• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How do I allow the native resolution of a DVD to pass through in CloneDVD mobile?

shmooty1

I'm copying multiple titles to my computer, over 200 so far, without problem. I want then end result in WMV version 9, so after trial and error I am using the NTSC SVCD profile to create the initial mpeg file, and then I'm using the Microsoft WMV version 9 Encoder, to re-encode the file in WMV version 9. This works perfectly, though it takes a about 3 hours to complete the process per DVD. But that's not the issue.

What I want to do is allow the native resolution of the DVD to come through in CloneDVDMobile so that the mpeg file is encoded in whatever the best resolution is that's possible for that DVD. I read through the forums and discovered that I could add the line AllowNativeTVResolution=1 to the profile to accomplish what I want. What I'm finding, however, is that every DVD comes up as (NTSC) 720x480, and that the only resolution choices I have are 480x272 and (NTSC) 720x480. I've been using the second one (NTSC) 720x480 for all my DVD's.

This is fine for 16:9 DVD's, but on 4:3 DVD's the end result is in the wrong aspect ratio. I can fix this when I play the video by adjusting the aspect ratio on my TV, but I'd like to find out if it's possible to pass through the native resolution and aspect ratio of each DVD. Also, I find it hard to accept that every DVD is in the 720X480 resolution natively, yet that's how they all come up. The full profile I'm using is below.

Plus if anyone has any suggestions for how I can optimize the below profile for speed or output quality, please say so. Thank you.

[NTSC SVCD]
Manufacturer=VCD
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
Res1=480x480
ResAna1=480x270
NTSCFrameRate1=29.97
NTSCFrameRateDeinterlace1=29.97
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=18:vrc_buf_size=10000:vrc_minrate=3500:vbitrate=3500:vrc_maxrate=3500:acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -x264encopts threads=1
moac=lavc
mopts=-srate 44100 -af lavcresample=44100
Format=mpeg
FileType=mpg
ARate=44100
ABRate=384
MVolume=10
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=5000

Last edited:
What I want to do is allow the native resolution of the DVD to come through in CloneDVDMobile so that the mpeg file is encoded in whatever the best resolution is that's possible for that DVD.

Why not just use the "vob file (passthrough)" profile. Then change the extension name from ".vob to ".mpg". The end result will be 100% identical ("the best resolution... possible") to what is on the DVD. And it is also the fastest option available.

Doesn't Work

I tried your suggestion the first time I burned my DVD's, and didn't realize that it didn't work well until I had a few hundred. The problem is that the mpg file the passthrough profile creates doesn't include in it the header information so that Microsoft Windows Media Encoder can read the file correctly and convert it to WMV version 9, which is the format I need. I went through this at great length with slysoft tech support, but they were unable to correct the problem, and so after a great deal of trial and error I ended up finding the SVCD profile which does convert from mpg to wmv correctly. Any other suggestions?

I tried your suggestion the first time I burned my DVD's, and didn't realize that it didn't work well until I had a few hundred. The problem is that the mpg file the passthrough profile creates doesn't include in it the header information so that Microsoft Windows Media Encoder can read the file correctly and convert it to WMV version 9, which is the format I need. I went through this at great length with slysoft tech support, but they were unable to correct the problem, and so after a great deal of trial and error I ended up finding the SVCD profile which does convert from mpg to wmv correctly. Any other suggestions?

OK... after reading your original post again, I see that your goal is to have WMV 9 files. I took this statement - "I want to do is allow the native resolution of the DVD to come through in CloneDVDMobile so that the mpeg file is encoded in whatever the best resolution is that's possible for that DVD." to mean that you were willing to have any mpeg format. My suggestion will give you the best quality (no added compression) in an mpeg2 format.

Anyway, hopefully someone will chime in and help you out.

Until then, you also said "I find it hard to accept that every DVD is in the 720X480 resolution natively, yet that's how they all come up."

It's true. As I understand it, DVDs are 720x480 in both 4:3 or 16:9. However, it gets resized by the player based on the Display Aspect Ratio (DAR). 720x480 is squeezed to be displayed as 640x480 (4:3) or stretched to ~854x480 (16x9) on square pixel displays or is upscaled from there to the TV resolution.

