• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

standalone player Oppo 983H scores perfect 100 benchmark for decoding and processing

I mean one of the reasons I'm not ready to go HD-DVD or BD is because of the costs involved and this thing costs as much as a BD player.

Yeah, but take a look at the price of mid to high-end Denon dvd players.

The lack of most 2.0 standalone profile players with the exception of the PS3 would make me balk at Blu-ray anyway.

And when people are buying $50-$90 standalone dvd players they are comparing apples to oranges (they are mostly inferior junk).
With Oppo you are getting what you paid for (really good price/performance ratio, and a region free dvd player that can convert PAL<>NTSC). Find me a cheap dvd player that does everything that the Oppo does as well as the Oppo does. You're not going to find one in the same price range.

Anyway, rumour has it that the next Oppo will be a Blu-ray player. I'll definitely be taking a close look at that one if/when it comes out.

Last edited:
Yeah, but take a look at the price of mid to high-end Denon dvd players.

The lack of most 2.0 standalone profile players with the exception of the PS3 would make me balk at Blu-ray anyway.

And when people are buying $50-$90 standalone dvd players they are comparing apples to oranges (they are mostly inferior junk).
With Oppo you are getting what you paid for (really good price/performance ratio, and a region free dvd player that can convert PAL<>NTSC). Find me a cheap dvd player that does everything that the Oppo does as well as the Oppo does. You're not going to find one in the same price range.

Anyway, rumour has it that the next Oppo will be a Blu-ray player. I'll definitely be taking a close look at that one if/when it comes out.

It does appear to be amazing. Yes, for high-end DVD players and taking cost into account it does appear to be the cat's a**. On the downside - as far as I am aware - it lacks DivX capability. Now, seriously, we're talking an insanely amazing DVD player with amazing quality and yet no DivX? HUGE mistake, IMHO.

I'd love to see the capabilities of the 983H plus DivX support and the ability to plug in memory cards from cameras.

My $40-$50 players do all I need..........they play DVD's.

My $40-$50 players do all I need..........they play DVD's.

Not with 1080p upscaling that correctly handles all source material (especially improperly flagged source material)--nor do they come close to offering the audio features or performance quality

Last edited:
On the downside - as far as I am aware - it lacks DivX capability. .

http://gizmodo.com/366222/lightning-review-oppo-dv+983h-1080p-up+converting-dvd-player

"Even better than the 981, this DV-983H adds in a USB port in the back so you can play back DivX/XviD files off of a USB drive directly, without having to burn movies/TV Shows onto a disc first."

I don't see DIVx mentioned on the official website. However, if 983H plays XviD then it should also play DivX. I would imagine the reason for not mentioning DivX might be due to not wanting to pay for licensing. So this is not a DivX certified player. The Oppo 981 is a DivX certified player.

Edit: I have had confirmation that the 983H does indeed play DivX. However, there appears to be a stretching issue with aspect ratios of 2.35:1. Possibly a firmware update in the future may correct that. I'm also told fiddling with zoom settings on your television may help.

Last edited:
Not with 1080p upscaling that correctly handles all source material (especially improperly flagged source material)--nor do they come close to offering the audio features or performance quality

They play ALL of my DVD's (originals and copies). That's why I purchase a DVD player.

They play ALL of my DVD's (originals and copies). That's why I purchase a DVD player.

Especially with progressive scan, there's a difference between merely playing dvds and playing them properly (and it's typically a pass/fail scenario, with some borderline results):

http://69.64.68.156/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

So, again, your $50 player does not handle 1080p upscaling that correctly handles all source material (especially improperly flagged source material)--nor do these players come close to offering the same audio features or performance quality

Last edited:
http://gizmodo.com/366222/lightning-review-oppo-dv+983h-1080p-up+converting-dvd-player

"Even better than the 981, this DV-983H adds in a USB port in the back so you can play back DivX/XviD files off of a USB drive directly, without having to burn movies/TV Shows onto a disc first."

I don't see DIVx mentioned on the official website. However, if 983H plays XviD then it should also play DivX. I would imagine the reason for not mentioning DivX might be due to not wanting to pay for licensing. So this is not a DivX certified player. The Oppo 981 is a DivX certified player.

Edit: I have had confirmation that the 983H does indeed play DivX. However, there appears to be a stretching issue with aspect ratios of 2.35:1. Possibly a firmware update in the future may correct that. I'm also told fiddling with zoom settings on your television may help.

Well, this definitely changes things. Maybe I'll wait a bit until the price drops a little [hopefully]. Generally, I purchase DVD players on sale so I never pay full price and I've been happy most of the time.

Back