• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-ray over Network

jmedicis

With the fantastic help of Slysoft I have been re-coding DVDs with NERO Recode and playing them over my network using a D-Link DSM-520 and a Helios X5000. Now that Blu-Ray has been cracked is there a way to "Re-Code" a Blu-Ray DVD or is there any other way to play it over my home network ?? Thx J.M.

With the fantastic help of Slysoft I have been re-coding DVDs with NERO Recode and playing them over my network using a D-Link DSM-520 and a Helios X5000. Now that Blu-Ray has been cracked is there a way to "Re-Code" a Blu-Ray DVD or is there any other way to play it over my home network ?? Thx J.M.

I use simple file sharing to stream my backups wirelessly. Basically, I set up a shared drive to store the movie files and all the player, processing, software is on the client PC (PowerDVD, AnyDVD, etc).

There are no issues that I can see. Daemon Tools just released an update that took care of an issue where ISOs over networked folders had issues playing. I think that was the stuttering problem that I was experiencing on some Blu Rays.

Other than that, this is the method that I would recommend as its the easiest in my opinon and doesn't require any sort of encoding. Of course, the client pc has to be able to understand SMB (file sharing protocol in vista) and you have to be able to get your player software loaded onto the client.

If you can manage those two, then just buy or build a big fat NAS and you are set.

I played my ripped dvds over my lan to my pioneer BD-95 player. it supports
Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9)1
– MP@HL
• Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9) Advanced Profile (VC-1)
– AP@L3
• MPEG-2 (PS/TS) this would be the converted BD, I think .mt2s to.ts???
– MP@HL
• MPEG-1

So I have to think streaming BD that has been ripped can be streamed. Might have to have plenty of ram as a buffer and a good cpu. I haven't read of anyone doing it, but idf i can stream these others, I bet can I can stream BD. I am ordering a burner today, so I'll check back for some help myself.

mike

Yea,
I can play BluRay and HD-DVDs over my network fine, I had stuttering over wireless so ran a GigaE cable and get around 70Mb/s, no more stuttering.

Sam

I have no problems, then again I am a network engineer. I have a gigbit router dir-655, and 2x gigabit switches netgear 608s. I share my drives on my server, and also have nero home server. I choose to share the drives at this moment. Then I use meedios to organize my collection and play my movies. It is by far the nicest way I have found. Meedios, is not something you just drop on and it works. It does take some time to learn how to set up and go. The keys are what you choose to list out your movie collection, and how to play the movies. Since i choose to keep my movies in ISO format, I use the playmee plugin and mount the movie, then play the movie, and then it unmounts the movie after you are done. There are many other plugins, but you can pick and choose what you want. I love the fact I can choose a movie based on Genre, Actor/actress, what the movie trailer if a guest does not know what the movie is about, or even read about movie facts.

Just some thoughts about my home network.

I have all of my ripped DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs stored on an unRAID server. I have a gigabit LAN with several Netgear 608 switches to distribute the files to any PC in my house, although I mainly use it to stream movies to my HTPC. I have the drives in the unRAID server set up for sharing folders with the same name. For example, I have about 3TB of storage spanning six drives. I have one drive with a folder for DVDs and every other drive has a folder labeled HD.DVDs. I can map to the HD.DVD folder and it lists every HD movie on every drive in a single folder on my HTPC. I simply view the desired movie on my HTPC using the appropriate playback app (TheaterTek DVD, ZoomPlayer, PowerDVD Ultra, or Nero Showtime 4) and it's just like playing back the original disc in a standalone player. I use ffdshow for standard DVD playback for the ultimate in playback quality. The results simply put my $2000 Marantz flagship universal player to shame, and it's no slouch when it comes to high-end hardware.

