• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Informations regarding AnyDVD HD and its capabilities

hifibuff

Hi all,

I have been a long time Home Theater and audio buff(hence the nickname;-)) and in this universe, dedicated players for every formats are the general rule.

However, I am now trying to make everything converge on my upcoming PC rig.
I would like to be able to:
-play all my DVDs whatever their region code might be, even the ones coded with the infamous RCE.
-play all my HD-DVDs, which is probably a given since they are not region-coded.
-play all my Blu-ray(I have B and A region-coded discs)

Will AnyDVD HD allow me to do ALL that? Does it always need to decode the discs before playing them, is it long? Do I need a player beside anyDVD(HD), or is the player included??

Just to help you understand the situation, I have a 30" Samsung monitor(305T) which has a resolution of 2560x1600 and which requires a dual-link DVI connection with the graphic card. I will be buying the LG GGW-H20L(it might be a European model, but there has to be the same burner elswhere with a different name : it writes blu-ray and plays blu-ray and HD-DVD).
I realise the screen is NOT hdcp-compatible but in the AnyDVD HD product sheet, it is specified that it will allow to play HD movies on non-hdcp compliant screens and video cards. How does it work? Does it require to rip the whole film before being able to actually play it with my non-hdcp compliant screen??

Thanks in advance for the helpful information you'll provide me with:)

P.S:eek:h, I almost forgot, I will be using Vista 64 ultimate, that is not a problem right?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have been a long time Home Theater and audio buff(hence the nickname;-)) and in this universe, dedicated players for every formats are the general rule.

However, I am now trying to make everything converge on my upcoming PC rig.
I would like to be able to:
-play all my DVDs whatever their region code might be, even the ones coded with the infamous RCE.
-play all my HD-DVDs, which is probably a given since they are not region-coded.
-play all my Blu-ray(I have B and A region-coded discs)

Will AnyDVD HD allow me to do ALL that? Does it always need to decode the discs before playing them, is it long? Do I need a player beside anyDVD(HD), or is the player included??

Just to help you understand the situation, I have a 30" Samsung monitor(305T) which has a resolution of 2560x1600 and which requires a dual-link DVI connection with the graphic card. I will be buying the LG GGW-H20L(it might be a European model, but there has to be the same burner elswhere with a different name : it writes blu-ray and plays blu-ray and HD-DVD).
I realise the screen is NOT hdcp-compatible but in the AnyDVD HD product sheet, it is specified that it will allow to play HD movies on non-hdcp compliant screens and video cards. How does it work? Does it require to rip the whole film before being able to actually play it with my non-hdcp compliant screen??

Thanks in advance for the helpful information you'll provide me with:)

P.S:eek:h, I almost forgot, I will be using Vista 64 ultimate, that is not a problem right?

you should be ok,as of now but no one knows about future movies, but you should give the trial a try and you dont need to rip the movie first

Yes, as bk1987 said, Anydvd HD should do everything you ask.

Just as a word of caution, if you buy a movie the day it comes out, it might not be able to play right away.
There is a server that anydvd connects to too download the encryption keys (only done once for that particular movie) that allow you to play movies. If you use a trial then this feature is not activated and you can only play movies that have the keys up until the date the version you downloaded was released.
i.e if your version was released Feb 2008, then any movie released after that will not be supported until you purchase the program.
Also, sometimes the studios institute a new set of encryption keys so that takes a few weeks in some cases.

Do I need a player beside anyDVD(HD), or is the player included??

AnyDVD (HD) does not play back the discs (although many around here wish it could). You will need a software player. The most commonly used one is PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra. There is another player by Arcsoft that others have had mixed results with. Personally, I use PowerDVD. It has its issues, but it's probably the best there is right now. I haven't tried the latest patch with AnyDVD running, becuase I usually play from mounted ISOs. Can anyone confirm that the latest build of PowerDVD will work with AnyDVD running?

Thank you all for the information. I am starting to get a better grasp of what is/does AnyDVD HD.
One thing I am not quite sure I understand though, is how it cicrumvents the HDCP issue with non-compatible hardware (cards, screen...). Does it display the picture in its full 1080p glory regardless of these HDCP compatibility troubles??
Oh, and can someone be so kind as to confirm that RCE DVDs DO work on a non-region 1 player with AnyDVD?

