• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CD Protection using AnyDVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ealaia

From Slysoft's home page information about AnyDVD, I can see that this program is able to remove CD copy protection (in addition to DVD protection).
Since I'm trialling AnyDVD, I inserted Nora Jones' "Come Away with Me" CD which I cannot listen to on my computer (but plays fine in stand-alone CD/DVD-players).
Well, in AnyDVD's Status window, I can see that it detected and removed the protection. However, I still couldn't play the CD from Windows' Media Player as it was an "unrecognised format".
So, can someone please clear up - does AnyDVD make the protection invisible to PC applications for CD as it does for DVDs? If so, how can I convert the former to MP3?

However, I still couldn't play the CD from Windows' Media Player as it was an "unrecognised format".

Anydvd isn't going to fix problems with Windows Media Player recognizing non-standard disc formats. No Slysoft program will.

That said, when the disc is inserted you should be holding down the (left) shift key on your keyboard, which should stop autoplay. This is a copy control (mixed mode disc containing data and audio). If you didn't have Anydvd running before it's possible you have some junk installed on your system that is now blocking you from reading the disc.

Anydvd isn't going to fix problems with Windows Media Player recognizing non-standard disc formats. No Slysoft program will.
Well, since the disk is playable in a standard CD player, then at the very minimum it's a CD-Audio disk. I understand that it could also be an "Enhanced-CD" (mixed-mode), but as I understand, that's a add-on to CD-Audio standard, not a replacement. In other words, Enhanced-CD is superset to CD-Audio and its playability is backward compatible.
So, going back to the issue - isn't AnyDVD's job to strip-away the protection and make the content available, in this case, CD audio files which Windows Media Player does understand? I mean, isn't that what AnyDVD supposed to do for DVD-video disks?

Last edited:
I understand that it could also be an "Enhanced-CD" (mixed-mode)

It's a copy-control release, which is mixed-mode, but the junk that loads at autostart may possibly block your pc from being able to read the disc properly (I don't know much about the player software that is supposed to load at autostart). It's altogether conceivable that you may have a rootkit or some other nonsense on your system--and no, I don't perceive that as being Anydvd's job to assist you with removing junk from your system.

Anydvd running prior to inserting discs may help (due to blocking autostart--or possibly removing the data session)--but once the damage is done, it's pretty much game over until you remove whatever's blocking the read process (or if you have a drive that's simply incapable of reading the disc properly).

Typically, holding down a shift key while inserting a disc disables this problem (but if the nonsense is already on your system, you will have to look for a way to remove it).

So, going back to the issue - isn't AnyDVD's job to strip-away the protection and make the content available, in this case, CD audio files which Windows Media Player does understand? I mean, isn't that what AnyDVD supposed to do for DVD-video disks?

Once a nasty rootkit or some other obnoxious software program has been is on your system, no, Anydvd is not going to help you.

It would really make far more sense to disable autostart; hold down the shift key while inserting the disc (for a bit afterwards)--and then use something like Clonecd or Exactaudiocopy to rip the disc.

I have a few of these copy control discs. They don't present a problem.

Ripping these discs is a very simply process:

1) Have anydvd running in the background.
2) Insert disc.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.4.0.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is an Audio CD.
Found & removed additional sesssion(s) from Audio CD!

3) Rip with Exactaudiocopy (www.exactaudiocopy.de)

Last edited:
Your whole response is based on a assumption that something else is causing my CD to not seen as a CD-Audio disk after AnyDVD does little for it. You have absolutely no evidence to assume anything about my machine, and yet BS, after BS you spout.
If AnyDVD cannot deal with protection on this album, well, that's one matter and I am not expecting to Slysoft to fix everything, but don't blame the user or his machine if that is the case.

Your whole response is based on a assumption that something else is causing my CD to not seen as a CD-Audio disk after AnyDVD does little for it.

The original cd that you have loads a software player program at autostart, and it's entirely possible that doing so is not good (I don't know much about that software firsthand, because I refuse to let it install on my systems). That assumption is a logical guess/probability, considering the disc that you're using does contain that software . . .

You have absolutely no evidence to assume anything about my machine

Other than the fact that copy control cds do try to load something with autostart enabled?

and yet BS, after BS you spout

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters."

Consider this a warning. :policeman:

If AnyDVD cannot deal with protection on this album

Who says it can't? The Norah Jones cd contains the same copy control stuff that EMI published on other cds. I have no issues ripping these discs with Anydvd running in the background. I can then play those rips with any software player that can handle .wav files.

well, that's one matter and I am not expecting to Slysoft to fix everything, but don't blame the user or his machine if that is the case.

Anydvd probably won't help if you've already allowed the disc to load copy protection software onto your system. Same goes for dvd movies containing alpha-dvd rootkits. It's not Anydvd's fault that those types of programs may already be present on people's systems prior to using Anydvd. I don't know whether that is the case for you, but it's certainly a reasonable possibility.

I have a few EMI copy control cds. I put them in with Anydvd running in the background. When I load Windows Media Player 11 (just for you, because I hate WMP) and select any .cda file, the music plays. In addition to what I wrote earlier, that indicates to me Anydvd handles these cds perfectly fine.

So I am unable to reproduce your problem that you don't want me to make assumptions about.

On copy control cds the protection messes with the Red book standard. So that does make the disc not fit any accepted standard (which is what I wrote previously). And, as such, it's not Anydvd's responsibility to make whatever drive it is that you're using read these discs. Some aspects of the protection would be hardware dependent. Several things are happening with these discs that includes a multi-session (which may block the audio session from being seen), corrupted error-correction data (which makes some programs unable to rip the audio or take forever), and drm protected audio content found on the data area/session of the cd (it seems to me that Anydvd is blocking the drm data session of the disc, which is a good thing).

Again, hold down the shift key when loading the disc . . . or

1) Use Anydvd
2) Insert the disc (I've tested these discs in Plextor, Lite-on, LG, and Samsung burners without any issues)
3) rip to .wav and do whatever you want to those files

And I can select any .cda from Windows Media Player 11 from the original copy control cd and listen to the music on the original disc with Anydvd running in the background.

Last edited:
It's kind of pointless going-on since results speak for themselves, however:

Other than the fact that copy control cds do try to load something with autostart enabled?
I don't know if you know but you're not the only person in Windows world who knows about disabling autoplay or holding left-shift.

It's kind of pointless going-on since results speak for themselves

Yes. I can't reproduce your problem on four different computers.

By the way, I never stated that beyond a shadow of doubt that you had something on your system that was causing issues. I wrote that it was a decent possibility.

I don't know if you know but you're not the only person in Windows world who knows about disabling autoplay or holding left-shift.

And I'm not the only person in the world to have absolutely no issues with copy control cds either with Anydvd running in the background.

Last edited:
I've read the thread. Webslinger has offered advice based on the information he has to go on. He can't read your mind. You don't like what he said but you surely didn't need to go about declaring it in the manner you did.

I suggest that you contact Slysoft Support because at this point I don't think you'll be happy with any help you receive here on this matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back