• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD+ Observation

phigment

This is from a PM with peer:

peer said:
phigment said:
Hi peer,
I'm curious if any of the BD+ titles that you have encountered have code that modifies the decoded bitstream? This question has been bothering me for a while. Wouldn't bitstreams from such disks be useless unless the BD+ code was still in tact to properly transform the decompressed bitstream to something visually correct?

I.e. studio transforms original RAW video, then applies compression, then puts BD+ code on disk to apply reverse transform on decoded RAW video.

Let me know if I'm not making any sense.

No they don't - don't think it's possible or even practical.
Think of the production path - hi quality video being recorded and compressed would have to get decoded, modified and re-encoded which would most definitely have a significant negative effect on quality.
Also severe modifications (the type that is desired by BD+) would have a very negativ impact on compressibility itself.

But: why didn't you ask this question in the forum? I'm sure others would like you to share your thoughts...

peer,

I understand your reasoning, but I do believe it is possible. I recall reading a document a while back that states that this is one 'benefit' of using the BD+ VM.

Also, picture the following transform: "toggle whether luma values are to be inverted on every closed GOP boundary". This wouldn't hurt compressability much. It would be quite annoying to somebody trying to remove BD+ though.

Its a good idea for a protection but I doubt it would be possible, the players werent designed to do that, and it would require more cpu power which couldnt be done by a simple firmware upgrade, it would completely make the discs unplayable on old players.

Great! A 6 time poster councils a 1 time poster (and a Slysoft Team leader) on proper posting etiquitte. :D

-W

PS: The actual subject matter was interesting - be quiet and read and learn.

Great! A 6 time poster councils a 1 time poster (and a Slysoft Team leader) on proper posting etiquitte. :D

-W

PS: The actual subject matter was interesting - be quiet and read and learn.

It is interesting reading but was it really necessary to actually quote the private message in a public forum post?

This isn't as much about etiquette as it is common sense, IMHO. If peer isn't bothered then it's not an issue, however.

attachment.php

Stay on topic, please--or this thread gets closed. :policeman:

Back