Last edited:
Oh, and can someone be so kind as to confirm that RCE DVDs DO work on a non-region 1 player with AnyDVD?

Sure. Just avoid drives from Panasonic (Matsushita) or OEM clones (Sony BD), as they refuse sector reading on region mismatch.

Thank you all for the information. I am starting to get a better grasp of what is/does AnyDVD HD.
One thing I am not quite sure I understand though, is how it cicrumvents the HDCP issue with non-compatible hardware (cards, screen...). Does it display the picture in its full 1080p glory regardless of these HDCP compatibility troubles??

Hi I have the same questions too! After about 4 weeks from purchasing my BD drive I finally got to watch a movie using a non complient graphics card (7900GT) but can only playback using the analogue (HDTV) output from the 7900GT the picture is good but i was led to believe i could playback over a digital conection without the need for a HDCP graphics card or display.I understand that ANY DVD HD decrypts the disk 'on the fly' so the graphics card sees un-encryted disk but I dont get how ANY DVD HD works thurther down the chain to overcome the travesty of HDCPand in my case does not seem to do.
I am using 'PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra'(latest build) and would also welcome any input on this subject.
The stangest thing in this is that the projector im using (Panasonic PTA900) is HDCP complient and yet Im guessing because the 7900GT is not this breaks down the chain ,so where does the claims of 'ANY DVD HD' kick in ?
regards
B

Hi I have the same questions too! After about 4 weeks from purchasing my BD drive I finally got to watch a movie using a non complient graphics card (7900GT) but can only playback using the analogue (HDTV) output from the 7900GT the picture is good but i was led to believe i could playback over a digital conection without the need for a HDCP graphics card or display.
You can, but you might need to update your graphic card driver.

So, with up-to-date graphic drivers and a non HDCP-compliant hardware - be it the graphic card or the screen - I can watch "on the fly" blu-ray discs and HD-DVDs in full 1080p without any picture quality loss over a DVI connection with the help of AnyDVD HD.
Is that statement correct?

Last edited:
So, with up-to-date graphic drivers and a non HDCP-compliant hardware - be it the graphic card or the screen - I can watch "on the fly" blu-ray discs and HD-DVDs in full 1080p without any picture quality loss over a DVI connection with the help of AnyDVD HD.

Yes this is correct. In fact I do this on one of my PC's at home. My dell monitors dont support HDCP, but anydvd allows me to view 1080 over DVI.

The biggest issue with HD Media at the moment is to do with blu-ray and playing back from hard drives. If you are happy to play directly from the optical drive rather than rip to hard disk then you will have no worries. It only gets tricky if you want to play back from hard drive.

In my case this does not seem to be the case I have the latest drivers installed and still canot play over DVI.
The Cyberlink Advisor tool tells me that i have a digital connection but without HDCP .This the other strange thing that unless i connect via the analogue connection BD advisor also states that my Driver is incompatable, go back to analogue and all is fine.
Could it be that Cyberlink are getting wise to 'Any DvD HD' as i believe the latest build does not now allow playback of ripped BD from your harddrive without reverting to a previous build of 'Power DVD'
I hope that Slysoft can keep one step ahead of Cyberlink and allow us to use are bought and paid for equipment that is not out of date mearly 'incompatible' trying to force us to upgrade perfectly good graphics cards and monitors,it makes my blood boil.....!!:bang:
Anyway before i go off on one I hope that sollutions can be found to these unnesasary problems and i hope you have more luck than me.
regards
B

Hey Bandyaker, the message has nothing to do with cyberlink detecting anydvd.

I think you're SOL. I have the 7950GX2 which is supposed to be HDCP capable, but when I do the test I get the exact same message. I contact both Nvidia, and Cyberlink with little result. I sent them all the info they wanted and all I got was a "it SHOULD work", which doesn t really solve the problem of it not working. Eventually I just got a ATI 2600xt.

