• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft on Blu-ray BD+ crack: next time it will be easier

Antigua? Neat! Are they hiring?

One item bothers me:
As we noted in our HD DVD post-mortem, BD+ was one of the reasons that the studios eventually turned to Blu-ray as the HD optical format of choice.

"Admittedly, we are not really so fast with this because actually we had intended to publish this release already in December as promised," said Peer van Heuen, SlySoft head of HD technologies in a post. "However, it was decided for strategic reasons to wait a bit for the outcome of the 'format war' between HD DVD and Blu-ray."
In other works, Slysoft deliberately held back the crack to help ensure Blu-Ray won the war?

Maybe, if BD+ was known to be cracked, HD-DVD would have had a better chance?

n other works, Slysoft deliberately held back the crack to help ensure Blu-Ray won the war?

Although I have read the same quote I do not believe that it was meant that way.

Remember that Slysoft supported HD-DVD all along and wanted it to be the winner. If HD-DVD had won it would have meant less headaches for Slysoft in terms of dealing with BD+ and any future changes made to it. Slysoft would only have had to deal with AACS which is only optional in the HD-DVD spec.

I can't and won't speak for Slysoft but the difference between December and March gave them access to more BD releases containing BD+ and the more discs they had to work with the more they could learn since they don't have official BD+ documentation.

I wish they had released the ability to handle BD+ sooner but waiting likely resulted in a better release. Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure what impact this had on the outcome of the HD-DVD vs BD war.

Back