• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is BD+ the Ultimate Copy Protection Scheme?

mpgxsvcd

Is BD+ the Ultimate Copy Protection Scheme?

We have seen many companies proclaim that their protection scheme was “Unbreakable”(Think Microsoft with their Windows Media DRM). However, it always seems to be cracked wide open and usually sooner than later. So why is BD+ taking so long?

Is BD+ really the “Ultimate” protection? Is it undefeatable? Since most of the blu-ray players don’t have an internet connection I imagine that it is difficult to make changes to BD+ on the fly? Is that true? Is there anyway for them to change the encryption on the Disc if the protection scheme is cracked?

Does Windows have anything to do with BD+? Does Windows some how prevent the encryption from being broken?

Could the problem be that PowerDVD has some extra protection built in? For instance: PowerDVD could look at the file it is playing and say this should be a BD+ title and there is no BD+ protection on it now so PDVD will not play it?

Could it be that SlySoft has already broken it but they want to make sure that they can still crack it when updates are made to BD+? For example: if Slysoft says that BD+ is broken then the BD group could just keeping making updates to it to stop the decryption.

So what is the real deal with BD+? Is this the Iron Maiden of copy protection schemes?

So what is the real deal with BD+? Is this the Iron Maiden of copy protection schemes?

Yes, it is. We are all doomed.

attachment.php

(j/k)

Attachments

• fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Is there anyway for them to change the encryption on the Disc if the protection scheme is cracked?

This is why they introduced VM and BD+ for these cases as it is easier for them to impliment an new protection scheme if needed.

I do not see BD+ as the Ultimate Protection. It was touted as such to both scare the pirates and impress the Industry.

It has only been used by one studio and really hasn't been used for very long and not on that many releases so it's success really can't be judged at this point and I don't think Slysoft should rush to release a solution.

I think the real time to ask the this question would be this time next year.

Not going to do them a lot of good if the entire VM is emulated to not respond to the security checks and simply decrypts the streams instead. ;) Ultimate copy protection scheme? Give me a break. Any time you give the keys to the customer and tell them to only use them in the allowed manner your copy protection is a failure. Such was the case with AACS and such will be the case with any DRM related crap. In the end, the user has to decrypt it to be able to access the content. If the user has all the required stuff to decrypt it, well, guess what, it can be defeated.

Is BD+ really the “Ultimate” protection? Is it undefeatable?
No and no.

Is there anyway for them to change the encryption on the Disc if the protection scheme is cracked?
Time will tell, but I'll say no.

I
Does Windows have anything to do with BD+? Does Windows some how prevent the encryption from being broken?
No.

Could the problem be that PowerDVD has some extra protection built in? For instance: PowerDVD could look at the file it is playing and say this should be a BD+ title and there is no BD+ protection on it now so PDVD will not play it?
No. If BD+ is removed, you can use any software to play/process the video/audio on a disc.

Could it be that SlySoft has already broken it but they want to make sure that they can still crack it when updates are made to BD+? For example: if Slysoft says that BD+ is broken then the BD group could just keeping making updates to it to stop the decryption.
;)
No, implementing the BD+ VM from scratch without any documentation simply takes time.

So what is the real deal with BD+?
Security by obscurity. And getting money from Twentieth Century Fox.

Is this the Iron Maiden of copy protection schemes?
No. It is a pain to circumvent, but once it is broken (the BD+ VM re-implemented from scratch) IMHO it is broken for good.

I have no idea how the final BD+ crack is going to work but have a look at how AnyDVD removes AACS. The actual work is done on a remote server, so there is no way for the industry to find and revoke whatever key Slysoft has found, making it much harder to counteract it. Now imagine Slysoft doing the same for BD+, meaning instead of implementing the crack into AnyDVD it would connect to a server and only get the info necessary to decrypt the BD+ disc. I would think that would make it very difficult for the industry to counteract the crack since nobody would know how the crack actually works.

The actual work is done on a remote server, so there is no way for the industry to find and revoke whatever key Slysoft has found, making it much harder to counteract it..

Unless SamuriHL hacks Slysoft's server(s) and ruins it for everyone, just like he ruined . . . :D ;)

Are you claiming I have a history of....messing up perfectly good, useful programs or something? I might take offense to that...if it weren't so damn true. :bang:

Excellent!!

attachment.php

I have successfully hijacked this thread. When a mod hijacks a thread, it's a special event worth commemorating.

Now we can return to our regularly scheduled programing.

Is it broken yet?

Is it broken yet?

Is it broken yet?

Why isn't it broken yet?

Hey, Webslinger, is it broken yet?

Do you have any inside info?

Is it broken yet?

Is it broken yet?

Any news?

Slysoft sucks! Slysoft can't defeat BD+! They lied!

Is it broken yet?

Is it broken yet?

Attachments

• thread.jpg
    thread.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Hey web, do as I say not as I do sound familiar? :D :clap:

So, I was trying to explain the thing that James said above to my wife, who, oddly enough, finds this talk of encryption/decrption boring. This is what i told her when I explained why it is so important that BD+ is broken:

AACS without BD+ is like a locked closet with a really complicated key. Bluray player guy needs to use this key to open a closet full of files. But because the key is so freakin' complicated, it only works half the time. It's a laser key. Slysoft took an axe to the closet full of files, so now Bluray player guy can get them whenever he wants.

But then AACS hired BD+ guy. He's a tool.

BD+ is like a guy in front of a stack of files. The Bluray player is, again, the guy who wants files. Bluray player asks for files, BD+ says, "Not unless you have the key." He does this many times each second, which bugs the heck out of Bluray player guy, who needs the files quickly. Bluray player keeps showing his key and BD+ keeps giving him the files, but once in a while BD+ goes in to California DMV employee mode and decides not to give him the files because it is a day of the week that begins with a T.

Slysoft is the guy who comes in, shoots the BD+ guy, puts on his t-shirt that says "BD+ Guy," and gives all the files to the bluray player guy. At first Bluray player guys is suspicions, but Slysoft smiles, so it is ok.

Am I off on this analogy? :D

You should have just told your wife that BD+ is like your mother-in-law. You just want it gone and it's annoying as hell.

Back