• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Thread Hijacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude2063

Mod...Websl...

I had to look that one up. Thanks for educating me on that one though, honestly! I understood the words but still don't understand the point to it. Trolling? Are they serious? Rhetorical?

Internet Forums
Thread hijacking in internet forum communication is the act of steering a discussion off-topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.

While this can be an intentional act of trolling, it is often accidental - caused by participants in the discussion responding to a throwaway remark, thus taking the thread off at a tangent to the original subject matter. The results often provoke a feeling of resentment from the author of the original post.

Will I be given some kind of ransom if I did hijack the thread and gave it back unedited? Rhetorically speaking.

Come on now, my time is way more important and valuable than that!!!

P.S. What is the point to thread hijacking or trolling?

Internet Forums
Thread hijacking in internet forum communication is the act of steering a discussion off-topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.

Which is exactly what happened in the thread you posted in . . .

While this can be an intentional act of trolling, it is often accidental - caused by participants in the discussion responding to a throwaway remark, thus taking the thread off at a tangent to the original subject matter. The results often provoke a feeling of resentment from the author of the original post.

I never said you did it intentionally. Thread Hijacking does not have to be intentional.

What is the point to thread hijacking or trolling?

Thread hijacking and trolling are separate things. Trolls may (and tend to) thread hijack on purpose.

Trolls exist to be annoying, cause disturbances, etc. A lot of them are simply attention whores (visit forums and create a thread to see how many responses that thread can receive--or to see how shocking he or she can be). They make the life of mods more difficult. Also it's not uncommon for trolls to sign up to a customer support website, make up some story about a product not working properly, and then promote a competing product instead (basically, in the example I just gave, they can be shills).

Last edited:
This can happen intentionally or unintentionally and it can totally derail a thread that originally did have a point.

Trolling annoys people and can lead to arguments. The instigator tends to get childish pleasure from this.

Thank you for "just Moderating".

I was simply trying to help, that's all. I guess most people can't resist.

This forum has way too much testerone and too many Software Programmers on it/in it, whatever. Have a field day someone.
I'd bet that if there were more estrogen on here we wouldn't be having this discussion.

After reading the definition of it I see how one would assume that that was happening or the intention. However, in my defense, if I didn't know what is was then how would I have known? I know, how did you know I didn't know.

It was neither accidental nor intentional since I've never heard of it until now. This is the only Forum I visit and it's only when I have an issue with a specific title. With ADVD and CDVD it isn't very often either. Hat's off to those guys!!!

Anyway, I still don't see the point. Maybe that's old age kicking in???

After reading the definition of it I see how one would assume that that was happening or the intention. However, in my defense, if I didn't know what is was then how would I have known? I know, how did you know I didn't know.

No one is accusing you of being a troll.

And I thread hijack all the time here, but I am fairly careful about not doing it
in other people's troubleshooting threads when they are trying to get help.

It was neither accidental

Since thread hijacking occurred and since you are not a troll, one can conclude that it was accidental.

If you had posted, "Perhaps the OP (original poster) had subtitle transparency enabled and set to `0' in Anydvd" that would probably (although I am certain that situation did not apply) have been more helpful and diplomatic than attempting to argue with me in the middle of someone's troubleshooting thread.

Anyway, this thread as run its course. Thread closed. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back