I recently discovered this myself. Having this understanding, I think it might be best to use 640x480 for your DVDs in 4:3 and use the option that is closest to 854x480 for your 16:9 DVDs. If someone can give some clarification on this that would be great.

Last edited:
MPEG-2 Pass-Through and Re-Encoding Profiles

Hi.

Here are two profiles that might help. They have only been tested with CloneDVD mobile version 1.2.0.1, yet.

The first profile "Generic MPEG-2 Pass-Through" allows you to copy the DVDs' original MPEG-2 streams without re-encoding it, thus providing better video quality and faster processing.

Disadvantage of the pass-through profile is that it does not allow de-interlacing, re-scaling or subtitles. 16:9 widescreen DVDs will most likely contain anamorphic video material, so if your WMV9 encoder does not take care about the aspect ratio, the result will appear stretched.

The second profile "Generic MPEG-2 Re-Encode" will re-encode the MPEG-2 video stream, thus allowing de-interlacing, subtitles and proportional rescaling of anamorphic widescreen video material. Please choose resolution "720x404" or "852x480" for 16:9 widescreen DVDs.

Code:
[* Generic MPEG-2 Pass-Through]
moac=mp3lame
movc=copy
mopts=-audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts cbr:br=%abrate%
Format=mpeg
FileType=mpg
ARate=48000
ABRate=192
MVolume=10
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1

[* Generic MPEG-2 Re-Encode]
ResAna1=720x404
ResAna2=852x480
moac=lavc
movc=lavc
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=18:vstrict=0:acodec=libmp3lame:abitrate=192
Format=mpeg
FileType=mpg
ARate=48000
ABRate=192
MaxVBitrate=9800
MVolume=10
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1

Greetings,
Joe

Joe, those profiles where working great 1.2.0.1, I use win vista 32 bit. And i made the mistake of updating. Now I am using 1.6.1.0 and it crashes each time.

It said invalided command and gave an ffmepg error and list details.
What can I do? Right after that I system restore and was back to the old one. Should I stay with the old one or is there an update?

Update:
I did it again to get the exact error as follows:(for the mpeg2 re-encode)

Creation of DVD files was not successful:

File 2 "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneDVDmobile\apps\mencoder.exe" - -af volume=0 -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=18:vstrict=0:acodec=libmp3lame:abitrate=192:vbitrate=9720:abitrate=192:threads=2:vpass=1 -vf scale=720:480,harddup -aspect 1.333333 -info name="dvbh6ASL_V12" -ofps 24000/1001 -o "C:\Users\Main\Desktop\psalm 83 18.mpg" -passlogfile "C:/Users/Main/Desktop/mencmpass4252.log" 109 TCE

Encoder output:

FFmpeg version from svn, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.

NOTICE: This app contains changes made by SlySoft Inc. in compliance with GPL.
All changes are available as patches from http://oss.slysoft.com

This file was digitally signed by SlySoft Inc.

FFmpeg maintainers receive SlySoft products free of charge. If you're
interested then please contact us at support@slysoft.com

pipe:: Unknown format

An encoding error has occurred

(And now the pass-through)

File 2 "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneDVDmobile\apps\mencoder.exe" - -af volume=0 -of mpeg -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -lameopts cbr:br=192 -vf pp=fd,scale=720:480,harddup -aspect 1.333333 -info name="dvbh6ASL_V12" -ofps 30000/1001 -o "C:\Users\Main\Desktop\psalm 83 18.mpg" -passlogfile "C:/Users/Main/Desktop/mencmpass4252.log" 109 TCE

Encoder output:

ERROR: Unexpected parameter for stage file (pass log file)..

Hope that helps.
Micah

Last edited:
Joe, those profiles where working great 1.2.0.1, I use win vista 32 bit. And i made the mistake of updating. Now I am using 1.6.1.0 and it crashes each time.
pipe:: Unknown format
Micah
Read the 1.6.1.0 sticky thread. Apply the mobilefix.exe patch (the second one listed). If that still doesn't work, revert to 1.2 as suggested by Slysoft support (1.2 version is also linked several times in that thread).

Back