• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

If AnyDVD HD were offered for your Mac would you purchase it ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeL

Oops I vote yes but I don't have a Mac. But if I have a Mac I sure will purchase AnyDVDMac :agree:

Oops I vote yes but I don't have a Mac. But if I have a Mac I sure will purchase AnyDVDMac :agree:

I could rephrase the question: "Would you buy a Mac, if AnyDVD HD is available?"

I may be a little biased, but for me AnyDVD is the "killer application" I must have on a media center machine. Without AnyDVD, a Mac simply doesn't do it.
Unfortunately most Macs have Panasonic drives, so AnyDVD's region code removal for DVDs won't work. For me, this alone would be a showstopper.

I assume people without a Mac shouldn't vote?

I'm thinking of getting the next mac mini as a 3rd, portable computer (don't like laptops and don't need 'em for what I do). Does this count? Wait, would you even consider it? I might end up using Windows more on that mini, though.

No - I have another product I use
Serious question - *IS* there another comparable product?

I'm thinking of getting the next mac mini as a 3rd, portable computer (don't like laptops and don't need 'em for what I do). Does this count? Wait, would you even consider it? I might end up using Windows more on that mini, though.
Careful, Mac mini probably has a Panasonic drive. This isn't a problem, if you don't intend to watch DVDs from other regions, of course.

Careful, Mac mini probably has a Panasonic drive. This isn't a problem, if you don't intend to watch DVDs from other regions, of course.

I still don't understand what is it about Panasonic drives that can't be region-freed, but anyway, it's not much of a problem for me, I usually rent my movies, and it's not much of a problem if I buy a foreign film, to rip it and burn it. I am not really getting it for HTPC use, though certainly I'll try to use it for that too as far as I can go. I think it's just time for me to learn a couple of damn things about macs! The mini is the first mac that in my opinion doesn't have most of the crap that makes some of us dislike them so much (the macbook air being the polar opposite just so you'll know what I mean).

Reality Check

Please don't do it!

Apple does not market it's products in the best interests of their customers.

Besides, only a small fraction of Apple computers even have the capability to play Blu-ray and HD DVD content successfully.

Get rid of their proprietary bios and they're just another PC manufacturer.

The only thing they really have to offer is the aura of style and mythical simplicity of use.

IMHO, marketing such a fine product, like AnyDVD HD, to Apple owners would be a wasted effort.

Please don't do it!

Apple does not market it's products in the best interests of their customers.

Besides, only a small fraction of Apple computers even have the capability to play Blu-ray and HD DVD content successfully.

Get rid of their proprietary bios and they're just another PC manufacturer.

The only thing they really have to offer is the aura of style and mythical simplicity of use.

IMHO, marketing such a fine product, like AnyDVD HD, to Apple owners would be a wasted effort.

That's one of the stupidest things I have read on this forum. I own both pcs and macs, and I would love to have a mac version. Where do you get your "apple hates consumers" thinking? I don't want this thread to turn in to a debate on the subject, I am just curious where that came from. I think they are one of the most consumer friendly companies out there, unless you consider any company that aims to make money to have an instant strike against them. They make products that work, are updated regularly, and are truly innovative. If you are just going to rant because they won't let you unlock the iphone or install linux on a macbook air, go piss in someone else's cereal.

Would have to disagree about them being overly consumer friendly, We sell Macs & PC's for video editing, and have more problems and tech support calls from Mac users than PC users. And get more angry customers when something is faulty as we have to send the systems back to Apple if they need to be fixed and that can take weeks. A lot of customers seem to decide to opt for PC when they find that out as if a piece of hardware fails we can get it picked up and replace the parts and back out to them within 3-5 days or if they're up to it can get them a part out by the next day and they fit it themselves.
Also we've been told that Apple have no intention of fitting Blu-ray drives in their systems as they want people to download movies from them instead and at the moment have no intentions of producing decent Blu-ray playback software (which when you supply systems for video editing is appalling)

Also I thought swearing was against forum rules

Last edited:
I still don't understand what is it about Panasonic drives that can't be region-freed, but anyway, it's not much of a problem for me, I usually rent my movies, and it's not much of a problem if I buy a foreign film, to rip it and burn it. I am not really getting it for HTPC use, though certainly I'll try to use it for that too as far as I can go. I think it's just time for me to learn a couple of damn things about macs! The mini is the first mac that in my opinion doesn't have most of the crap that makes some of us dislike them so much (the macbook air being the polar opposite just so you'll know what I mean).

To answer your question many many many laptops have Matshita/Matushita DVD drives (Panasonic OEM). They are cheap, utter garbage and suffer from region coding problems. Refer here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/637240-post2.html. That said, I am not aware of an HD/BD drive available that is Matshita/Matushita/Panasonic, anyway.

That's one of the stupidest things I have read on this forum. I own both pcs and macs, and I would love to have a mac version. Where do you get your "apple hates consumers" thinking? I don't want this thread to turn in to a debate on the subject, I am just curious where that came from. I think they are one of the most consumer friendly companies out there, unless you consider any company that aims to make money to have an instant strike against them. They make products that work, are updated regularly, and are truly innovative. If you are just going to rant because they won't let you unlock the iphone or install linux on a macbook air, go piss in someone else's cereal.

It wasn't a rant I was just stating the obvious facts. Give me one instance where the mac isn't proprietary.

Stay on topic, people. Let's not get into a Mac vs <anything> war, please. :policeman:

Last edited:

I hate to turn this into an Mac vs PC thread, but I really don't pit them against each other as much as others. As I said the embodiment of pretty much all I dislike about macs is the Macbook Air, but the mini seems to be just the opposite along the mac range. But especially since their switch to Intel, and even more so with Core 2 duo, their PCs aren't all that bad, in the all-in-one integrated market. They don't seem so overpriced and niche anymore. They can run Windows now! And just the fact that Mac OS doesn't have anything like the registry alone is a big plus for me.

So that said, I dare anyone mention any true competition for the Mac mini, even compared to the current one you can't get a Windows machine as powerful, even if it's a little bit bigger, for that price. Running Leopard alongside Windows is a big plus too.

Stay on topic, people. Let's not get into a Mac vs <anything> war, please. :policeman:

whoops, my bad for continuing it. I don't think I was being negative against any brand, though.

Stay on topic, guys. Let's not get into a Mac vs <anything> war, please. :policeman:

That wasn't my intention. AnyDVD (ok), AnyDVD HD (no way). I'll refrain from making any further posts if that's what SlySoft really wants.

whoops, my bad for continuing it. I don't think I was being negative against any brand, though.

That wasn't my intention. AnyDVD (ok), AnyDVD HD (no way). I'll refrain from making any further posts if that's what SlySoft really wants.

The person who started this thread did have a purpose and a poll. Let's not side track that with what is, unfortunately, typical Mac vs *nix vs PC stuff.

I'm not yelling at you guys, mind you. Just, please, don't make the Moderators lives harder. Pretty please? :)

The person who started this thread did have a purpose and a poll. Let's not side track that with what is, unfortunately, typical Mac vs *nix vs PC stuff.

I'm not yelling at you guys, mind you. Just, please, don't make the Moderators lives harder. Pretty please? :)

I think you should change your username, it doesn't fit you well any more.

Yes

Just purchased a Mac Book Pro and there doesn't seem to be any good OSX DVD backup program.

In the meantime I'll just have to make do with the XP version and VMware Fusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back