cleaned up as much as it could be because that feature wasn't create for SD DVDs.

To illustrate my point do me a favor and grab an X-Protect disc from New Line. Grab something like Blade: House of Chthon. View the disc in Windows Explorer. Check out the directory listing on the disc and check out the reported disc size. Now, rip the disc to your HDD using Rip to Image.... The ISO will be within the normal DVD DL size limits. Now mount the ISO and view it with Windows Explorer. Check the directory listings and check the reported disc size. Also check out the status window in AnyDVD

Now rip the same disc to your HDD using Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... and create an ISO using ImgBurn from those files. Mount the ISO and view the directory listing and the reported disc size. Also view the status window in AnyDVD.

The differences in the two methods are the reason why I say to not use Rip to Image... on SD DVDs and especially in cases where structural protections are used.

Back