• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Files vs ISO

Groo21

I'm currently just starting to backup my DVD collection with CloneDVD2 to disk. CloneDVD offers 2 options, DVD Files or ISO. Are there any pros or cons to doing either format? I imagine I'll do all my disks the same way once I've started.

CloneDVDmobile seems to be able to read DVD files (on hard disk), though once I've got DVD Files to hard disk, CloneDVD doesn't seem to be able to shrink them anymore if I wanted to burn them to DVD-5 or CD (though DVDshrink can). I'm guessing if I did ISO I could mount the ISO with clone Drive and CloneDVD would read it like a normal disk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

CloneDVDmobile seems to be able to read DVD files (on hard disk), though once I've got DVD Files to hard disk, CloneDVD doesn't seem to be able to shrink them anymore

:confused:

Just select "dvd-5" near the quality bar in Clonedvd. That will compress files to fit on a normal single layer disc.

When ripping, it's generally best to select "dvd+/-R DL" near the quality bar in Clonedvd to ensure compression does not occur. Then use a third party program such as dvdShrink to compress. You'll end up with better picture quality that way.

once I've got DVD Files to hard disk, CloneDVD doesn't seem to be able to shrink them anymore if I wanted to burn them to DVD-5 or CD (though DVDshrink can). I'm guessing if I did ISO I could mount the ISO with clone Drive and CloneDVD would read it like a normal disk.

If you can't compress them further from the HDD with CloneDVD then the disc must already be within the size of a DVD-5. All you have to do is browse to the folder that the DVD files are located and then select DVD-5 for the size and if it's larger it will then re-rip and transcode (compress) the files. There's no difference in how it functions as compared to directly ripping from the DVD drive. That said, Webslinger is right and there is other software can do a better job at compressing/transcoding/re-encoding (ie DVD Shrink, Nero Recode, DVD Rebuilder) once you've ripped the disc to your HDD as a DVD DL.

Unless you wish to keep an archive of movies and want to mount them and view them later I really don't see a need for ripping to ISO. It's nice that it keeps everything as one single file on your HDD but other than that for normal use I just don't see the need for ripping to an ISO image. It takes longer with CloneDVD, too, as compared to just ripping the files.

If you can't compress them further from the HDD with CloneDVD then the disc must already be within the size of a DVD-5.

Unless, of course, "dvd-/+r DL" is constantly being selected near the quality bar in Clonedvd when attempting to compress instead of "dvd-5". I was actually wondering whether that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Unless, of course, "dvd-/+r DL" is constantly being selected near the quality bar in Clonedvd when attempting to compress instead of "dvd-5". I was actually wondering whether that wasn't the case.

Right. When I originally use CloneDVD to rip the "DVD Files" to the Harddrive, I used the dvd-/+ DL to get 100% quality. When I restart CloneDVD and open the files I just ripped, it doesn't give an option for "quality".

I'll take a look at using DVDshrink in this case instead.

Thanks.

Right. When I originally use CloneDVD to rip the "DVD Files" to the Harddrive, I used the dvd-/+ DL to get 100% quality. When I restart CloneDVD and open the files I just ripped, it doesn't give an option for "quality".

It should, provided you're not using the "write existing data" option, which you probably shouldn't be using. Select "Clone dvd" from the main menu in Clonedvd. Then select the video_ts folder file that Clonedvd created as the source. You should then be able to select "dvd-5" near the quality bar in Clonedvd.

Ah yes, I was using the "write existing data option"
Thanks.

Back