• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"Planet Earth" ...many problems...latest version of AnyDVD

drakester

I am running the latest version (6.3.1.7). Now, I have not been ripping any dvd's with this particular PC (it's a new build), so, perhaps all I need to do is reinstall? I am a fully registered, paid-up user of AnyDV

But this problem is weird and I've never encountered it before.

The dvd is "BBC Video: Planet Earth, disk #2, narrated by David Attenborough"

IF the dvd is in the drive during boot-time, Windows XP will not boot at all. It gets stuck and freezes.

IF I insert the dvd after Windows XP has booted, then AnyDVD says, "Scanning the disk...please wait" or something to that effect. However.... no info is shown in the status window for that drive. It says, "No disk inserted in drive E:". If I then try to navigate to the drive via Windows Explorer, then Windows Explorer crashes. I cannot even ctrl-alt-del and exit the process, because if I do that, Windows crashes and I have to hit the power button.

If I run CloneDVD, it crashes and I cannot ctrl-alt-del and exit the process either. Instead, I have to hit the power button.

This is weird and makes me think the dvd has some kind of software on it that interferes with Windows.

It stops my Operating System cold.... any ideas?

I am running Avast anti-virus, BitDefender Anti-virus, Data Execution Prevention, and I also regularly run Ad-Aware, so basically I highly doubt there is any trojan or virus on my PC as some have suggested in other threads. Also, as long as I don't have Planet Earth in the drive, I seem to be ok...

Is this some kind of bad-a** copy protection ?

just wondering why you have 2 anti virus programs running on your pc.?

That would create a problem for starters.

DVD may be HD - are you HD ready?

This particular DVD is available on the web as HD and the site notes include this notice:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This is high-definition disc. Unless it is described as a "combo" disc, it will only play in an HD DVD player. ;)

Do you have an HD drive? It is quite possible that Windows is attempting to read this thing with standard properties and goes off into the woods instead. :confused:

Is there any such text on the DVD itself or the box referring to the required environment?

It also sounds like he might have the optical drive set as the first boot drive in the BIOS.

I di too but don't have this issue what does the boot device set to boot first have to do with a running system?

The OP said that if the disk is in the drive the system will not boot, is it looking to the optical drive for an operating system? Just a thought?

The OP said that if the disk is in the drive the system will not boot, is it looking to the optical drive for an operating system? Just a thought?

You are right missed that sorry.

I suggest to not run CloneDVD2 and create a log file using AnyDVD's magic and upload the full zip as well.

This particular DVD is available on the web as HD

It's available as both a regular dvd box set and in HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats.

The OP has the regular dvd set.

Last edited:
just wondering why you have 2 anti virus programs running on your pc.?

I agree. Running two antivirus programs concurrently is not a good idea.

By the way, in all of my systems the optical drives are set to boot first before my hard drives. When dvd movies are in my optical drives, the OS still boots.

1. Use Anydvd 6.4.0.0: click http://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD6400.exe

You may need to reboot after installing if prompted to do so.

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

3. If you use DVDShrink, Nero Recode, or programs that generally can't handle structural protections, right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into whatever program you want. This is an important step if the original disc contains structural protection.

You don't need to do this if you own Clonedvd or are planning to make a backup with Clonecd.

4. Use the latest Clonedvd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=84511&postcount=1

5. Follow the steps from this link in order: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (follow them step by step)

If you're using +R DL blank discs, I recommend using Clonecd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

6. If you still have problems, then . . .

A)
a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"
n) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

B) State the full a)error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

C) Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5091 to see if your question has already been answered

Last edited:
"By the way, in all of my systems the optical drives are set to boot first before my hard drives. When dvd movies are in my optical drives, the OS still boots."

And that should work fine, it does not find an operating system and moves to the next drive, but if it reads some crap it doesn't like and stops was my thought. Maybe not?

And that should work fine, it does not find an operating system and moves to the next drive, but if it reads some crap it doesn't like and stops was my thought. Maybe not?

I find the likelyhood of this happening with BBC dvds to be minimal, but I suppose it's possible. It wouldn't be that the drive doesn't like the dvd, but tries to execute some file on the disc at bootup (and I do find that to be an unlikely scenario, but I suppose that's remotely possible). I bought the dvd box set for my parents by the way. It's a great series. I also own the series in HD-DVD, but the extras are not present (on either the HD-DVDs nor the Blu-rays).

Last edited:
I find the likelyhood of this happening with BBC dvds to be minimal, but I suppose it's possible. It wouldn't be that the drive doesn't like the dvd, but tries to execute some file on the disc at bootup (and I do find that to be an unlikely scenario, but I suppose that's remotely possible). I bought the dvd box set for my parents by the way. It's a great series. I also own the series in HD-DVD, but the extras are not present (on either the HD-DVDs nor the Blu-rays).

