• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Using Trial version of Anydvd

Afrikitty

Hello,
I downloaded the trail version of Anydvd a few days ago, which was recommended to me by some good people. I was using the software with such success that I was going to purchase the package yesterday. However, on Sunday evening, I was away from my computer for a while, waiting for the image to be created and came back to see that it had rebooted itself and my burn was stopped. It mentioned something about a blue screen. Since then, I cannot copy any DVD whatsoever, not even non copywrited DVDs. Also, I am now continuously being told "illegal DVD" after every image that I create once I put the blank DVD in to do the copy. I am using Nero 6 (I think it's 6) and the trial version of AnyDVD. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but with no luck. Is there a reason for this that I can't fathom, or has something gone wrong? My computer seems to be functioning just fine otherwise.
I look forward to any help regarding this matter as I was so hopeful with this software.:confused:

What brand DVD's are you using and is your firmware up to date for your burner?

If you got a Blue Screen, that is a hardware issue. Many things can cause the Blue Screen of Death...... Is your CPU and HSF clean? Is the Power Supply a good one?

What brand DVD's are you using and is your firmware up to date for your burner?
Hello locoeng, Thank you for answering my question. I'm using Memorex Double Layer DVD+R DL blanks as the movies I am copying are 135 minutes long. I also used Sony DVD-R for shorter movies. I don't know what "firmware" is...I do apologise. As I said previously, everything was working perfectly until Sunday night. Also, this computer is about 18 months old. It's a Gateway with Pentium 111 I think. I've never had a problem with it...ever.

If you got a Blue Screen, that is a hardware issue. Many things can cause the Blue Screen of Death...... Is your CPU and HSF clean? Is the Power Supply a good one?
Good afternoon oldjoe,
My brain is a bit boggled by your question. LOL I have my computer serviced every six months. It's just had it's service a couple of weeks ago. I have heard of this blue screen of death, but don't know what it means. On Sunday evening, the computer was doing a burn. I was away from it for a while and when I came back, it had rebooted itself and was back on my homepage. There was an "error" message from Microsoft asking me to send this error, which I did. It didn't tell me much other than they had no fix for the problem. I am mystified to say the least. If it's a harware problem, what on earth could that mean? It's been serviced just a couple of weeks ago, so if my CPU???? and HSF?????? should be clean and it's not, I have someting to say to my techies. :) Sorry I can't give you more information.

I'm using Memorex Double Layer DVD+R DL blanks as the movies I am copying are 135 minutes long.

I wouldn't trust any other brand except Verbatim for my DL burning. With that said, the running time of the movie doesn't have as much to do with your backup as does the file size. You can cut out the menus and special features to reduce the size of file and compression needed to fit the movie onto a single SL disc.

I downloaded the trail version of Anydvd a few days ago, which was recommended to me by some good people. I was using the software with such success that I was going to purchase the package yesterday.

Were you using another program or set of programs to make your backups before or is this a first time thing for you?

I am now continuously being told "illegal DVD"

This is why I asked about the brand of media and your firmware...typical error when using cheap media or your firmware needs attention. It simply means that you are asking your burner to do something it doens't know how to do. This can usually be overcome by a firmware update or changing brands of blanks. Since a firmware update is free I would try that first.

We need to find out your burners model number and current firmware version is.

Run this tool to find out what drive you have and the firmware that you are using... http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Good afternoon oldjoe,
My brain is a bit boggled by your question.

The blue screen of death can be caused from excessive heat. OldJoe asked if your CPU and Heat Sink Fan were clean because a build up of dust bunnies can deminish the ability to reduce heat inside your case. A bad PSU (Power Supply Unit) can also give you the BSOD.

Your PC probably just encountered the error in the burning program and got "stuck" and confused triggering a reboot and the "send error report" from Microsoft. Probably no biggie, but DVD work (encoding/transcoding) is very CPU intensive and can put your 'puter through it's paces...building up heat.

I wouldn't trust any other brand except Verbatim for my DL burning. With that said, the running time of the movie doesn't have as much to do with your backup as does the file size. You can cut out the menus and special features to reduce the size of file and compression needed to fit the movie onto a single SL disc.

Were you using another program or set of programs to make your backups before or is this a first time thing for you?

This is why I asked about the brand of media and your firmware...typical error when using cheap media or your firmware needs attention. It simply means that you are asking your burner to do something it doens't know how to do. This can usually be overcome by a firmware update or changing brands of blanks. Since a firmware update is free I would try that first.

Run this tool to find out what drive you have and the firmware that you are using... http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

The blue screen of death can be caused from excessive heat. OldJoe asked if your CPU and Heat Sink Fan were clean because a build up of dust bunnies can deminish the ability to reduce heat inside your case. A bad PSU (Power Supply Unit) can also give you the BSOD.

