• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinDVD 9

Adbear

I see they've released WinDVD 9 hopefully it'll play things well. ANyone managed to get it yet or let us know when you do and how well it works

Indeed,….

I’m very interested to hear what WinDVD9 has to offer in the way of competition to PowerDVD Ultra 7. But then again, it wont likely be too long before the competition is PowerDVD Ultra 8.

Its my guess that the movie consortium (mafia) is the driving force behind dictating the operation and feature set of such software. So its my guess that removal of file playback from HDD (for example) is compulsory,….eventually they will all do this in lockstep.

Therefore I somewhat expect WinDVD 9 to be as buggy and difficult to work with as PowerDVD Ultra,….well difficult to work with anyway,…

Indeed,….
Its my guess that the movie consortium (mafia) is the driving force behind dictating the operation and feature set of such software. So its my guess that removal of file playback from HDD (for example) is compulsory,….eventually they will all do this in lockstep.

I agree 200% :clap::clap:
Our hope is on Slysoft and that it stay a FREE company. :rock::rock:

I'm playing around with WinDVD9 Plus Blu-Ray right now and I'm having trouble playing Blu-Ray discs on my non-HDCP monitor (even when AnyDVD-HD is active). Using the PowerDVD + AnyDVD-HD combination works pretty well for me so I'll continue to use that instead.

I'd like to know, as well. I am considering purchasing blu player for my home theater computer, which is hooked to my HDTV via RGB. I currently use WinDVD8, and would like to upgrade to 9+Bluray if I can rip to my hard drive and watch on my big TV (46in Sony flat panel.)

I actually bought the upgrade a couple of hours ago, un-installed PowerDVD Ultra, and installed WinDVD 9 then restarted the computer. I'm not sure what I did or didn't do but I'm unable to get WinDVD 9 to start properly, the program just hangs when it starts. So I've requested a refund and I'll probally re-install PowerDVD Ultra.

P.S.

Forgot to mention I'm using Vista 64.

I actually bought the upgrade a couple of hours ago, un-installed PowerDVD Ultra, and installed WinDVD 9 then restarted the computer. I'm not sure what I did or didn't do but I'm unable to get WinDVD 9 to start properly, the program just hangs when it starts. So I've requested a refund and I'll probally re-install PowerDVD Ultra.
Why uninstall PowerDVD Ultra? They will coexist.

I have major problems with WinDVD 8. It would not play on any of my PCs, except those which had had XP reinstalled. Hope it does not present the same issues with WinDVD 9.

On the other hand, with BD+ now broken and PowerDVD Ultra working for me, I am wondering why I should pay for the upgrade to WinDVD 9.......

Why uninstall PowerDVD Ultra? They will coexist.

I have major problems with WinDVD 8. It would not play on any of my PCs, except those which had had XP reinstalled. Hope it does not present the same issues with WinDVD 9.

On the other hand, with BD+ now broken and PowerDVD Ultra working for me, I am wondering why I should pay for the upgrade to WinDVD 9.......

Yea you're correct, but I absolutely hate the way PowerDVD auto plays when a DVD/BD/HD DVD is inserted, even with the "auto play" settings in the control panel set to "take no action".

I have been looking for an excuse to un-install it for a while. Nero Showtime works somewhat, and I love the way it shows the real size of the video content when it starts playing.

I absolutely hate the way PowerDVD auto plays when a DVD/BD/HD DVD is inserted, even with the "auto play" settings in the control panel set to "take no action".

Just disable autorun of the program called "RemoteControl" (c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd\pdvdserv.exe). You can use very nice program called "Autoruns" from Sysinternals/Microsoft to do this. Or Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> System Configuration ("Startup" tab).

Last edited:
Bought it and am quite pleased with it, although it has some issues as well:

Positive:

- DVD and BD regions can be resetted by deleting ivireg.ivr
- works with AnyDVD HD 6.4.0.0 for HD-DVDs
- T2 Ultimate HD-DVD works as it should

Negative:

- AnyDVD HD doesn't work with Bluray
- Hardware Accelteration is forced on my 8800GT with BD and HD DVD.
- Quite unstable: Crashes sometimes when changing video options
- Star Trek S1 HD-DVD: Starfleet Access only shows PiP like the other software players
- Slow navigation
- SD-DVD upscale is ugly. Looks heavily oversharpened.
- application settings always reset when exiting WinDVD
- French Studio Canal titles don't work. I only get into the menu, cannot start main movie.

Last edited:
Negative:

- Hardware Accelteration is forced on my 8800GT with BD and HD DVD.

What driver are you using with your 8800GT? I couldn't even get the program to start with a 9600GT and forceware 174.53.

I have just installed 174.53. Works like a charm.

Showtime and WinDVD both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have both of them.

2 out of 2 blu-ray ISOs won't play with WinDVD9 Plus. It just says "STOP" (like hitting the stop button).

It played the HD DVD iso of Mummy.

It Played a HD DVD from a folder (ADV_OBJ folder)

Crashed on exit of the program.

That's cause AnyDVD HD doesn't work with BD on WinDVD 9. It doesn't even play BDs off disc when it is enabled. Seems that WinDVD9 is actively blocking AnyDVD HD when playing BD. Only HD-DVD works (they probably don't care about that format anymore). Slysoft has to fix that asap please!

WinDVD 9 does work, but it also uses more system resources than PowerDVD Ultra.

Ah well, having choices is good, right! ;)

WinDVD 9 + BD does not play BD ISO's

I have not been able to get WinDVD 9 + HD/BD to play Blu-ray ISO's created from AnyDVD backups including 6.4.0.0. HD works Ok.

Of the 3 (PowerDVD 7.3, WinDVD 9 and Nero 8), WinDVD is the least reliable and appears to check for the presence of AnyDVD and stops when it finds it.

It should play BD rips written to actual BD-RE disc though. WinDVD 8 BD for VAIO does. I don't think WinDVD checks for the presence of AnyDVD. It's something different. James said he would fix it one day.

Back