The fact that it boots normally when the disk is not present is why I went down that path.

I too have the series on HD-DVD and enjoy it a lot.

The fact that it boots normally when the disk is not present is why I went down that path.

I suppose it probably wouldn't hurt to rule that possibility out. (However, I have requested that a friend who also has options to boot first with optical drives to put a Planet Earth dvd into his computer and boot. No issues . . . I rarely find executables on BBC discs, nor .bat files, that would confuse anything with respect to bootups)

IF the dvd is in the drive during boot-time, Windows XP will not boot at all. It gets stuck and freezes.

Actually, this is fairly simple to diagnose with respect to Anydvd. After talking to Spanky, I realized . . .

Just do this:

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Ensure the Planet Earth dvd is in your drive and reboot

Still have problems? If yes, then the problems you're experiencing have nothing to do with Anydvd.

Last edited:
thanks guys. I appreciate the outpouring of help and information. However, today slysoft released a new version of AnyDVD, so first I'm going to try that out and see what happens. Then, if still no luck, I will follow Webslinger's recommendations (with the exception of the beta version of AnyDVD, b/c the latest version appears to be later than 6.3.1.8).

This is the first significant problem I've ever had. AnyDVD has been a real lifeline for me, and allowed the backup of dvd's that otherwise would now be gone. I love it and think it's one of the best-designed software apps for the PC. I couldn't imagine being without it. I'm thinking this problem is connected to this particular PC which like I said has not copied protected DVD's before. It may even be connected to the DVD drive itself not being compatible with the particular DVD. I have not attempted other protected DVDs other than Planet Earth, so that would be a worthwhile experiment to make.

The two anti-virus progs get along. I am not sure I completely trust Avast yet, so I wanted additional assurance. Bitdefender is free if u use last yr's version, and is the highest rated anti-virus by Consumer Reports. Now, I thought of a potential conflict, and disabled both prior to running CloneDVD. I often disable them whenever I'm playing a game in order to get better performance. One of these days I will decide on keeping one or the other, but I haven't made a choice yet. Probably Bitdefender b/c it has an easier and simpler interface. Avast options are difficult to navigate and a little confusing.

I will check the bios to see whether it is set to check the CD drive for booting, but it is weird that Windows would start up (from the hard drive), then freeze just because Planet Earth is in the DVD drive. Pop the DVD out, and it boots up fine like normal.

My Planet Earth is not an HD disk, and is an original DVD (not a copy), and looks to be in very good condition (no dust/smears/oil).

However let me try these various recommendations out and I will get back to you in time. Thanks again for the info.

Ok guys, the latest version of AnyDVD (released today) worked 100% no problem.

I was running BOTH antiviruses just for fun, AND playing Scrabulous online in the background, while CloneDVD did its job. NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I was tempted to also play a video game at the same time, but then I thought, this might be going too far. Hubris?

Basically slysoft has a very intelligent programmer who apparently is aware of whatever is going on in the copy protection world... whatever it was that he did...he fixed AnyDVD ...

Kudos to slysoft... they win again...

It may be that the fact that Anydvd no longer uses the Windows filesystem helped you, but really with respect to protection, there's nothing on those Planet Earth dvds that's of interest. Much older versions of Anydvd handled Planet Earth perfectly fine. And many people have backed up those Planet Eath dvds on the day they were released with existing versions of Anydvd. The only thing on those discs is CSS, which is on almost everything by default. That's how much of a non-issue protection is on those dvds.

And again, running two antivirus programs concurrently is not a good idea (and can potentially lower security on your system especially if the two programs conflict with one another; and you may not know that such a situation is occurring).

Last edited:
By the way, in all of my systems the optical drives are set to boot first before my hard drives. When dvd movies are in my optical drives, the OS still boots.

I had a thought about this when the Sony root-kit fiasco happened. What is to stop a movie publisher from creating a bootable movie DVD? They could implement a DRM solution before AnyDVD, windows, & virus scan are even loaded. Most folks would never know. Talk about unethical.

Yes this seems a wee bit on the paranoid side but we've seen what depths they will sink to control our Fair Use of their perceived IP.

This is why I no longer allow booting from optical drives. I turn it on when needed and then back off. Plus how often do you really need to boot from an optical disc.

Sorry, not trying to hijack, just making an observation.

I had a thought about this when the Sony root-kit fiasco happened. What is to stop a movie publisher from creating a bootable movie DVD?

Good Lord, man! Don't give them any more ideas! :(

:D;)

But in all seriousness, that would use up a lot disc space I think. They would need to have some kind of proprietary OS running or something (use up disc space), and then they would need to use their own player software (which would also eliminate disc space) . . . Oh wait a minute :doh:

Last edited:
Back