Your PC probably just encountered the error in the burning program and got "stuck" and confused triggering a reboot and the "send error report" from Microsoft. Probably no biggie, but DVD work (encoding/transcoding) is very CPU intensive and can put your 'puter through it's paces...building up heat.
Hello again locoeng, Good morning to you.
You were absolutely right! :) I had bought a bad batch of Memorex DL blanks. When I was getting the "illegal disc" error after the image had been created, I had thought the software was telling me that the particular DVD I was trying to copy was so well copyrighted that the flames of hell would go out before I got that particular movie copied. The thing that foxed me though, was that I had made copies of the other two movies in the series of three just fine, so why was just this particular disc saying "illegal disc". I printed out the error report that the AnyDVD software gave me after it refused to burn and I studied it carefully. From what I could understand, it seemed to be telling me that the BLANKS were "illegal", NOT the DVD itself, so off I went to buy new blanks. Well....all I can say, is problem solved. Also, I took the computer in to my techie and he did some work on it and did a burn right there in the store quite successfully. I am proud to say that I had taken that error report with me and I had said to him "Run with me on this thought....". I explained what I thought I was seeing in the error report and he said it was a possiblity. When I got the computer home, I tried to do another burn using the same "illegal" blanks and again got the same problem, but when I redid the burn on the new blanks I bought, voila.......I got my burn and have contunued to successfully burn since then. So, thank you so much for your wonderful advice. By the way, the Memorex 50 pack of DL blanks were the problem. $99.00 down the drain and I am going to "fight" with the manager of the store today to try to get my money back. I bought a package of the 25 pack Memorex discs. They look different, feel different and seem to work differently to the 50 pack, yet, the information on the pack says they are the same item. Well, I found out differently, didn't I. :) I looked at the Verbatum discs and they are just a bit too pricey for what I am trying to do. But I will keep your advice in mind if I start having more problems with the Memorex. Once again, thank you so much for your time.

Cheap junk is always prone to giving people headaches. Use Verbatim + R DL only (made in singapore) for DL backups.
Hello Webslinger,
Yes, as I was just telling locoeng, it was the Memorex DL blanks that were the problem. I must say a hearty "thank you" to all of you who so diligently helped me. It is an honour to be a part of this forum and I wil now go ahead and buy the anyDVD software as I know it is not the problem and most of my techies swear by it. I found that out by studying the jargon written in the error report after my burn continued to fail and there was something in there that seemed to be saying to me that the blanks were the "illegal disc" I was getting after the image had been created. I really do hope my experience will help many others who might be having the same problem.

Hello again oldjoe,
Thank you for all your help. I managed to get my problem sorted out. I took my computer down to my techie after I got your message and asked him to check my CPU and HSF for me. He told me my computer was in excellent condition. I have a very good power supply and do have the computer serviced every six months and I have never had a problem with it. Everything was clean and my fan was working perfectly. As you will, no doubt, see from my answers to Webslinger and locoeng, it was the blanks, not the software or the hardware. I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. :) I hope my experience will help others who panic when this happens, not to blame the software. AnyDVD was recommended to me by ALL of the techies I work with and they swear by it, so even though my first kneejerk reaction was to blame the software, just taking time to check out the error report, even though it was written in Einsteinean mathematics....LOL...studying it carefully seemed to be telling me that the blanks were the "illegal discs", NOT the actual movie I was trying to copy. After all, why would the software bother to even create the image, if it was "illegal", then refuse to burn it? It just didn't make sense to me. Blessings to you all.

OK locoeng,
Let me see if I can answer your questions.
Yes, downloading AnyDVD to run in the background with nero, which was already on my computer, was a first time thing for me. I have never tried to make copies of DVDs before.
Secondly, yes, I noticed that burning DVDs is hard on the computer. I find I can do nothing else while I am burning. I will do all the tests you recommended though, even though the problem seems to be sorted out. One just never knows. I have had one more BSOD since I bought the new blanks, so I think there is still a "spanner in the works" (South Africanism for "problem"), so I think it will be prudent just to run all the tests suggested in this forum. By the way, even though I am a South African, I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. Please forgive my "isms" when I write. :) By the way, I printed out the error report from Microsoft too, as well as the one I got from anyDVD and it seems to affirm what you say. I think I might be having a heat problem to a lesser degree too. I have experienced the DSOD twice now, but it doesn't seem to have damaged my computer at all. I have almost 6,000 songs in iTunes, and even though I have backed them all up, I would hate to have to redo everything if my computer does "peg" (die) on me, so I am going to follow all the suggestions on this forume thread and I will keep you posted. Thank you, once again.

Glad you got it sorted...but if I were you I'd put the Memorex media away and run. BTW, why do you need DL media? Most movies can easily be put onto a SL disc with little or no compression...especially when removing things you don't need such as extra audio tracks, subtitles, menus and special features.

Glad you got it sorted...but if I were you I'd put the Memorex media away and run. BTW, why do you need DL media? Most movies can easily be put onto a SL disc with little or no compression...especially when removing things you don't need such as extra audio tracks, subtitles, menus and special features.
I recommend Sony media with Accucore or Verbatim media. And not so fast with the compression idea. Some movies are larger and do require more than a little compression, so people like to have good quality. Although I never use DL media myself, SL seems to have good enough quality for me.

