• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

This is first time I've read a response from Macrovision

Webslinger

Retired Moderator
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200813/516/SlySoft-breaches-Blu-ray-copy-protection

"Further to that confident admission on SlySoft’s part, BD+ creator Macrovision has responded by saying that action to ensure improved reaction to cracking attempts is already in the pipeline to combat SlySoft’s progress.

“BD+ is a security response system designed to react to security attacks, not prevent them entirely,” explained Macrovision VP and GM Eric Rodli. “As part of this system, updated BD+ security code is continuously developed so that BD+ customers obtain ongoing value from the use of this technology.”

LOL! It wasn't a yawn for the thread so much as the content. First BD+ was designed to prevent hacking for 10 years. Now it's a reactive security approach. Oh, really? So wtf do they plan on doing once it's been removed on all the existing titles that use it? Kind of hard to be reactive when your precious security crap has been completely eliminated. :D

“BD+ is a security response system designed to react to security attacks, not prevent them entirely,”

Uh, it is? I thought it was going to take 10 years to break if ever? So now they are backtracking and saying this? What a joke.

First BD+ was designed to prevent hacking for 10 years. Now it's a reactive security approach. Oh, really? So wtf do they plan on doing once it's been removed on all the existing titles that use it? Kind of hard to be reactive when your precious security crap has been completely eliminated. :D

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw that quote. After all the BS they spewed they are now going to suddenly turn things around and try to make it look like they ever claimed it would take 10 years. Heck, it took less than a year and close to half of one. Typical BS for the sake of PR.

They seriously have egg on their face and should feel utterly humiliated. Even if BD+ can be updated to handle it being broken the simple fact is they advertised it as virtually unbreakable. To have it defeated so fast just is ridiculous and leads me to ponder if they knew it could be defeated in such a short time by people with the resources. Maybe they simply exaggerated to win over studios to BD. It wouldn't be the first time a lie was told for the sake of money. I guess we'll never know.

ROFL! Yea, you and DLaD just love ganging up on people. sniff sniff :D

When they deserve it, yep, I do. :p

Heck, it took less than a year and close to half of one.
It took much less than half a year. Should be obvious - as we had no documentation, the earliest moment we could start was, when we had the first BD+ disc sitting on our desk, which IIRC was FF4 - ROTSS, released October 2007.

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw that quote. After all the BS they spewed they are now going to suddenly turn things around and try to make it look like they never claimed it would take 10 years. Heck, it took less than a year and close to half of one. Typical BS for the sake of PR.

What else can they do? "OOPS" is not really the response Fox is looking for. This is just tying calm down the studios who invested in this technology. "No, no, we didn't say it couldn't be broken. We said we'd react when it is!" RIGHT.

They seriously have egg on their face and should feel utterly humiliated. Even if BD+ can be updated to handle it being broken the simple fact is they advertised it as virtually unbreakable. To have it defeated so fast just is ridiculous and leads me to ponder if they knew it could be defeated in such a short time by people with the resources. Maybe they simply exaggerated to win over studios to BD. It wouldn't be the first time a lie was told for the sake of money. I guess we'll never know.

Do NOT underestimate what Peer and James accomplished on this. I doubt anyone else could do it anywhere near as quickly. Without them, we'd still be looking at an unhacked, unbroken system.

What else can they do? "OOPS" is not really the response Fox is looking for. This is just tying calm down the studios who invested in this technology. "No, no, we didn't say it couldn't be broken. We said we'd react when it is!" RIGHT.

Yeah, it would be rather funny to see them say, "Oops." I think it's even more humorous that Macrovision bought in to BD+ before Slysoft broke it. Macrovision just can't win. :p

Do NOT underestimate what Peer and James accomplished on this. I doubt anyone else could do it anywhere near as quickly. Without them, we'd still be looking at an unhacked, unbroken system.

Don't think for a second that I underestimate them. :) Far from it. I can't even begin to imagine all that they had to figure out and it simply astounds me when I see the results of what they do with SD DVD stuff let alone AACS and now BD+.

I never doubted they'd break it. I just didn't know when. They had the resources and obviously the intelligence. They far surpassed my expectations and anyone complaining about how long it took deserves a smack upside the head, IMHO.

It took much less than half a year. Should be obvious - as we had no documentation, the earliest moment we could start was, when we had the first BD+ disc sitting on our desk, which IIRC was FF4 - ROTSS, released October 2007.

Well, I changed my wording mid-sentence and even that came out wrong. I wanted to say less than a year. But it was closer to 6 months. I figured the first discs were released with Fantastic Four RotSS but the documentation that you do not have came out in July. So it was finalized and shared with the people in the know in July 2007. It's now March 2008. So from the time the studios had access to it until now is 8 months. The time since Fantastic Four RotSS is less, of course, since it was released on November 14, 2007 making it about 4 months since the first actual physically release containing BD+ on it. I rounded the two numbers to something in between... 6 months. :)

God, Macrovision has to be one of the most despised companies in my list, right there with AOL and Real Networks. Even worse (than Real). I don't know why though, I'm sure they've attempted to put crap in my computer, but besides the analog (VHS) anti-copying, and now BD+ I can't even remember what else of importance they've done. But I hate them! And the quotes betray a level of dishonesty on a par with the most professional of "press release" liars.

God, Macrovision has to be one of the most despised companies in my list, right there with AOL and Real Networks. Even worse (than Real). I don't know why though, I'm sure they've attempted to put crap in my computer, but besides the analog (VHS) anti-copying, and now BD+ I can't even remember what else of importance they've done. But I hate them! And the quotes betray a level of dishonesty on a par with the most professional of "press release" liars.

Well if it gives you any consolation, look at the Macrovision share price..it has halved since June 07...All Management options granted last year will be heavily underwater...that should make you fell better....:D:D:D

I think there are talented people out there who could do it in the same timeframe, but Peer and James are probably the only ones who actually get paid to do it and therefore can afford to spend a lot of time (and money if special hardware is required) to do it.

I think there are talented people out there who could do it in the same timeframe, but Peer and James are probably the only ones who actually get paid to do it and therefore can afford to spend a lot of time (and money if special hardware is required) to do it.

I'm sure there are people out there who could do it. I have no question of that. However, as it stands right now, (and this is NOT a slam against a competing product so don't take this comment the wrong way) Fengtao has not even cracked MKB V4 for his commercial product. So, Slysoft is not the only ones to get paid for their efforts, yet, they are currently the only ones who have a working MKB V4 *AND* BD+ solution. All in an easy to use, transparent program that simply works. Did I mention, on the fly? Now that it's done I really want people to sit back and REALLY think about what they accomplished. A great many people have bought AnyDVD HD so they can get around the HDCP requirements. That means they're not ripping discs. They simply want to put a disc in and have it play. AnyDVD allows them to do just that. No ripping necessary just to watch a movie. So while I agree, someone else COULD probably break BD+, no one else is going to do so in such a manner that Slysoft has brought it to us. Even a complete novice can get their discs working with AnyDVD. There's a lot to be said for how remarkable that is.

Back