• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Deja vu discussion

Those who are saying they can't backup Deja Vu are not imagining things or forgetting something or using bad media or hardware or selecting the wrong video stream. This movie is different from others. I have tried many different programs and combinations of programs to get a movie that would play correctly. I found only one solution that works, and it required both AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 from Slysoft.

Have AnyDVD 6.3.1.5 running in the system tray. Older versions of this program did not work for me. Insert the disc in the DVD drive. After AnyDVD finishes scanning, start CloneDVD2 2.9.1.5 and select the 2:06 stream. I took out the extra languages and subtitles, and picked DVD-DL for maximum quality. Tell it where you want your DVD files to go and when it finishes they will play just fine.

There is another program out there called CloneDVD. This program did not work for me. It must be Slysoft's CloneDVD, which they sometimes call CloneDVD2 and sometimes just CloneDVD, and I only tested it with the 2.9.1.5 version so this is the only one I know works.

For those who want to edit the movie before burning it (like to take out the bad language and the minute long long objectionable scene) you will need to combine all the .vob files into a single video file in order to not have audio/video glitches where the .vobs come together. Since CloneDVD inexplicably does not have an option for outputting the movie as single mpg2 file, you can open a "command" window (DOS window) and join the vobs into one file using the DOS copy command. The form looks like this, but what you type will depend on your file names. I always rename mine to make the typing easier:

copy /B 1.vob+2.vob+3.vob+4.vob+5.vob wholemovie.vob

You need the /B to tell it they are binary files or it will just try to make it a text file and you wind up with a tiny useless output file. If you always name your video files the same, you can make a batch file to do this for you. The command would be the same, but you would probably want to add a +6.vob and +7.vob in case more files are present on a different movie. Any that don't exist when you run the batch file will be ignored by DOS and so the extra entries won't hurt anything if they are not needed.

I do my editing with the DVD editing program from www.womble.com

Those who are saying they can't backup Deja Vu are not imagining things or forgetting something or using bad media or hardware or selecting the wrong video stream. This movie is different from others. I have tried many different programs and combinations of programs to get a movie that would play correctly. I found only one solution that works, and it required both AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 from Slysoft.

Actually quite a lot of people I have dealt with that did have issues did, in fact, select the wrong title to backup. One of them is the movie and the other one is the movie with cuts to behind-the-scenes clips while the movie is playing. People have had issues with this disc ever since it was released even using AnyDVD & CloneDVD because they didn't pay attention when they made their backup.

Title 1 - The movie
Title 2 - The movie + commentary and behind-the-scenes

If you remove the Extras and Title 1 and then backup Title 2 then you will be very unhappy with your backup.

Here is one of the threads about people having issues back in June 2007: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4938.

I do recommend using AnyDVD & CloneDVD or just the AnyDVD ripper but people need to pay attention when they make selective backups so that they aren't removing the wrong things.

Edit: In this specific case the disc isn't being read at all. Webslinger may be right that this is one of the UDF issue discs with Vista.

Last edited:
Those who are saying they can't backup Deja Vu are not imagining things

While what you wrote is interesting, Anydvd can handle this disc perfectly fine by itself, provided Anydvd ripper is used. Also with respect to editing, provided you rip first with Anydvd ripper or rip the appropriate title with Clonedvd, you can use Dvdshrink and other programs to edit without the need for joining .vob files. More importantly, however, what you've written here has absolutely no bearing on the issue the original poster, Zenophobe, is having, which is that disc can't be opened to be read/ripped possibly due to a UDF bug in Vista that affects Anydvd ripper and Clonedvd.

The original poster is using Vista. Provided the original poster is using the latest Slysoft updates, the original poster should try updating to Service Pack 1 of Vista. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=12975

Last edited:
More Deja Vu

To DrinkLyeAndDie:
I used AnyDVD to unlock the disc and then tried 4 different rippers on Title 1. With just AnyDVD and with every other ripper, the movie played with audio/video scrambling, dead frames that continued for many seconds with repeating sound, and behind the scenes video mixed in with everything else. This is Title 1 - the 2 hour and 6 minute one that is supposed to be just the movie without behind the scenes stuff. The same happened with Title 2 as well on a separate experiment. CloneDVD2 is the only program that could rip the movie properly after AnyDVD unlocked it. Even if someone did rip the wrong title or the entire disc, it should still play properly without being scrambled. That is why title selection seemed like it was not an issue to me.

