• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem playing ripped Digital Video Essentials

erikt

Hi,

I ripped the HD-DVD version of Digital Video Essentials-HD to my hard drive using AnyDVD HD 6.1.7.0 and tried to play it back using PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 with all of the latest patches. No errors were reported during the rip, but the menus are non-functional (see bottom of post) when trying to play it back. I tried to play it back directly from the disc with AnyDVD disabled and it worked fine. Here's the list:

1. 6.1.7.0, yes
2. Check
3. a) Digital Video Essentials-HD, b) N/A, c) US, d) not sure, some time in 2007
4. Xbox360 HD DVD drive, Windows XP SP2 (also tried playback on a Vista machine)
Code:
Summary for drive I: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.0)
TOSHIBA DVD/HDX807616 MC08 10/03/06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a HD DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 1
Total size: 4958720 sectors (9685 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: HDDVD_VIDEO_ESSENTIALS
Media is AACS protected!
Removed AACS copy protection!
6. No error message.
7. done, nothing turned up for "digital video essentials"

OK, what I mean by non-functional is this. This disc has a top-level menu (Video Tests, Audio Tests) which works fine. Choosing either of these brings up a scroll list (looks like a scene chooser), however all of the selections are set to "play all", and choosing any of these has no effect. Also, the back button is missing.

erikt

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, no one has managed to get this working. I wasn't even aware of anyone getting an original to work on a PC

That made me curious.
I have not tried my DVE for a while, as the menu system never really worked. I will try again with my latest PowerDVD version.

Edit:
Ok, I checked again. Nothing has changed since the time when DVE came out. PowerDVD still can not play the menu properly. Test patterns can only be used by using the "go to chapter" function.

Last edited:
Playing it directly from the disc works fine for me, I only have a problem if AnyDVD is running, or if I try to play a copy ripped to my HDD.

Are you using the latest PowerDVD patch? The last one was issued on August 6th.

erikt

I give it up. Tried again without AnyDVD and bloody PowerDVD was missing a HDCP connection. I do not understand why, as ATI 1950Pro and my Benq PE7700 support HDCP.

I will just accept, that my DVE will not run properly or at all. I am too pissed about that situation, I will stop experimenting.
Sorry, I can be no help here

Edit: PowerDVD version is 7.3.3104a.1

Last edited:
I'm watching DVE-HD over an analogue (VGA) connection, so perhaps that's the difference between gearhead and I.

Regardless, this seems to be a bug with AnyDVD, or at least an unintended side effect. Slysoft, any chance you could look into this?

Cheers,
Erik

I'm watching DVE-HD over an analogue (VGA) connection, so perhaps that's the difference between gearhead and I.

Regardless, this seems to be a bug with AnyDVD, or at least an unintended side effect. Slysoft, any chance you could look into this?

I ordered it, we'll see.

Regardless, this seems to be a bug with AnyDVD, or at least an unintended side effect.

Ok, it's a side effect: yes.
Bug: no.

Simply deactivate the "remove first play title" option from the HD-DVD options in AnyDVD.
This specific disc requires the firstplay to get played.

Ok, it's a side effect: yes.
Bug: no.

Simply deactivate the "remove first play title" option from the HD-DVD options in AnyDVD.
This specific disc requires the firstplay to get played.

Well, that was easy, I'm embarassed I didn't try that first... Not that I'm the only one who didn't figure this out.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Erik

Sorry to ressurect this dead thread, but i can t get this to work. I just bought it and have a full HDCP connection and with or without Anydvd I can t get it to work. Any suggestions?

Sorry to ressurect this dead thread, but i can t get this to work. I just bought it and have a full HDCP connection and with or without Anydvd I can t get it to work. Any suggestions?

If you have HDCP compliance and you can't get "this to work" without Anydvd, then it's not an Anydvd issue. The issue may have something to do with the version of the playback software you're using or a setting.

Thanks for resurrecting it. I just ordered mine. Maybe I will get it to work

@webslinger, I know this really isn t a anydvd issue, I wasn t sure if anyone had had the same issue and found a solution.
@andy, this is the old version, the new one isn t out here in canada.

In case anyone cares - I have the new Blu-Ray version of DVE .... seems to work perfectly from the encrypted iso, using 3730a, and AnyDVD HD running.

In case anyone cares - I have the new Blu-Ray version of DVE .... seems to work perfectly from the encrypted iso, using 3730a, and AnyDVD HD running.

Humpa, what are the main differences? I tried the original DVE and it was horrible, navigation was horrendous, and the HD-DVD part, as we all know, was even incomplete, without instructions. By far the worst test disc I have ever tried. Even the DVD part was tedious to navigate, with the menus not being clear and the test videos placing just plain dumb. I don't want someone narrating me for 20 minutes what to do, or what I'm about to do. I'd like some text and straight-up tests, in the TEST section. A good clean example would be the THX optimizer section of some DVDs. Is anything substantial about navigation changed?

Thanks.

Humpa, what are the main differences? I tried the original DVE and it was horrible, navigation was horrendous, and the HD-DVD part, as we all know, was even incomplete, without instructions. By far the worst test disc I have ever tried. Even the DVD part was tedious to navigate, with the menus not being clear and the test videos placing just plain dumb. I don't want someone narrating me for 20 minutes what to do, or what I'm about to do. I'd like some text and straight-up tests, in the TEST section. A good clean example would be the THX optimizer section of some DVDs. Is anything substantial about navigation changed?

Thanks.
I havent gone thru it all yet. But the layout/menu seems good. And you can view all the test screens by themselves, without the narrative walk-through.

I was expecting something more though - I thought I'd read good things about the DVE discs?
I can get just as good gray scale and color test patterns from the wizard/thing that is part of the nvidea control panel ...
But, again, I haven't gone thru the whole thing yet - my black and white levels are good, and so is my red/green/blue - so I don't really care what else is on there.

It is probably worth putting in your netflix or Blockbuster queue and checking out (don't pirate from that though!) - then you can decide if you think it is worth purchasing.

EDIT: I've been busy doing other things since I got the DVE - Time Warner finally added most of the HD channels to the Dallas line-up - so I've been watching hi-def History/NGeo/AnimalPlanet/Discovery/A&E/etc ... lol ... I've missed those channels, but hate watching SD. :D
I think now they are only missing TLC and Travel HD :(

Last edited:
Back