• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can someone help me before I pull my hair out?

Ok, I have had this program for a while. These people don't seem to make it easy to update or purchase products. Everytime I get an update notification it takes me to a purchase website. Why don't they have an UPDATE link so you just click on it and it updates your current copy. I'm always scared its going to overwrite my purchased copy with a 21 day trial copy.

Then I find HD. So I want to see if I can get a trial on that. Of course there is no where (FAQs, forums, etc) which tells you how to do this. On the website when you click on AnyDVD HD it wont allow you to unclick AnyDVD (Regular) when trying to purchase just the HD. So after about 2 hours of googling, I find something tucked away on one of these threads that says you can just upgrade without having to purchase a whole new copy of both programs.

WHY ISNT THIS ON THE F$#@%NG Website??? Why do I have to take 2 hours to find this information.

I still couldn't find a way to test drive the upgrade, so I just assumed that the program would do what it said, as the original one actually works good.

Well now I have my BluRay player. BUT PowerDVD won't play my BluRay discs without the video constantly skipping. I tested it before I bought the damn thing but now when I run it again it says my video card needs to be upgraded!!!! This is a 3 month old card which is HDCP compliant.

So i read that AnyDVD HD will allow me to play this. I decide to see if it will give me a trial version so I can test this out.

But of course, Slysoft can't make anything easy now can they? I click on AnyDVD HD download and it takes me to a new page that has a download for AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD. So I try and download it. It goes through all the motions. Installs on my computer and then does nothing. I open it up, and it still says that it is AnyDVD, NOT ANYDVD HD!!!! No matter how many times I have tried to download it, I get the same thing. WHY CANT THEY HAVE A SEPARATE DOWNLOAD FOR THE HD VERISON!!!!!!!!????????

So I thought maybe this copy has both versions in it. So I click on the BluRay support and all the info in there is greyed out!!!

I decide to see if the issue was maybe because i had a copy of the original AnyDVD on my HTPC. I dowloaded it to an old computer which has no BluRay drive in it and no older verion and it works just fine. It even has has the BluRay section un-greyed out and with clickable boxes.

WHAT THE F%&K????

I have spent the last 5 hours trying to play 1 movie. 1 F*^%$*NG MOVIE!!!

So my questions are these:

1) Should I just return the blu-ray and wait for technology to catch up so that this is not such an ardous, tortous process?

2) I swear to God if Have to replace my $150, past the return time, HDMI (One of a very few which are true HDMI compatible) video card....

3) Is there any program that will just play the F&*%$#NG movie?? Without having to edit registries and program in 15 different programming languages, and invent some kind of space-time continuum twisting device just to watch one movie? Please understand that I am not a programmer and do not know how to go in and edit code. Most of what you guys talk about around here flys right over my head.

Thank you for your patience in letting me vent. :disagree:Here is my current system:

CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
CPU (Hardware acceleration) : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (HDMI)
System Memory : 2048 MB
Operating System : Windows Vista
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (HDMI)
Graphics card video memory : 256 MB
Graphics Card Driver : 7.15.11.
Software Player : PowerDVD 7.3.3104a.0 Yes
Video Connection Type : Digital(with HDCP) Yes
Program version : 1.0.2418.0

Any help at all (including references in to a good therapist, after dealing with this stuff) is appreciated.

CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
CPU (Hardware acceleration) : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (HDMI)

A sad and weak CPU and GPU. This is something I am working on for my site but it's not complete just yet but it is a great start.

Remember there is a minimum specs and this is fine if you just want anydvd hd and powerdvd only.

CPU (Processor)

cpuspecskx0.png

System Memory (RAM)

512 MB or above, 1 GB is better 2+ gigs is recommended

How do I know my optical drive is compatible for Blu-Ray?

Below is a small set of drives that continues to grow. More drives will hit the market soon enough

BenQ BW1000

LG GBW-H10N

Sony BWU-100A

Panasonic SW-5582

Samsung SH-BO22

Lite-On LX-2B1S

Plextor BD writer PXB900a

Pioneer BDR-202

Pioneer BDC-S02

What graphics card do I need to play Blu-ray Disc titles on my computer?

