• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVDs with Angles?

Dallison1225

New to CloneDVD and AnyDVD. I have been backing up my DVDs and find Shrek for instance, has 3 angles at 1:29 hours:minutes long each.
Can I just select ONE? or do I need all three?
I use DVD+R DL but wonder if I will get better quality if I have less angles.

Also, If I used a DVD-R (not dual layer) would CloneDVD put Shrek (again, for instance) onto a 4.7Gig DVD? or should I stick to Dual Layer sizes?

Sure is cool technology. I'm reading through the forums, thanks. DAve

Also, If I used a DVD-R (not dual layer) would CloneDVD put Shrek (again, for instance) onto a 4.7Gig DVD? or should I stick to Dual Layer sizes?

Yes, CloneDVD will compress DVD9 to DVD5. (you must choose DVD5 for output size)
As for which to use, that would be your judgement call. If the backup fits on DVD5 with 80% compression and above, the output quality is generally good, and the disks are conciderably cheaper than DL.
Below 80%, DL might suit you better. (depending on what size screen you play back on).
Or.....you can split large movies with CloneDVD over 2 DVD5 disks while preserving menus.

They just put that there to confuse you. Any angle is ok.

Unless, you are backing up Star Wars the different angles are different languages for the opening. I chose the wrong one and got the opening in German instead of English.

They just put that there to confuse you. Any angle is ok.

The different angles may appear to be the same, but they're not. You will eventually get to a scene where there are multi angles to choose from, and the ones that you have chosen will be the only available to you on your backup.
Watching the compression bar, and checking and unchecking the different angles will give you an idea of how much space they take up.

Dallison1225,
The three angles do not really hold the same amount of data as ("1:29 hours:minutes long each") the real, main-movie titleset. That much data cannot fit onto one DVD DL original. But because of the way the DVD original is authored, they are linked to the one "true" title set, CloneDVD gives a readout of 1:29 hours:min for all three of the titlesets.

When you get multi angle originals, make it easy on yourself, burn it to a Verbatim DL backup media. Or you could split the original onto two separate SL backup media but you must split each of the 3 angles at exactly the same chapter for this to work. I have done splits like this often and it works fine.

But as sneakers stated, the Star Wars angles are an exception. You must know what angle is which language (and then eliminate the angles that are not your language) because the angles are only a false "5 minutes" long (even though CloneDVD shows them as the same length as the main movie TS) BUT they don't have the same chapter stops as the movie title set. Wacky DVD authoring! And there may be some other movies, now or in the future, that use angles in the same way as the six latest SW's releases. But it is rare that the angles don't have the same chapter stops as the "true" movie titleset.

So again ... easiest method is to backup to DL media. And CloneCD rather than CloneDVD does a real nice job of this.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
Dallison1225,
The three angles do not really hold the same amount of data as ("1:29 hours:minutes long each") the real, main-movie titleset. That much data cannot fit onto one DVD DL original.

This being said, confirms what I have stated, that all the title sets (or angles if you prefer) can "generally" be put on a DVD5 with little quality degration.
I realize that there are exceptions, but I feel few titles have enought multi angle scenes, to increase file size conciderably.

sockeye,
What you say should be correct. I never compress so I can't attest to your theory. The CloneDVD readout of "movie play times" (I would much rather a readout in GB or MB) for multiple angle TS's show an impossible amount of data on the original. The compression meter shows a way unacceptable level of compression but I suspect what you see is all false and that the quality of the DVD5 backup would be acceptable ... for those who compress.

Whisperer

Last edited:
Back