So...are you streaming these from the HTPC to your TV? I have been streaming from my media server to my Pioneer BD-95FD player's Media Gallery. I suppose there might be a better way? I am not having to use any of these programs to "play" the video at pc level and then stream. Is this what you are doing? I am new at all this and am trying to get all perspectives

thanks

mike

PS: your setup sounds great

I have all of my ripped DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs stored on an unRAID server. I have a gigabit LAN with several Netgear 608 switches to distribute the files to any PC in my house, although I mainly use it to stream movies to my HTPC. I have the drives in the unRAID server set up for sharing folders with the same name. For example, I have about 3TB of storage spanning six drives. I have one drive with a folder for DVDs and every other drive has a folder labeled HD.DVDs. I can map to the HD.DVD folder and it lists every HD movie on every drive in a single folder on my HTPC. I simply view the desired movie on my HTPC using the appropriate playback app (TheaterTek DVD, ZoomPlayer, PowerDVD Ultra, or Nero Showtime 4) and it's just like playing back the original disc in a standalone player. I use ffdshow for standard DVD playback for the ultimate in playback quality. The results simply put my $2000 Marantz flagship universal player to shame, and it's no slouch when it comes to high-end hardware.

I'm fairly new at this so my orriginal question may have been a bit vague. With the help of AnyDVD I am using NERO Recode to save a single MPEG-4 video file on my Media Server. I have a Gigabit Lan through my home and my daughters home next door. The Media servier is running D-Link's server software which allows me to stream the MPEG file to several D-Link DSM-520 media players that connect directly to HDTVs via HDMI cables. I also have 1 Helios X5000 connect the same way to my tv. The D-Link and Helios devices are not PC based so no option to load any kind of software on them. I am now trying to figure out a way to do the same thing with a Blu-Ray disk.

I'm fairly new at this so my orriginal question may have been a bit vague. With the help of AnyDVD I am using NERO Recode to save a single MPEG-4 video file on my Media Server. I have a Gigabit Lan through my home and my daughters home next door. The Media servier is running D-Link's server software which allows me to stream the MPEG file to several D-Link DSM-520 media players that connect directly to HDTVs via HDMI cables. I also have 1 Helios X5000 connect the same way to my tv. The D-Link and Helios devices are not PC based so no option to load any kind of software on them. I am now trying to figure out a way to do the same thing with a Blu-Ray disk.

With the two media streamers you have, you might be able to stream blu ray titles that use the mpeg2 codec, but probably not those that use VC-1 or AVC codecs. I use my PS3 to stream AVC and MPEG2 titles, and use my Tvix 6500 to stream VC-1 titles. The Tvix can handle pretty much all titles with just a few exceptions (blu ray titles that files need to be joined in order to have the complete movie file). Those are the basics- see mpcclub for more info.

Yea,
I can play BluRay and HD-DVDs over my network fine, I had stuttering over wireless so ran a GigaE cable and get around 70Mb/s, no more stuttering.

Sam

That's exactly what I did, it solved many issues. I also updated to the latest version of DaemonTools because (as mentioned above) I also had stuttering which the new version fixed. :)

I have blu-ray drive on a media pc in main room and 17" laptop I use to watch in bedroom (no physical blu ray drive attached). The laptop can handle full playing of blu-ray across network from AnyDVD HD iso backup. I rent all my blu-ray films so would really love to place disk in drive in media pc & watch over the network without perfoming a intermediate rip to hard disk (just for convienence sake). Is this possible? Tried sharing the blu-ray drive across network as a SMB share with AnyDVD HD installed on both machines but no joy!

I convert all my BRs to single m2ts files. All are stored on a Netgear Readynas. I used Twonkymedia Server Plugin on the nas for for streaming in the beginning. Now I am experimenting with LLINK installed on my readynas, so I can use YAMJ as a Jukebox front-end. I stream to a Popcorn Hour a-100 and an IstarHD Mini over GB network. I have successfully streamed BRs to both players simultaneously. Works Great.

That's exactly what I did, it solved many issues. I also updated to the latest version of DaemonTools because (as mentioned above) I also had stuttering which the new version fixed. :)

What gigabit switch/router are you using?

Back