As for your driver, the 7900 is not HDCP capable so its drivers cannot support something it does not have. Sorry. ANYDVD HD is your best bet for solving your problems.

Hey Bandyaker, the message has nothing to do with cyberlink detecting anydvd.

I think you're SOL. I have the 7950GX2 which is supposed to be HDCP capable, but when I do the test I get the exact same message. I contact both Nvidia, and Cyberlink with little result. I sent them all the info they wanted and all I got was a "it SHOULD work", which doesn t really solve the problem of it not working. Eventually I just got a ATI 2600xt.

As for your driver, the 7900 is not HDCP capable so its drivers cannot support something it does not have. Sorry. ANYDVD HD is your best bet for solving your problems.

Im sorry im an old man what does SOL mean?
I know the 7900GT is not HDCP thats why I have 'ANY DVD HD' but this only half solves the problem ie I can only watch using the 'Analogue' out .The problem therefore is because Cyberlink BD advisor detects an 'Incompatable' Driver it wont even start playback over DVI-HDMI and this is with 'ANY DVD HD' running which is supposed to work over a digital connection aswellor so I thought .Cyberlink support is worse than useless i can only assume that they are swamped with other peoples enquiries and problems and XFX wernt much better ,these people dont seem to even read the question you ask just guess and hope for the best!!!:
Regards
B

Sol= Sh*t out of luck, sorry for being so crass. You're right, anydvd only removes the encryption, it won t do anything about the drivers.

I am assuming you're using the latest drivers off of Nvidias website. Also, this really isn t a issue of cyberlinks since it has nothing to do with their software, this is likely why you haven t heard back from them very promptly. The driver should work since it is the same one for my 7950 GX2 and it says its fine
The only thing I would suggest is to uninstall the driver and either use the default driver (if you have vista) or try an older version i.e. version 163.

Yes, with non HDCP compliant Hardware (Monitor and/or card), but you'll probably need a HDCP compliant graphics card driver (no problem for a 7900 card, just install a "not so old" version). This is probably only because PowerDVD checks first, if the driver can tell it, if HDCP is possible or not before it checks if HDCP is needed or not. With AnyDVD HDCP isn't required, so PowerDVD will play even if the driver says "no HDCP connection possible".

Hi thanks for the advise i will try an older driver later and see how we go.
My experience with Cyberlink is if you get a red blob on the 'Advisor' you get no thurther playing the disk .
When i connect using DVI a get a red blob! (169.21 Driver is incompatable).
I also get the red blob then on Video connection(Digital without HDCP).
Connect then using Analogue(169.21 OK!)
Video (analogue OK) Happy days!!!!! But no DVI?????
Need to try the driver swap ,il let you know!
As you say it should work.
regards
B

Hi thanks for the advise i will try an older driver later and see how we go.
My experience with Cyberlink is if you get a red blob on the 'Advisor' you get no thurther playing the disk .
When i connect using DVI a get a red blob! (169.21 Driver is incompatable).
I also get the red blob then on Video connection(Digital without HDCP).
Connect then using Analogue(169.21 OK!)
Video (analogue OK) Happy days!!!!! But no DVI?????
Need to try the driver swap ,il let you know!
As you say it should work.
regards
B

Ignore the 'Advisor', it makes red blobs where it shouldn't ('Advisor' assumes you don't have AnyDVD HD).

Hi .well i finally got somewhere but what a carry on this is .
Downgraded the driver to 163. no change.
I originally had duel veiw set up ,monitor for windows apps,surfing etc and projector for DVD/Tv .
To watch BD I have to revert to single display (just projector) which shuts down the monitor then i could watch BD over analogue.
Connect via DVI to projector as above (single display mode) Nothing!
So next unplug monitor single DVI link to projector and 'Bingo'.
BUT the picture is not as good as analogue, images have jagged edges and very noisy.
So is this common analogue better than DVI ?and having it set up like that is a pain in the wotnot.Will BD ever support Duel Veiw in the future ?
Could it be that i am not getting full res over DVI?
Could I support duel monitors if I connect my desk top monitor up via VGA?
oh so many questions!!
regards
B

Back