It is recommended that you have one of the graphics cards with the following graphics processor unit (GPU) installed on your computer in order to play Blu-ray Disc:
  • Intel 965G, G33 graphics
  • nVidia: GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7800 GTX 512, GeForce 7900 GX2,
    GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950 GX2, GeForce 8400 series,
    GeForce 8500 series, GeForce 8600 series, GeForce 8800 series
  • ATI (minumum requirements): ATI Radeon X1600 series, X1800 series,
    X1900 series
  • ATI (recommended requirements): ATI Radeon HD 2400, 2600, 2900,
    3400, 3600, 3800 series

Graphic Card Memory:

We recommend having at least 256 MB of video memory to ensure the smooth playback of Blu-ray Disc titles 512 or above of course is better.

Video RAM

256 MB graphics card memory or above

Note: If you want to use digital output during Blu-ray Disc playback (through DVI or HDMI connection), make sure the graphics card is HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible. If your graphics card is not HDCP-compliant but with a DVI connector, you can use a DVI-to-VGA converter (or cable) to output the video in analog format. To determine whether your graphics card is HDCP-compliant, please visit the hardware manufacturer's Web site.

Display Devices

• HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compliant display (DVI, HDMI connections) for digital output
  • TV (composite, componet, S-Video) or computer monitor (VGA) for analog output

Operating Systems

Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed or Vista

Software to play on the PC

PowerDVD BD version. Note: An easy way to determine whether your version of PowerDVD supports Blu-ray Disc is to look for the Blu-ray Disc logo on the main screen of PowerDVD. If you don't see either of those logos, it is likely your version of PowerDVD doesn't support Blu-ray Disc title playback.

Or ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre™

ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre™ (VidaBox edition) [SOFT-ARCSOFT-HDBD] : $99.99 : Media Center & Home Theater PC / HTPC Systems - VidaBox - Home Entertainment Made Simple

Side Notes

Even though the minimum specs can play back there can or will be playback issues.

I'm always scared its going to overwrite my purchased copy with a 21 day trial copy.

That's impossible. Just download and update.

Just keep your license keys backed up if you're worried.

Then I find HD. So I want to see if I can get a trial on that.

You need to remove your Anydvd license key. Keep your license key safely backed up. Uninstall Anydvd. When asked, choose to not keep your license key info in your registry. Reboot. Then install. Then reboot again.

At this point you will be attempting the Anydvd HD trial. However, if you get the message "Your trial period has ended", you're out of luck.

Of course there is no where (FAQs, forums, etc) which tells you how to do this.

Actually, I've mentioned how to in the forums more than once. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=91459&postcount=3 for one example

On the website when you click on AnyDVD HD it wont allow you to unclick AnyDVD (Regular) when trying to purchase just the HD.

That's because Anydvd is included with Anydvd HD. AnydvdHD and Anydvd are the same download. The only difference is the license key for Anydvd HD unlocks all the features of the program.

So after about 2 hours of googling, I find something tucked away on one of these threads that says you can just upgrade without having to purchase a whole new copy of both programs.

WHY ISNT THIS ON THE F$#@%NG Website??? Why do I have to take 2 hours to find this information.

That information is on the website. click http://www.slysoft.com/purchase.html and scroll down

"Upgrade AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD

If you already own a standard AnyDVD license, you may upgrade here to AnyDVD HD. To upgrade, you will need your current AnyDVD serial number and the email address you used when you ordered your standard AnyDVD license.
Upgrade AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD EUR 30.00 "

The "Upgrade AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD" part is in blue and in all caps.

Well now I have my BluRay player. BUT PowerDVD won't play my BluRay discs without the video constantly skipping. I tested it before I bought the damn thing but now when I run it again it says my video card needs to be upgraded!!!! This is a 3 month old card which is HDCP compliant.