To Webslinger:
AnyDVD did not work by itself for me. That's why I downloaded and installed CloneDVD which provided immediate success. The DOS copy command joins the vobs for free for those who don't have DVDshrink or whatever other editors don't need that. I need it with Womble so I assume others may like to know about it too. I put the information out there for people who could benefit from it, not for those who know they don't need it because they already have some other solution.

I disagree that my comments have no bearing on the original issue. Zenophobe had trouble with Deja Vu. Anyone trying to find help with this movie will find his question on a search like I did. They will read all the responses and comments like I did. The original post said nothing about Vista. (I am using Windows XP Pro with SP2) Zenophobe's question turns up first in the search, it is a perfect place for anyone who has a solution to problems ripping this movie. I did several nights of experimenting and based on my 10+ years of experience with video editing, I wrote the answer I wanted to read when I first read his post. There is a good chance someone else will be helped by it.

People of all different experience and skill levels are looking for information here. While I was looking for answers, I noticed a lot of impatient and demeaning answers from "experts" that contained more insults than information. There is no such thing as too much information when someone is beating his head against a wall. It is better for 100 people to skip over a paragraph they don't care about than for 1 person to not find the information he can benefit from.

The person is using Vista and very well may need the SP1. Also I thought linking to copetitive software was against the rules?

To Webslinger:
AnyDVD did not work by itself for me.

That's because you didn't use Anydvd ripper with this title.
That is, right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into whatever program you want. This is an important step if the original disc contains structural protection--and if you do not have/own Clonedvd.

That's why I downloaded and installed CloneDVD which provided immediate success.

The output from Anydvd ripper is exactly the same as a full disc uncompressed rip from Clonedvd. There is no difference. The only difference is that Clonedvd rips faster.

The DOS copy command joins the vobs for free for those who don't have DVDshrink

dvdshrink is freeware

I disagree that my comments have no bearing on the original issue.

Your comments, while perhaps well intentioned, have nothing to do with Zenophobe's issue. And what you're posting here is now tantamount to thread hijacking.

They will read all the responses and comments like I did.

Create a new thread. This is not your thread. It's the original poster's troubleshooting thread. You are not addressing Zenophobe's issue. Nothing you've written here has anything to do with Zenophobe's FileIO 0 f:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO problem. The disc can't be opened/read. And zenophobe is using Vista. There's a known Vista udf bug issue that affects Anydvd ripper and Clonedvd. What has anything that you've written have to do with resolving a FileIO 0 f:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO problem in Vista with Anydvd?

Actually, I'm just going to move your posts. :policeman:

Last edited:
Also I thought linking to copetitive software was against the rules?

Linking to commercial products that compete with Slysoft products is against the rules, but I'm not sure that video editing software really competes with Slysoft products.

Last edited:
To DrinkLyeAndDie:
I used AnyDVD to unlock the disc and then tried 4 different rippers on Title 1. With just AnyDVD and with every other ripper, the movie played with audio/video scrambling, dead frames that continued for many seconds with repeating sound, and behind the scenes video mixed in with everything else. This is Title 1 - the 2 hour and 6 minute one that is supposed to be just the movie without behind the scenes stuff. The same happened with Title 2 as well on a separate experiment. CloneDVD2 is the only program that could rip the movie properly after AnyDVD unlocked it. Even if someone did rip the wrong title or the entire disc, it should still play properly without being scrambled. That is why title selection seemed like it was not an issue to me.

I've never heard that only CloneDVD worked with AnyDVD's output of this film before. Yes, it makes use of ILVUs but there are other movies that have done the same. It's news to me that the other rippers were unhappy and I haven't heard of any issues with this disc in quite awhile.

As for the issues with the dead frames, repeating sound, etc, I haven't seen this but when I get a chance I'll see if I can duplicate this with a few third-party programs since I'm actually quite interested.

To Webslinger:

[...]