I recommend Sony media with Accucore or Verbatim media. And not so fast with the compression idea. Some movies are larger and do require more than a little compression, so people like to have good quality. Although I never use DL media myself, SL seems to have good enough quality for me.
Good afternoon to you DB,
Thank you for taking time to answer my posts. My appreciation knows no bounds. The thing with me is this - I'm a bit of a perfectionist, much to my poor husband's displeasure, as he is the exact opposite (he loosens me up and I tighten him up, so we balance each other nicely), so I like things to be done just so. Also, I don't know how to do the compression. I have even been told that you can put a whole DVD onto an ordinary CD. Although I can't, for the life of me, understand how that would work. The DVDs I am copying are all more than 3 hours long and I don't think they would compress, would they? One is a wonderful 3 hour version of the Gospel of John. You want a copy?

I had to smile when you told locoeng to "not so fast with the compression" bit. LOL But locoeng has been extremely helpful to me, so go easy on him. :)

DB, I loved your signature at the end of your post to me. I cannot imagine what Cancer must be like, but I just loved your realistic comment. Should I never get to meet you here on this earth, I know I will see you in Heaven one day. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it. I hope the wonderful moderators won't mind either. I will pray for you. My signature might go something like this, and I might just put it up if I may. "Jesus invested His life in you. Have you shown any interest?"

Hello again locoeng,
Thank you for all your help. I found that the "bad" blanks work on my husband's computer, which he bought about three months ago. He is using SonicMedia as his software and the trial version of anyDVD in the background. His computer takes MUCH longer than mine does though, to burn the discs. My computer takes about 35 minutes to create the image for a 3 hour movie and about 30 minutes to make the copies. His computer takes about 3/4 hour to create the image for the same movie and more than an hour to burn the disc. ???????? Lots of questions....... But I am not really doing this to back-up my huge DVD collection. I only want to make copies of movies I can use in my Christian ministry, so the small issues I encounter don't really bother me too much. Once again, thank you and thanks to everyone else who has taken time to help me.

Good afternoon to you DB,
Thank you for taking time to answer my posts. My appreciation knows no bounds. The thing with me is this - I'm a bit of a perfectionist, much to my poor husband's displeasure, as he is the exact opposite (he loosens me up and I tighten him up, so we balance each other nicely), so I like things to be done just so. Also, I don't know how to do the compression. I have even been told that you can put a whole DVD onto an ordinary CD. Although I can't, for the life of me, understand how that would work. The DVDs I am copying are all more than 3 hours long and I don't think they would compress, would they? One is a wonderful 3 hour version of the Gospel of John. You want a copy?

I had to smile when you told locoeng to "not so fast with the compression" bit. LOL But locoeng has been extremely helpful to me, so go easy on him. :)

DB, I loved your signature at the end of your post to me. I cannot imagine what Cancer must be like, but I just loved your realistic comment. Should I never get to meet you here on this earth, I know I will see you in Heaven one day. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it. I hope the wonderful moderators won't mind either. I will pray for you. My signature might go something like this, and I might just put it up if I may. "Jesus invested His life in you. Have you shown any interest?"
Thank you for the kind words, but I am not Jimmy V. Jimmy V refers to Jimmy Valvano. Jimmy Valvano died from cancer, but before he did, he set up the V Foundation. The V Foundation is a charitable organization dedicated to saving lives by helping to find a cure for cancer. The foundation seeks to make a difference by generating broad-based support for cancer research and by creating an urgent awareness among all Americans of the importance of the war against cancer. The V Foundation performs these dual roles through advocacy, education, fundraising and philanthropy. Motto of the foundation is “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up”. The Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic is held every year in August at Prestonwood Country Club in Cary, North Carolina. Every year, four men's college basketball teams compete in the "Jimmy V Basketball Classic". Recently, a women's game was added to the line-up. With each telecast of the event, ESPN plays videos of Valvano's life, basketball career, and ESPYs speech. To date, The V Foundation has raised over $60 million for cancer research.

I had to smile when you told locoeng to "not so fast with the compression" bit.

Indeed...some people. My original statement says "MOST", not all. LOL

I've backed up The Holy Bible KJV and Old Testament and it was unable to be compressed at all, the only way to back it up was to DL media. Additionally the running time of the movie doesn't have as much to do with how much will fit onto one SL disc as much as the actual size of the image being produced.

I found that the "bad" blanks work on my husband's computer, which he bought about three months ago.

This is why brands such as Memorex aren't recommended...while they work for some people on some burners, they do not work for all. When choosing media it is important to use a quality brand such as Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden because they seem to yeild the highest degree of compatability amonst players and burners...as well as a higher success rate. With that being said, not all users have good luck with the listed recommended brands and have more success with Memorex and the likes. The most important thing with media is to find what works for you and stick with it and the guess work will be minimal.

His computer takes about 3/4 hour to create the image for the same movie and more than an hour to burn the disc. ????????

This sounds like a DMA issue...see here.

Back