Read Charlie's response.

I open it up, and it still says that it is AnyDVD, NOT ANYDVD HD!!!!

That's because you have your Anydvd license key installed. You either have to remove it or install your Anydvd HD license key.

No matter how many times I have tried to download it, I get the same thing. WHY CANT THEY HAVE A SEPARATE DOWNLOAD FOR THE HD VERISON!!!!!!!!????????

Because they are the same download . . . The only difference is the license key being used.

Last edited:
Yes but...

Websters definition of Minimum:

1: the least quantity assignable, admissible, or possible
2: the least of a set of numbers; specifically : the smallest value assumed by a continuous function defined on a closed interval

Doesn't that mean that if you meet the minimum standards that it should at least work?

I mean I'm not looking to put open a movie theater, just watch a movie on HTPC. If I have the minimum standards shouldn't the thing at least function...minimally?

Skipping and jumping isn't working.

And also, before I purchased my Blu Ray drive I check the Cyberlink systems checker and it found my system was fine. A month later, when I finally purchased the drive and installed it, now my video card isn't good enough.

It may be a sad and weak system, but I don't have 1,000s of dollars (euros, etc) like you guys to throw at an HTPC. I spent a lot of time reviewing video cards in that price range because that was all I could afford and found reviews that said it was the best in its class for HDMI output.

Charlie said "Remember there is a minimum specs and this is fine if you just want anydvd hd and powerdvd only."

So does that mean that despite my weak system, if I upgrade to the PowerDVD ultimate or whatever, that I will be able to watch the BD without all the skipping?

If so, that is the answer to my long, frustrated and rambling post.

But from what I've read the main problem with skipping is that the video card is not HDCP compliant. But mine is. Am I missing something here?

As for the other stuff

"That's impossible. Just download and update"

But then follow with: "At this point you will be attempting the Anydvd HD trial. However, if you get the message "Your trial period has ended", you're out of luck. "

Impossible, but if I do and it doesn't work I'm out of luck. But again, why isn't this stuff in the instructions along with the download section?

I mean any retailer should know that when you sell a product like this that you should try to help those amongst the population that haven't been using computers since Wozniak and Jobs opened their garage door.

So, should I just get the HD version of AnyDVD and upgrade to PowerDVD ultra?

Will this solve my problem, or are you guys telling me I basically can't get BD without upgrading my video card as well? (The written word doesn't communicate inflection very well, so let me just say that I'm not trying to be a jerk with that question, I honestly am looking for help and an answer)

Thanks again for your responses.

Websters definition of Minimum:

1: the least quantity assignable, admissible, or possible
2: the least of a set of numbers; specifically : the smallest value assumed by a continuous function defined on a closed interval

Doesn't that mean that if you meet the minimum standards that it should at least work?

As long as it is just the OS and AnyDVDHD and PowerDVD only installed.

If you read my post thoroughly it is well explained I believe isn't it?

You will need powerdvd ultra yes and the card not to be rude but blunt has to be a piece of junk because the video card specs I posted earlier in my last post to you is from cyberlinks website so there upgrade advisor or whatever it is isn't reliable.

I hear prayer works sometimes :D

What movie is it that you're trying to play? Some blu-ray movies use way too much CPU, it's still not clear if it's PowerDVD's fault or the movie is just bloated as hell (Resident Evil: Extinction is one), especially with TrueHD audio.

Other than that, you just bought your card 3 months ago? Why didn't you get a at least a last gen card (8 series)? You can get them much cheaper than $150 and they help a lot with HD discs, your CPU will be able to play the stuff pretty well.

Or, you can just replace your CPU for a cheap Pentium Dual-Core (that's what I do) and overclock it, if your mobo allows it, but you'd probably not be comfortable with that, I guess.

Impossible, but if I do and it doesn't work I'm out of luck.

You're out of luck only with respect to testing the trial--if you get that message.

But again, why isn't this stuff in the instructions along with the download section?

