• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with my Shrink Backups

shaneyb72

So, I take an original DVD and use AnyDVD to rip it to a hard drive. I save the files to a folder on an external hardrive. At some later point I use DVD Shrink 3.2 to open this folder that is still on my external HD. I then use the back up feature of DVD Shrink 3.2 to make a back-up DVD. Everything seems to work now.

But when I went to play the movie I get an error or nothing at all happens. But there definitely doesn't seem to be an actual movie there.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here? I never used to have any problems at all. And now I have nothing but problems.

What files should be present in the movie's folder on my external HD after I have ripped the DVD using AnyDVD? I have run about 10 movies and every folder seems different.

But when I went to play the movie

Where? On your hard drive or on a disc that you burned?

I get an error

Which is?

or nothing at all happens.

Are you playing the movie on your computer or on a standalone dvd player?

If you're playing the movie on your computer what program are you using to watch the film?

What files should be present in the movie's folder on my external HD after I have ripped the DVD using AnyDVD? I have run about 10 movies and every folder seems different.

Beneath each one should be a video_ts folder.

I was attmepting to play the back-up copy on a stand-alone DVD player. The error simply said "Disc Error".
I looked at some of the folders I have for movies and what is in each of them. Like I said they are all different. But it seems as though all of the ones I have done using the method described above (AnyDVD and Shrink 3.2) have one folder in them. And then in that folder is one more folder called Video_TS. So when I was opening the movie in DVD Shrink 3.2 I was just selecting the top folder, maybe that is the problem?

So I just tried doing another back-up copy and made sure to choose the Video_TS folder, but it still didn't work. I'm not sure what to do. It is very frustrating.

I was attmepting to play the back-up copy on a stand-alone DVD player. The error simply said "Disc Error".

1) If you run dvd playback software on your computer and select the video_ts folder as the source, will the movie play?

2) Have you tried playing your backup in your computer? If not, please try.

3) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

4) At what speed are you burning your blank media?

5) Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

So when I was opening the movie in DVD Shrink 3.2 I was just selecting the top folder, maybe that is the problem?

If you import the video_ts folder, that should be sufficient.

What media brand are you using too?

Webslinger said:
3) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

I did ask for that information.

Last edited:
You make the back up to your HDD using Shrink but what are you using to copy the data to DVD?
To repeat Webslinger's question..what Error are you receiving and from what software?

Wow-I haven't checked back in the last 12 hours or so and look at all of these replies! You guys are great!
So someone else told me that he thinks its the combination of using DVD Shrink with Nero 8 that is causing the problem. He said that for some reason Nero 8 seems to "mess up" the file structure that a stand-alone DVD player won't recognize. He suggested I try using Nero Recode along with Nero 8 and just leave DVD Shrink 3.2 out of the equation for now.
Does this seem reasonable? I think I may go try this now.

Wow-I haven't checked back in the last 12 hours or so and look at all of these replies! You guys are great!
So someone else told me that he thinks its the combination of using DVD Shrink with Nero 8 that is causing the problem. He said that for some reason Nero 8 seems to "mess up" the file structure that a stand-alone DVD player won't recognize. He suggested I try using Nero Recode along with Nero 8 and just leave DVD Shrink 3.2 out of the equation for now.

On most DVD's that'll work just fine. There are a few that may need to be ripped by anydvd first if there is structural copy protection.

On most DVD's that'll work just fine. There are a few that may need to be ripped by anydvd first if there is structural copy protection.

Oh, I was planning on running all movies through AnyDVD, then through Nero Recode, and finally burn with Nero 8. But you think I may be able to skip AnyDVD and just use the 2 Nero products?

I'm not a fan of Nero and all of it's bloat but Recode is a "good" tool ..... Shrink and Nero should have no issues with each other.

Oh, I was planning on running all movies through AnyDVD, then through Nero Recode, and finally burn with Nero 8. But you think I may be able to skip AnyDVD and just use the 2 Nero products?

You need AnyDVD to do the decrypting.

Just always look at the AnyDVD info window after you put in a disc. If there is no structural copy protection you can use Nero Recode to rip the DVD. If there is structural copy protection then you can rip using anydvd then process through Recode. AnyDVD ripper is kinda slow you might want to look into CloneDVD2 as it'll rip everything even structural copy protection discs and is way faster.

Again, thank you all for your help. I am now using AnyDVD, then Nero Recode, and finally Nero 8 to burn. And everything seems to be successful again!
For some reason Dvd Shrink 3.2 and Nero 8 did not work together at all if I was going to play the movie in a stand alone DVD player.
Thanks Again!

Again, thank you all for your help. I am now using AnyDVD, then Nero Recode, and finally Nero 8 to burn.

Nero Recode burns by itself (well, it uses the Nero burning engine); you don't need to exit the program.

For some reason Dvd Shrink 3.2 and Nero 8 did not work together at all

Nero 8 and Shrink work perfectly fine on my systems. It's possible that if you're using +R blank media that you weren't changing the booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning. Nero does that automatically for you.

Last edited:
Back