• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD protection and rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace8

I used anyDVD to remove copy protection from DVDs i rented and then made copies. When i return the DVDs to the store, will they be able to know i made some copies? I noticed lines appearing on the recorded side of the DVDs i used anyDVD on.

I used anyDVD to remove copy protection from DVDs i rented and then made copies. When i return the DVDs to the store, will they be able to know i made some copies?
No.

Of course this is higly illegal and if the MPAA is monitoring this site, using you IP and subpoena (sp?), they an get your info from your ISP and take you to court for some hefty fines... :policeman: AnyDVD is made so you can backup (not copy/pirate) movies you already OWN.

Of course this is higly illegal and if the MPAA is monitoring this site, using you IP and subpoena (sp?), they an get your info from your ISP and take you to court for some hefty fines... :policeman: AnyDVD is made so you can backup (not copy/pirate) movies you already OWN.
In Antigua it isn't, in Germany it isn't, in Switzerland it isn't... the OP didn't say he is a US citizen.

In Antigua it isn't, in Germany it isn't, in Switzerland it isn't... the OP didn't say he is a US citizen.

True dat. But I am guessing whereever he is from it probably isn't kosher to do what he did hence the OP. Of course if he is a resident of The Island of Antigua he has nothing to worry about (and probably would not be asking the original question as he wouldn't care if they knew or not...)

He can of course take the advice any way he chooses... :rock:

I used anyDVD to remove copy protection from DVDs i rented...

Copying Rentals is illegal in the U.S. and some some other countries. And the fines are huge $500-$1000 for the first bust, and, they seize all your copied DVDs as well. AnyDVD is to be used to copy DVDs you own. :)

I used anyDVD to remove copy protection from DVDs i rented and then made copies. When i return the DVDs to the store, will they be able to know i made some copies?

NO

I noticed lines appearing on the recorded side of the DVDs i used anyDVD on.

The "Lines" are not caused by AnyDVD.

If someone is using a static IP address, then yes that would indeed be the case.
What then if someone is using a dynamic IP address, I'm sure this would be extremely hard or a near impossibility to trace unless you were to stay online indefinately....I'm sure someone will tell us?..:confused:

If someone is using a static IP address, then yes that would indeed be the case.
What then if someone is using a dynamic IP address, I'm sure this would be extremely hard or a near impossibility to trace unless you were to stay online indefinately....I'm sure someone will tell us?..:confused:
They cannot see your IP address unless they place a link where you click it. It would have to be the person who was doing the stealing in the first place. Either way, they just ask your ISP and if they like to bend over backwards they can easily find out who you are.

Just don't make yourself a target people. By ummm not copying rentals? :p

They cannot see your IP address unless they place a link where you click it. It would have to be the person who was doing the stealing in the first place. Either way, they just ask your ISP and if they like to bend over backwards they can easily find out who you are.

Just don't make yourself a target people. By ummm not copying rentals? :p

Thanks linx05, I dont personaly hire or copy rentals myself because I'm to tight to rent them in the first place...:)

I usually buy the originals and then wait for friends to give me theirs to view..:D

I think the answer is, if you dont want to get caught..."DONT DO IT"....;)

AFAIK it IS in germany since the law was changed.

No, it is not. I talked for hours with our lawyer about this. If you can read German, do yourself a favor and look up the German law yourself:

http://dejure.org/gesetze/UrhG/108b.html

Circumventing a copy protection *for personal use* is *not* a crime.
Do not believe the FUD the media industry is spreading.

As the technical question of the OP was answered, I consider this "case closed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back