When people download that file and install it, provided they haven't bought Anydvd and installed the Anydvd license key, they are automatically using the trial for Anydvd HD (which includes all the features of Anydvd as well). If you feel the website should be made clearer, then contact Slysoft. I don't work for nor represent Slysoft. click http://www.slysoft.com/contact.html

So, should I just get the HD version of AnyDVD

It would be cheaper to update to Anydvd HD.

Will this solve my problem, or are you guys telling me I basically can't get BD without upgrading my video card as well?

Others may say differently, but I honestly wouldn't without better system specs.

Clearly the best option would be to test both Anydvd HD and Powerdvd Ultra on your system. But I don't control trial period rules for either program.

hey I know how you feel. I have been having a very hard time getting a system up and running.

I bought a philips drive and and put in my older computer a p4 3.0 with an ati 1650 and it would not play BD disc and the the drive specs said it would ,just barely.So for almost $400 more I build a whole new computer. Now I have an amd 2x 5000+ and an ati 2600 and it has played everything I have put in it.

Now PDVD has played all of the discs but is yet to play even one rip. I have an earlier post about this. I am about to try arcsoft total media player if it works

IT WORKS IT WORKS:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

forget powerdvd.

based on what I have been through unless you are ready to start over from scratch you may be wasting your time. just my 2 cents

hey I know how you feel. I have been having a very hard time getting a system up and running.

I bought a philips drive and and put in my older computer a p4 3.0 with an ati 1650 and it would not play BD disc and the the drive specs said it would ,just barely.So for almost $400 more I build a whole new computer. Now I have an amd 2x 5000+ and an ati 2600 and it has played everything I have put in it.

Now PDVD has played all of the discs but is yet to play even one rip. I have an earlier post about this. I am about to try arcsoft total media player if it works

IT WORKS IT WORKS:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

forget powerdvd.

based on what I have been through unless you are ready to start over from scratch you may be wasting your time. just my 2 cents

Funny I found the oposite and bought the PDVD the other week.
I use iso's and originals. Im just about to start trying Blu-Ray.

We can't make everything blink at you

Ok, I have had this program for a while. These people don't seem to make it easy to update or purchase products. Everytime I get an update notification it takes me to a purchase website. Why don't they have an UPDATE link so you just click on it and it updates your current copy. I'm always scared its going to overwrite my purchased copy with a 21 day trial copy.

This opening statement also needs to be addressed:

The "downloads" are both trials and updates. At the bottom of the page where all the downloadables are listed, you see this text:

How to Update
If you have already installed one or more of our products you can easily update them by installing the most recent version on top of them. Your computer must be restarted for the updated version to work properly.
:doh:

Where's the problem?
Same with the upgrade license for HD. It's right there on the purchase page.

Don't people read anymore today? :(

Rebuild

I went through a few AGP cards at Xmas, I took them back and got a new Abit motherboard with PCI and got a real card, an 8500 GT silent, awesome. I put in 3G of ram, I got optical sound out. All just to play HD.
I have a PD 940 3.2 and I just watched Resident Evil off the Hard drive my CPU hummed at 37%. The GPU has to take most of the load for a great experience. HD is not like a little DVD. I found out.

one of the things I have and it looks like it will work, I have and older Echo Mona soundcard with breakout box. It is 24/96 and it has 6 XLR or RCA analog outs that can configured for 5.1 trueHD output. That has to be better than the little miny adapters for the onboard sound

oh I figured out what I was doing wrong, with the correct PDVD version it works great

Last edited:
I thought trueHD was 7.1?

yes you are right but in my case My processor has a 5.1 analoge input. It's a highend unit but a few years old. It has an upgade path but even does not include hdmi and I lose most of my warranty there is still about 16 years of warranty left.

I was looking at many of the titles at blockbuster and the ones I saw were 5.1. I think I can live with 5.1 for full bandwidth audio. I'm yet to hear it. It's in for sevice

Back