• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

clonedvd vs clonecd

MikeA

I apologize for this post, but the posts I have searched and read so far just don't seem to get to the bonehead level I need.
I understand the difference at some level. Clonedvd is a transcoder, and clonecd is a direct copier.
However, when clonedvd shows 100% quality, I understand that to mean that no additional compression will be done and that the original material will be copied without any loss in quality. Is this true?
If it is necessary to use clonecd to make copies that don't have any loss in quality, is the following process necessary?
- use anydvd to copy the material from the original dvd to hard drive
- use clonecd to make dvd copy from hard drive
or, does anydvd also work with clonecd like it works with clonedvd?
Thanks
Mike

However, when clonedvd shows 100% quality, I understand that to mean that no additional compression will be done and that the original material will be copied without any loss in quality. Is this true?

Correct

If it is necessary to use clonecd to make copies that don't have any loss in quality, is the following process necessary?

No.

Read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327 fully
(this is my preferred method for making movie backups with double layer discs)

Last edited:
Actually Clone CD was designed to make backup copies of your music CD's and Clone DVD obviously to make backups of your DVD movies. You should be using each version for what they were designed for for optimal results.

Actually Clone CD was designed to make backup copies of your music CD's and Clone DVD obviously to make backups of your DVD movies. You should be using each version for what they were designed for for optimal results.

This is completely false. I honestly don't know where to begin.

Most people used Clonecd for gaming cd backups at one point. Later, Olli added more features to better handle music cds (he was trying to make Clonecd act a bit more like Exactaudiocopy at one point for audio cds, I believe). And later still, Clonecd was able to also clone DVDs. With Anydvd running in the background, Clonecd can now retain the original layer break position when using +R DL media (for commerical dvd-video backups). Clonedvd2 cannot retain the original layer break position no matter what.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. It seems that the only noticeable (to a newbie like me) difference between clonedvd and clonecd is that on DL disks, clonecd will maintain the original layer change point. I suppose this is important for some brief, probably non noticeable, instant of time when the layer change actually happens.
So, to summarize, if I am making complete copies where 100% quality transfer is desired, it seems I can use either program, but clonecd will create the 'purer' copy if DL. The advantage of clonedvd seems to be in the ability to strip out various chapters and 'tracks' and make 'slim' copies of movies without all the menus and extras and such.
Overall, I am truly amazed so far with these programs. I am going to do a few more tests, including making some divx copies to play from my hard drive, to see if my amazement continues.
I expect to be a fully paid customer very shortly.
Thanks again, especially for such prompt replies.
Mike

Thanks for the input. It seems that the only noticeable (to a newbie like me) difference between clonedvd and clonecd is that on DL disks, clonecd will maintain the original layer change point.

Yes, and Clonecd does not compress at all (you also can't remove language tracks, subtitles, etc. in Clonecd). Clonecd basically produces a 1:1 copy (minus the protection when you use Anydvd).

For movies, I use Clonecd (with Anydvd running on the toolbar) with Verbatim +R DL media. This is my preferred method of backing up my collection.

Last edited:
Webslinger
Thanks. I think we are in sync now.
Once again, thanks for the awesome support.
Mike

This is completely false. I honestly don't know where to begin.

Most people used Clonecd for gaming cd backups at one point. Later, Olli added more features to better handle music cds (he was trying to make Clonecd act a bit more like Exactaudiocopy at one point for audio cds, I believe). And later still, Clonecd was able to also clone DVDs. With Anydvd running in the background, Clonecd can now retain the original layer break position when using +R DL media (for commerical dvd-video backups). Clonedvd2 cannot retain the original layer break position no matter what.

Well I guess what is on Slysoft's opening web page is incorrect, so I apologize to everyone for these erroneous descriptions on their web site where they recommend Clone CD being for music CD's as well as data and Clone DVD recommended for backing up DVD movies, I purchased their total product line about 2 years ago based on the information on their web site. :eek: :doh:
I forgot that since the release of version 5 you could make 1:1 copies of DVD's, this was not always the case. I guess now I could save myself some money and not buy the complete bundle.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Well I guess what is on Slysoft's opening web page is incorrect,

It's not incorrect. You'll also notice a far more detailed description here:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html

"CloneCD is the perfect tool to make backup copies of your music and data CDs, regardless of copy protection. CloneCD's award-winning user interface allows you to copy almost any CD in just a few mouse clicks.

Since the release of 5.0, CloneCD is not only able to copy CDs but also all DVD formats, such as DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Dual Layer and DVD-RAM. The movies are copied 1:1 and therefore not modified (compressed). Note that to copy movie DVDs you also require AnyDVD.

CloneCD also works with other formats such as ISO and UDF files and copies CDs/DVDs with the new SafeDisc 3 Copy Protection System. CloneCD allows you to create perfect 1:1 copies of your valuable original compact discs. Should your copy-protected music CD not play in your car audio, the backup created by CloneCD will.
"

I forgot that since the release of version 5 you could make 1:1 copies of DVD's, this was not always the case. I guess now I could save myself some money and not buy the complete bundle

Clonedvd2 is not going to help you with games and music cds. It also won't retain the original layer break position when using +R DL blank media. Clonecd does not compress video so that it will fit on a single layer blank.

Last edited:
ABC,

I apologize, sincerely, for accidently editing your post. I thought I was editing mine when I hit the "edit" button.

--Webslinger.

I won't be responding further in this thread. I agree that the opening description on Slysoft's webpage should probably include something
about 1:1 copies of dvds when +R DL media is used. The point I was making is that Clonecd was never designed with the original intent of backing up music cds (and "music cds" was all you mentioned). It can, obviously. But at one point, its primary use was for backing up copyprotected games.
ABC said:
When new prospective customers log on to Slysofts web site, Slysoft lists their different software and recommend primary tasks for each one of them on that page, which was what my reply consisted of, once again for "optimal results".

You only mentioned music cds for Clonecd. The opening webpage also mentions "data" cds and copy protection (mostly found on games), which you did not mention.

I agree with you, insofar, that the opening description should probably mention 1:1 backups of dvd movies using +R DL media.
That's very true.

ABC said:
You claimed that this was completely false and honestly I can not see what is completely false in my reply as I was simply communicating what is on Slysofts opening page.

1. Clonecd was not originally designed just for music cds. In fact, its primary function, at one time, was for backing up copyprotected data cds or games.
2. For "optimal results", I use Clonecd to make +R DL backups of my dvd-videos, because I prefer to retain the original layer break position--which is something Clonedvd2 cannot do.

Again, I apologize for editing your post. I accidently did the same thing to one of James' posts once. It wasn't on purpose.

I won't be responding further on this specific subject in this thread. If I offended you . . . my apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Webslinger,

Isn't making archive copies on +R DL disc rather expensive, when the alternative is more cost-effective and still renders decent results?

Bettle Juice

Hey Webslinger,

Isn't making archive copies on +R DL disc rather expensive, when the alternative is more cost-effective and still renders decent results?

I got Verbatim +R DLs for a good price--and no, I disagree. I am not interested in compression at all--unless it's lossless compression (and so far, nothing user friendly in that area has been released). Complete and utter waste of time, imo, to be using encoders and transcoders if one's goal is to burn a backup.

I will use Clonedvd2 for single layer backups (in other words, I split across two discs on rare occasions).

Last edited:
Back