The original post said nothing about Vista. (I am using Windows XP Pro with SP2) Zenophobe's question turns up first in the search, it is a perfect place for anyone who has a solution to problems ripping this movie.

You are right. The person didn't mention using Vista but upon looking at the log files it shows that they are.

People of all different experience and skill levels are looking for information here. While I was looking for answers, I noticed a lot of impatient and demeaning answers from "experts" that contained more insults than information. There is no such thing as too much information when someone is beating his head against a wall. It is better for 100 people to skip over a paragraph they don't care about than for 1 person to not find the information he can benefit from.

Unfortunately, no matter what board you read you'll find what you refer to as "impatient and demeaning answers from "experts" that contained more insults than information." I'm far from a fan of it but it happens everywhere and the feelings and opinions of different people vary. A lot of people seem to take my statements overly seriously or as insults when I'm really not being overly serious or insulting. The written word can be misinterpreted very easily.

Of course people are looking for help and it's useful when people post new information but you also have to take into account that I am unaware of any posts concerning issues with Deja Vu when AnyDVD is used in... ages.

Someone reported a problem in December 2007 but the problem wasn't AnyDVD. Someone reported DNC had been updated to work with AnyDVD when dealing with Deja Vu in September 2007. Prior to that the issues were in June 2007. Do you understand why this new problem is surprising?

Last edited:
Apologies to All

To Webslinger:

Thank you for moving my discussion. I have no idea what "thread hijacking" is, but it sounds bad and I didn't mean to do it. I don't want to break any rules or bother anyone.

I will try the AnyDVD rip again since you are so sure it works. It may be that when I tried that before I still had the old trial version of AnyDVD installed that my nephew brought over. Looking for a newer version is what led me to the Slysoft website. I have already bought the registrations for AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 from Slysoft because they got my problem fixed and I always love to support folks who make good software that saves me time and gets the job done.

To DrinkLyeAndDie:

I didn't mean you at all when I wrote about the insulting answers. I think you give good answers and tips and you do it in a fair way. I appreciate your comments and thank you for them. I didn't list all the programs that failed me because I thought it might be against the rules, but I am glad I finally found something that works.

1. Use Anydvd 6.3.1.6 beta: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=92414&postcount=1

You may need to reboot after installing if prompted to do so.

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

3. If you use DVDShrink, Nero Recode, or programs that generally can't handle structural protections, right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into whatever program you want. This is an important step if the original disc contains structural protection.

You don't need to do this if you own Clonedvd or are planning to make a backup with Clonecd.

4. Use the latest Clonedvd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=84511&postcount=1

5. Follow the steps from this link in order: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (follow them step by step)

If you're using +R DL blank discs, I recommend using Clonecd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

6. If you still have problems, then . . .

A) a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

B) State the full a)error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

I will try the AnyDVD rip again since you are so sure it works. It may be that when I tried that before I still had the old trial version of AnyDVD installed that my nephew brought over.

What I posted in my previous response is a general outline of how to produce a backup.

It seems more likely to me that you would not have not tried using Anydvd ripper.
Many people attempt to load dvds directly into other programs with Anydvd running in the background. Some of these programs may be unable to handle Ripguard protected titles without the use of Anydvd ripper or Clonedvd. Step 3 from my previous post produces a full disc, uncompressed rip. Nothing is removed. This produces the same result as using Clonedvd and selecting "Clone dvd" from Clonedvd's main menus with "dvd +/-R DL" selected near the quality bar in Clonedvd.

The advantage to using Clonedvd is that you can remove unwanted titlesets, and Clonedvd also rips faster than Anydvd ripper.

So, if you own Clonedvd, it doesn't make any sense to be using Anydvd ripper.

Last edited:
To DrinkLyeAndDie:

I didn't mean you at all when I wrote about the insulting answers. I think you give good answers and tips and you do it in a fair way. I appreciate your comments and thank you for them. I didn't list all the programs that failed me because I thought it might be against the rules, but I am glad I finally found something that works.

I didn't take offense and I was actually just using myself as an example. :) I know for a fact that some people dislike me because of my apparent attitude. I think I'll survive. :p

Back